On a scale of 1 -10 how confident are you ahead of the new season

159 members have voted

1. 1. How confident are you in this team for this season?

• 1- We are screwed and we will be down by christmas
    • 10 We are going to Leicester City the fuck out of this season and will storm the league

So going into this season how are we feeling about our chances overall.

On the surface of it this summer has been a bit of a disaster, we've had a very popular manager leave going as far as to drop down a division to get away from the place, we've had a winding up petition, we've had all our best players from last season leave and of the players that are still here the names Brown, Croft, and Cassidy were on everyone's "get rid" list in May. Our results in pre-season have been fairly shambolic no wins including defeats to footballing powerhouses Fylde and Grimsby, and our team appears to have 2 rather fatal characteristics of having a shaky defence, and an impotent strike force, and we are red hot favourites with the bookies for relegation.

Despite this I'm not detecting that much despondency from the fan base on here, people are concerned about results obviously we have seen a protest group formed and while it hasn't been particularly well thought out protest group (it has polarised the fans rather than bring them together to fight for a common goal) many of us would admit their concerns are legitimate ones, yet overall people are genuinely expecting the same as previous seasons.

Are we becoming complacent about our league 1 status? I think as a club that's a dangerous place to be if we think we are going to stay up regardless then that's the point we will probably drop to the division below.

Is it because we now have what appears to be a competent management team which has a good mix of experience and innovation to be able to solve the problems that come their way. I think certainly hope we haven't finished our transfer business yet the current squad is 2 maybe 3 bodies light a couple of wide players and a striker seems to be the general consensus.

I say this because despite a number of glaring problems this season and we all the hierarchy’s ability to Feck things up royally I'm not detecting that much overall concern arguably there was more concern last year when we hired an absolute no mark as first team manager.

I've added a poll

Edited by GlossopLatic

Good well-rounded post Glossop.

Not sure whether it's complacency or resignation when it comes to fans feelings and relegation. For me it's the latter. We could stay up and my guess is that this squad and management will at least put up a fight, but as a club over the last few years we've made enough poor decisions and mistakes that it would be unsurprising if we did go down.

Still buzzing about opening day though. Win, lose or draw, if the team put up a good fight they'll have my backing.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

Shaky defence? I'd say it's been reasonably solid. Definitely better than it was last season until Gerrard came in.

Mckay and Erwin both look decent players, just need some service from the wingers (when we eventually sign some).

We've finally got some experienced players for the start of the season, no longer look like we will be bullied and haven't really been outclassed by any of the 3 championship teams we've played. I'd say we are 3 players away from a relatively complete squad (couple of wingers and a striker) and then any replacements for anyone leaving that Robinson suggested last week.

I think we are (finally) going to be that horribly efficient team that everyone hates playing because they are well organised and always seem to grind out a decent result.

I can't bloody wait.

Shaky defence? I'd say it's been reasonably solid. Definitely better than it was last season until Gerrard came in.

Mckay and Erwin both look decent players, just need some service from the wingers (when we eventually sign some).

We've finally got some experienced players for the start of the season, no longer look like we will be bullied and haven't really been outclassed by any of the 3 championship teams we've played. I'd say we are 3 players away from a relatively complete squad (couple of wingers and a striker) and then any replacements for anyone leaving that Robinson suggested last week.

I think we are (finally) going to be that horribly efficient team that everyone hates playing because they are well organised and always seem to grind out a decent result.

I can't bloody wait.

Word for word, this.

We're still at least two players away from a first team that I feel we can progress into the top half.

I think in the middle of park we have some good players but need that injection of pace and guile on the flanks and a decent striker.

We're not as bad as what the pundits are suggesting but their assessment is more based on our situation a fortnight or so again. We could surprise but will be left wanting towards the business end of the season

For me a 6

I detect that glossop is very concerned.

Usually I'm in the happy clapper camp so when I think we are going to struggle others on here usually think we are doomed.

I'm trying to assess the mood generally going into the new season. Looking at the board a lot of people have concerns about the club yet it appears as though most think come May we will still be a league 1 club. Unless we bring in 2-3 more I'm not so sure we will be.

We're still at least two players away from a first team that I feel we can progress into the top half.

I think in the middle of park we have some good players but need that injection of pace and guile on the flanks and a decent striker.

We're not as bad as what the pundits are suggesting but their assessment is more based on our situation a fortnight or so again. We could surprise but will be left wanting towards the business end of the season

For me a 6

Martis and Magennis and we're sorted.

Currently, I think we will struggle to stay up. The squad hasn't any pace. Strikers who are not scoring. No loan signings during the season.

If we get some pace in and another Striker - we could be ok.

With no loan signings, Injuries will play a massive part. Is that squad big / good enough to cope? I doubt it.

At the moment, I'm 5. I don't think the squad is shaping up that badly considering the absolute cluster:censored: it was looking like even a short few weeks back, we've seemingly added some nice signings, and I expect more to follow as the squad takes shape, whether on loan or permanent, we have some exciting youngsters in Edmundson & Mantack who could easily develop with the right management, and it looks like we're putting together an interesting set up with O'Driscoll, Turnbull etc, which shows a surprisingly refreshing element of forward thinking from Corney et al.

I think what concerns me most is the lack of depth at present, and also the lack of quality permanent players - what appears to be our 2 first choice strikers are both on loan, and it looks like we'll be relying a lot on those 2 to get goals, with only Osei, who I can imagine playing a lot more than was initially intended, & Cassidy as back up at present. Unsure if Magennis would be the answer, or if we can even get him, but Robinson obviously rates him. Hopefully we'll add some pace & someone who can give us that spark of creativity, as if pre season is anything to go by, it's clearly something we're missing.

Also, and clearly I hope I'm proved wrong on this, although Robinson impresses me with his personality and desire, I just get that sinking feeling of yet again having to chance it on a manager in his first role in charge of a team and having to go through the process of learning from the inevitable mistakes he will make all over again. Hopefully those years as an assistant & coach will hold him good stead as opposed to other recent appointments straight out of the game, but I'm seriously fearing another man at the helm who just defaults to what they learned on their license course, playing that same low risk, lifeless, defensive football with no Plan B like we've seen for pretty much 6 of the last 7 seasons.

I wish him the very best of luck, but I can't help being weary.

Edited by cheshire_latic

I think we are still 2/3 decent players short of being competitive.

I think it will be a very difficult start, but hopefully we can find some improvement from somewhere, and stay above the relegation places. (At least that's the dream, anyway).

if that's your idea of dreaming wtf are your nightmares like?

If it was the same division as last season I'd be confident we'd make mid-table.

The league is far stronger than the one we let David Dunn manage in though, and that's what makes me think we'll struggle.

We're gonna have to rely on excellent coaching and management to stay up and push on. The nailed-on relegation tag will hopefully make some underestimate us early on and create a decent togetherness too.

If it was the same division as last season I'd be confident we'd make mid-table.

The league is far stronger than the one we let David Dunn manage in though, and that's what makes me think we'll struggle.

We're gonna have to rely on excellent coaching and management to stay up and push on. The nailed-on relegation tag will hopefully make some underestimate us early on and create a decent togetherness too.

To people really think the league massively differentiates each year? I just get the impression this is an owtb myth. While we may have one season where a couple of bigger clubs come down its generally not that different. Certainly not different enough to make a team go from mid table to relegated.

Teams do that but it's not because of the change in strength of the league. If Burton played in this league this season plated the way they did last year they would still be there or thereabouts cone may.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Agree, teams are in this league on merit regardless of the size of the club. You only occasionally get a Norwich or a Southampton running away with it.

And the season Southampton ran away with it, they came 2nd behind Brighton.

There's an unpredictable nature to this league which keeps most of the games exciting.