7pm kick off v PNE

Our players are still strangers....

And Preston have two weeks' training advantage on us, and they're a league higher, and they have better players...etc.

These games against better opposition are good for getting the fitness up.

They need to balanced with when we're think we are going to win the league after beating, say, Stirling Albion something like 5-0 in a week or two...

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely no one gives a :censored:e about pre season friendlies? Nothing more than gloryfied training sessions. Any game you can make 10 subs should be played behind closed doors.

£10 for a glorified kickabout is a joke really.....I stopped going to friendlies a while ago. Might as well just go and watch them training.

Cameron Burgess gave away a very very lazy penalty, both hands on both shoulders and pulled Beckford back for no reason whatsoever - hope he matures quickly because that was school boyish, apart from that defended reasonably.

Mantack lad from youths better than Law.

Mackay looks really good.

The rest of them didn't really get into the game, as to be expected from a frienly and hardly knowing each other.

Our players are still strangers....

And Preston have two weeks' training advantage on us, and they're a league higher, and they have better players...etc.

These games against better opposition are good for getting the fitness up.

They need to balanced with when we're think we are going to win the league after beating, say, Stirling Albion something like 5-0 in a week or two...

i'd rather get beat against better teams than play well against non league opposition. Builds up the fitness levels and demands more in terms of technique.

Still, i reckon we do need a couple of quality signings. Physical strength gets you so far, then you need a bit of quality to give you an edge.

i'd rather get beat against better teams than play well against non league opposition. Builds up the fitness levels and demands more in terms of technique.

Still, i reckon we do need a couple of quality signings. Physical strength gets you so far, then you need a bit of quality to give you an edge.

The quality will become apparent once Conor enters the fray.

Its the team formation I'm more concerned about, in both games 5-3-2 has been lamentable,leaving virtually no attacking options.If SR persists with that formation goals scored will be fewer than last season.

The only time we looked like scoring was during a brief spell of 4-4-2.

Edited by BP1960

The only time we looked like scoring was during a brief spell of 4-4-2.

Apart from the time it went in the back of net... Agree though the 442 looks much more comfortable for the back 4 aswell, the two centre backs either side of Clarke struggled in the first half and were getting pulled all over the place, but Burgess looked twice the player in second half in a back 4.

Played much better when we went 4-4-2. Impressed with Woodland when he came on. Mantack looks decent, needs to be abit quicker reacting though which should come through playing more games.

Sign the second half trialist up. Erwin looks a decent prospect aswell.

How many more players will we sign and in what positions? Prior to the two today, Robinson intimated around 4 or 5

Trialist first half played midfield so probably another CM likely to come in. Need another striker at least, winger and left back cover.

Just seen the game on PNE Player and glad I didn't go with players clearly just going through the motions. One thing I did notice was that Winchester even though only coming on in the second half hardly touched the ball but when the camera was on him close up he looked red as a beetroot and quite clearly knackered

Quick summary; 5-3-2 awful to watch.

Ripley: Good shot stopper, but typical of today's keepers, doesn't collect crosses.

Law: Sluggish,not what you want from a wing back, he needs to improve quickly.

Reckford; Decent,needs to get some crosses in from wing back.

Wilson; Steady as usual.

Clarke; Solid will do well for us.

Burgess;Commanding until his silly penalty giveaway.

Flynn; I'm sure we will see better from him.

Banks; Looked totally lost.

Trialist (Beautyman) Never in it, if that was a trial to win a contract he didnt show enough.

Erwin; Looks a yard off the pace, hopefully he will improve.

Cassidy; No change.

Subs;

Croft;Very busy again.

Mantack; Got forward well, much quicker than Law.

McKay; Very lively, could prove a good signing.

Klok; Steadied the midfield.

Winchester; Played behind McKay, not much impact.

Woodlands; An improvement on Banks.

Trialist winger; Only small, great strike for his goal. will have to see him again.

Edmundson: Ok.

Edited by BP1960

Wilson; Steady as usual.

Banks; Looked totally lost.

Only two I disagree with.

I thought Wilson looked out of his depth and Banks was a bit better than 'lost'. Big lump in midfield should be useful.

It is worrying that we don't have an assigned set piece taker though.

First half was dreadful. Long ball and no width, things only changed when he brought on some width in Croft and trialist. Trialist beat every man for pace fear he's too short for league football no question he's talented.

Again unfortunately we don't look anywhere near scoring, going to be hoof ball and scrappy one nil wins if these friendlies are anything to go by. Special mention to Jake Cassidy who consistently ran into players instead of making space and not giving any effort at all. I'd make all efforts to get him shipped out immediately.

Edited by Kusunga_Is_God

Only two I disagree with.

I thought Wilson looked out of his depth and Banks was a bit better than 'lost'. Big lump in midfield should be useful.

It is worrying that we don't have an assigned set piece taker though.

It's Flynn but he's only played for 45 both games