7pm kick off v PNE

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From what we've heard about and from Robinson, I'm expecting us to be unspectacular.

If we win matches it'll be popular, if we aren't winning I'd expect it to cause disgrutlement.

That being said, there's been good words about McKay, but I don't think we've got nearly enough firepower in midfield to create many chances.

From what we've heard about and from Robinson, I'm expecting us to be unspectacular.

If we win matches it'll be popular, if we aren't winning I'd expect it to cause disgrutlement.

That being said, there's been good words about McKay, but I don't think we've got nearly enough firepower in midfield to create many chances.

Unfortunately the Creme de le Creme of Midfielders and Strikers (the ones that create and score goals) are always going to be beyond our reach.

Robinsons attempt to out battle teams (alla Sam Allardyce teams in the Prem) is probably the best chance we have.

Unfortunately the Creme de le Creme of Midfielders and Strikers (the ones that create and score goals) are always going to be beyond our reach.

Robinsons attempt to out battle teams (alla Sam Allardyce teams in the Prem) is probably the best chance we have.

Who's going to create and score goals apart from McKay, I can't see Erwin scoring many, nothing will come from midfield and we all know about Cassidy.

Agree about 5-3-2, Defense seemed all at sea first 15 minutes but slowly got into it. I thought we really struggled with the midfield, every time we cleared the ball it came straight back. We improved with the change to 4-4-2 and i thought Klok and Woodland got on the ball well. The trialist really gave us impetus and started to stretch them. A decent performance against a strong side IMO.

Ripley - Thought he had a decent game, not much he could have done with the goals and made some good stops. Distribution wasn't too bad either.

Law - Wasn't sure on him, didn't look brilliant defensively and didn't pose much of an attacking threat.

Wilson - Steady performance, struggled against their quicker players.

Clarke - Vocal, leader. Exactly what we needed. Was at fault for 1st goal IMO though.

Burgess - Decent performance, Silly to give away that penalty.

Reckord - Thought he looked good, attacked well, solid at the back.

Flynn - Looked like he could be a threat but struggled to get involved, set pieces poor.

Banks - Think he'd be better if/when we have the ball more.

Trialist 1 - Looked off the pace but got more and more into it, stuck his foot in, wouldn't be a bad squad player.

Cassidy - Can't fault his effort but his ability is another question, really don't see where he fits in.

Erwin - Held the ball up better than cassidy, can't see him bagging many.

Subs

Mantack - Looked good, really wanted to get into the game, looked lively, attacked well.

Edmundson - Wasn't on long enough to give a real impression.

Woodland - Got on the ball and along with Klok made us tick.

Klok - Got on the ball a lot, sprayed it about. What we missed in the first half.

Trialist 2 - Oh yes, looked a threat from minute 1. Not afraid to run at the opposition or shoot. Great goal, great energy. Sign him up!

Winchester - Only played 15 minutes or so but somehow still looked off the pace, might not have helped that it was very scrappy by then.

Croft- If he can replicate that level of performance all season he'll be useful.

Mckay - Not afraid to shoot, made some nice runs, should have scored. Could be the goalscorer we've been missing.

Plenty of positives, plenty of negatives - just what you want from a pre-season game.....

For me stand outs tonight were;

Mantack - could be the right wing back SR needs with law as sub. Great ability looked comfortable on the ball with a great engine and loves the overlap!! Exciting player to watch this season.

Klok - very much reminds me of weslowski no nonsense gets the ball back sprays it around. Real steadying force in the midfield. Would be getting him on a 2 year deal. The lad really seems to want to do well for the club a real hard working engine

McKay - oozes class. Runs the channels loves a lost cause and has the confidence to have a pop. Just hope we can bring in one more striker to add to the goals.

Martis - little lad with one hell of a 30 yard burst!! Technique isn't quite there or the composure but he excites the fans with his pace. Even prestons quickest couldn't keep up with him! Will come quite cheap I would think would be a decent player for the last ten against tired legged opposition if not starting but would like to see him again.

Edited by adamoafc

Tonight's trialist was, Liandro Martis after a very lot of searching (found him), very quick on the ball, beat most of PNE players easily and scored a wonder goal from about 30 yards, sign him up.

Lofty

i'd rather get beat against better teams than play well against non league opposition. Builds up the fitness levels and demands more in terms of technique.

Still, i reckon we do need a couple of quality signings. Physical strength gets you so far, then you need a bit of quality to give you an edge.

Didn't go but fully agree with post

Lots of sweeping judgements being made here off the back of two training games...

This! A hundred times this. So if we turn over AFC Fylde on Saturday will that have any more bearing on how good the new squad players are? Let's not jump to decisions until we have seen out August at least.

Having not been to the Hudds game and just judging off last nights showing, I'll throw my two penneth in:

- 5-3-2 is absolutely dreadful to watch when the wing backs aren't bombing forward putting crosses in.

- The 2 big lads up top became absolutely ineffective given there were no crosses for them to get on the end of but I doubt they'd have won the headers anyway given neither of them won one all game.

- Ripley looks a good shot stopper.

- Law doesn't look good enough to be a starter, I felt Mantack was better and looks quite an exciting prospect!

- Burgess looks exactly what we need. Won absolutely everything when they were lumping it forward. However, absolutely stupid of him to be grabbing their man for the pen, but I'm sure he'll be told about that.

- We know Flynn will play better than that so not too worried really. Don't think he was helped by Banks and Beautyman being pretty invisible.

- Erwin has great physique and if he can be coached on how to use it he'll be an asset. However, he looked pretty clueless on how to be a big man up top. Maybe that's not his game. Time will tell.

- Cassidy was poor. Won absolutely nothing in the air and offers zero threat to goal with the ball at his feet. Waste of a wage for me.

- McKay looks decent! Quite excited by him if we can give him some service!

- Martis looked like the new Sydney Schmeltz when he spooned his first effort vertically up in the air. However, he then beat one of their men with a superb little flick and turn and all of a sudden, everyone sat up and got a little excited. Then he takes one of those dreaded short corners, gets it back, and unleashes a cracking 25 yarder into the top corner. What I liked best though was him not celebrating the fact he's scored a screamer whilst on trial, giving him a good chance of earning a contract and instead him sprinting back to the centre circle wanting to get back into the game.

Overall plenty of positives and plenty of negatives which you'd fully expect in your 2nd pre season friendly against a Championship side.

As someone said, I'd rather lose to a Championship side than beat a non league side and give us a false sense of greatness.

This season is going to be tough and we need fighters and battlers. I feel we have a few of those.

Having not been to the Hudds game and just judging off last nights showing, I'll throw my two penneth in:

- 5-3-2 is absolutely dreadful to watch when the wing backs aren't bombing forward putting crosses in.

- The 2 big lads up top became absolutely ineffective given there were no crosses for them to get on the end of but I doubt they'd have won the headers anyway given neither of them won one all game.

- Ripley looks a good shot stopper.

- Law doesn't look good enough to be a starter, I felt Mantack was better and looks quite an exciting prospect!

- Burgess looks exactly what we need. Won absolutely everything when they were lumping it forward. However, absolutely stupid of him to be grabbing their man for the pen, but I'm sure he'll be told about that.

- We know Flynn will play better than that so not too worried really. Don't think he was helped by Banks and Beautyman being pretty invisible.

- Erwin has great physique and if he can be coached on how to use it he'll be an asset. However, he looked pretty clueless on how to be a big man up top. Maybe that's not his game. Time will tell.

- Cassidy was poor. Won absolutely nothing in the air and offers zero threat to goal with the ball at his feet. Waste of a wage for me.

- McKay looks decent! Quite excited by him if we can give him some service!

- Martis looked like the new Sydney Schmeltz when he spooned his first effort vertically up in the air. However, he then beat one of their men with a superb little flick and turn and all of a sudden, everyone sat up and got a little excited. Then he takes one of those dreaded short corners, gets it back, and unleashes a cracking 25 yarder into the top corner. What I liked best though was him not celebrating the fact he's scored a screamer whilst on trial, giving him a good chance of earning a contract and instead him sprinting back to the centre circle wanting to get back into the game.

Overall plenty of positives and plenty of negatives which you'd fully expect in your 2nd pre season friendly against a Championship side.

As someone said, I'd rather lose to a Championship side than beat a non league side and give us a false sense of greatness.

This season is going to be tough and we need fighters and battlers. I feel we have a few of those.

Not sure about mini Schmelz yet, need to see more of him. Have the club some doubts though having not signed him after I assume he's been training regularly with the squad?

Id say proven pace and end product for a winger at this level would be well out of our price range. So we'll have to take a gamble on someone. Fingers crossed we've found a gem (and tie him to a decent deal)