Jimmy Frizzell's all time best team?

Andy Goram was there at the time. Not sure how many games he played in the first team during Jimmy Frizz's time but fondly through I remember Harry Dowd and Chris Ogden on particular I think Goram would shade those two.

You got me on that one. I thought Goram came afterwards. I'd change my goalie to Goram. Let's face it, he's the club's best keeper in living memory.

Got me, too. I thought Joe Royle signed Goram. I was going to go for Dowd/Best, but Goram it is.

Goram

Ledger

Hicks

Futcher (P)

Whittle

Frizzell

Johnstone

Palmer

Groves

Lister

Shaw

Edited by Bristolatic

I would consider Mike Lester for the midfield, Wood, Whittle Groves, Stainrod absolute shoe ins.

I was going to go for Wood, but decided on Ledger as he could play literally anywhere. In fact, I think he did play every position for Latics except in goal. And he'd have probably done that if he had to.

Never saw Ledger play, just before my time. happy days though Bristol.

Nice little story about Bob Ledger; apologies if I've told it before. Stood right behind the wall just to the left of the goal in the Chaddy with my girlfriend at the time. For reasons best known to herself, she had a wicker shopping basket with her and, rather than hold on to it, she placed it on the running track in front of the wall. Latics had a strike at goal, missed, and the ball lodged itself in the shopping basket, bounced against the wall and on to the edge of the pitch. Bob Ledger ran up, extricated the ball from the basket and handed it back to my girlfriend saying, "Can we have our ball back, please?"

Guest nonaenever

This thread really does show what quality we had back then - and indeed how footballers generally were better "quality" compared to now ( I really do believe that). David Shaw was one of the best strikers I witnessed - amazing pace from a standing start - scored a cracker at Liverpool away in the FA cup when we lost 3-1 from memory. Seem to recall him being sold to WBA for £80,000 which, way back then, was an awful lot of money. Got him back I think some time later. Was saddened by a turnout of only around 2,000 for his testimonial against Blackburn at home. Real quality player who, along with Alan Groves, provided great entertainment.

Can anybody remember Maurice Whittle missing a penalty? His trademark was to absolutely hammer it low and hard into either bottom corner with unerring accuracy. "Knee over the ball" my Dad used to say, "and you'll never miss a penalty, just watch Maurice". Simple stuff really - why don't they coach like that anymore ? So many, so called "superstars" ballooning penalties over!

Happy days the Frizz days were for sure - great memories!

Nice little story about Bob Ledger; apologies if I've told it before. Stood right behind the wall just to the left of the goal in the Chaddy with my girlfriend at the time. For reasons best known to herself, she had a wicker shopping basket with her and, rather than hold on to it, she placed it on the running track in front of the wall. Latics had a strike at goal, missed, and the ball lodged itself in the shopping basket, bounced against the wall and on to the edge of the pitch. Bob Ledger ran up, extricated the ball from the basket and handed it back to my girlfriend saying, "Can we have our ball back, please?"

Bob Ledger was probably the best crosser of a ball from full back in my time. A certainty for the subs bench because he could play well anywhere.

Then there's Alan Williams, a tough, but cultured centre back. And oh for a Colin Whitaker style winger and a Bert Lister goalscorer now.

Edited by BP1960

Bob Ledger was probably the best crosser of a ball from full back in my time. A certainty for the subs bench because he could play well anywhere.

Then there's Alan Williams, a tough, but cultured centre back. And oh for a Colin Whitaker style winger and a Bert Lister goalscorer now.

And the industry of John Colquhoun.

Confused over the Andy Goram / Frizzel thing I would have sworn he was a Royal signing - I well remember his 'debut' in a pre season friendly at Chadderton, we were sat on the grass bank behind the goal when he came out, we were expecting Peter McDonnell. None of us knew him so I shouted out " who the fk are you?" He turned around to us and said "Andy Goram - and don't you forget it!"

But then again I remember Royals first game in charge away at a friendly in Macclesfield - a dour affair - he was sat up in the stands in front of us rather than on the bench and after a painful first hour we kept badgering him to get his boots on have a go - he just turned around, laughed and said no.

So I guess the two memories don't add up and Goram must be a Frizzell signing

Anyhow - best Jimmy Frizzell team ...... hhmmmmm to hard

this is my 'favourite' Jimmy Frizzell team - not the best

Goram - ( if Frizzell signing )
Wood
Blair
Futcher
Clements
Keegan
Kowenicki
McDonough
Valentine

Wylde

Palmer

Edited by Stagger Lee

Paul Heaton - did play for England under 21 but never fulfilled his potential for some reason - last heard of as a manager over in Finland

Paul Atkinson - never played for England under 21 but did play for Watford in a FA cup final, I never rated him at all and was surprised he got bought for so much and even more surprised we paid money to get him back.

Jon Platt - nothing between him and Peter McDonnell for me, checked Wiki and does not mention he played for England under 21