Today's Attendance

Guest nonaenever

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nonaenever

This is the issue - they won't be coming back! I've been a Latics fan for around 40 years and haven't been to a match the last two seasons, not because I'm fickle but because (for the umpteen reasons all well documented) I choose not to go again until Corney is gone and then, there will be a decision to be made. People who label the stayaways as fickle show incredible naivety. It would also be wrong to label everyone who still goes to BP as happy clappers. I fear for the club at the moment unless new owners are found quickly. We're nearing the point of no return.

"I`ve been a Latics fan for....." - should that not be "I WAS a Latics fan for....." - if you haven't been for 2 seasons, you can't call yourself a fan - sorry.

If you haven't been for a couple of seasons your still a fan, there may be an argument that your not a supporter but being a fan is something you can be without attending, I didn't go as often as I'd of liked for a few seasons it didn't make me any less of a fan.

Big difference there though, I have family members who for whatever reason don't attend games (Clayton and Lookers demolition are two of the main ones), they haven't moved on to supporting other teams they just don't attend games at BP, they've watched Latics since I was a kid all over the country they just don't go or more to the point got out of the habit of going, are you saying just because they look out for their results or listen on the radio they are any less of a fan than you?

I do all the time, that's just the way it is though. When Lookers shut where they had their season tickets for 20 plus years they had one season in the Main Stand - hated it and have never renewed or returned despite a brand new facility eventually replacing it, you can't force people to go unfortunately and the saddest part is I'm not sure they will ever go back.

A fan is just a fan regardless of whether they attend or not, if people who go every game want to class themselves as some sort of super fan then let them crack on. I'm a fan of Radiohead the fact I've never seen them live doesn't make me any less/more of a fan than the next man.

Like i said on another thread yesterday the pretentious nature of some of our fans is unbelievable its as if you'be been brainwashed

Guest nonaenever

Big difference there though, I have family members who for whatever reason don't attend games (Clayton and Lookers demolition are two of the main ones), they haven't moved on to supporting other teams they just don't attend games at BP, they've watched Latics since I was a kid all over the country they just don't go or more to the point got out of the habit of going, are you saying just because they look out for their results or listen on the radio they are any less of a fan than you?

Find it incredible that anyone would stop supporting their football club because a certain stand (or bar) has been demolished. I just can't get my head around that. It's like saying if we had built the new ground (wherever that may have ended up) you would simply stop supporting the club (i.e. because your favourite stand has now gone) - nope will never understand that rationale.

Guest nonaenever

Fans are interested in the club.

Supporters support the club.

That's my take on it anyway.

The word fan is ultimately derived from the Latin (fanaticus) - and that indicated an ATTENDEE at a temple who was particularly passionate in his/her beliefs. A fan, strictly speaking, therefore should attend the temple - in our case BP. Sorry to split hairs !

"I`ve been a Latics fan for....." - should that not be "I WAS a Latics fan for....." - if you haven't been for 2 seasons, you can't call yourself a fan - sorry.

Think that's being a tad harsh. There are various good reasons why a fan may not feel able to attend games; these usually revolve around money and/or geography.

Personally though, I think that "they knocked down the bar next door" or "the football is boring" or "I think the chairman is a %£$%£%" just do not count.

Edited by bpmarko

The word fan is ultimately derived from the Latin (fanaticus) - and that indicated an ATTENDEE at a temple who was particularly passionate in his/her beliefs. A fan, strictly speaking, therefore should attend the temple - in our case BP. Sorry to split hairs !

No problem.

That's still my take on it though.

And that was before a fan could listen on the radio, watch on Tv, buy replica shirts online, keep updated on forums...the world has evolved and so has the definition of a fan.

We need to encourage anyone with any form of association to the club to part with money to support no matter how big or small.

How much revenue do you think comes to Prem team's from overseas such as Asia...are they not fans?

Fans are interested in the club.

Supporters support the club.

That's my take on it anyway.

Think that's being a tad harsh. There are various good reasons why a fan may not feel able to attend games; these usually revolve around money and/or geography.

Loads of reasons why people can/do attend or not attend matches.

I think the only time there should be any differentiation over who's a bigger fan than another is when we get a big cup draw.

Why on earth the club don't tell people every season to save ticket stubs in case that happens is beyond me.

If it was the norm for people who could produce, eg, 3 or 5 ticket stubs from home matches, to get second dibs after season ticket holders it would at worst probably result in a few extra quid for the club from people who might not have paid in otherwise.

There's definitely a buzz about them in the office where I work on the wrong side of T'hills.

Just read a piece about them. Cheap tickets, exciting football, good atmosphere - they've sorted a proper singing section. Reaping the rewards for the positivity around the club looking at the start they've made.

Just read a piece about them. Cheap tickets, exciting football, good atmosphere - they've sorted a proper singing section. Reaping the rewards for the positivity around the club looking at the start they've made.

The recruitment of Sean Jarvis was a master stroke for them, he's implemented many great ideas at that club engaging fans - he was also great when here.

The recruitment of Sean Jarvis was a master stroke for them, he's implemented many great ideas at that club engaging fans - he was also great when here.

Can imagine. Their singing section looks great. They've divided the away end and got a load of fans involved. Bet they have a great atmosphere at home matches these days.

Find it incredible that anyone would stop supporting their football club because a certain stand (or bar) has been demolished. I just can't get my head around that. It's like saying if we had built the new ground (wherever that may have ended up) you would simply stop supporting the club (i.e. because your favourite stand has now gone) - nope will never understand that rationale.

You don't seem to understand many things, however, I'm guessing you're more younger than older so will forgive your intransigence