Today's Attendance

Guest nonaenever

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reality is that #1 the Athleticos style is just not compatible with most fans perception of vocal support. It's not the English way

#2 their location within the ground has no attraction to most. Why move to sit in the corner when I can have a vastly better view elsewhere?

#3 They're seen as them and not us.

You're right that the way to combat that is for a good number of fans to make their way to the JFS and make it the proper home end, like you get at Fratton Park, Derby, Molineux, but the reasons above severely impede the chances of that happening imo

Disagree with #3.

The reality is that #1 the Athleticos style is just not compatible with most fans perception of vocal support. It's not the English way

#2 their location within the ground has no attraction to most. Why move to sit in the corner when I can have a vastly better view elsewhere?

#3 They're seen as them and not us.

You're right that the way to combat that is for a good number of fans to make their way to the JFS and make it the proper home end, like you get at Fratton Park, Derby, Molineux, but the reasons above severely impede the chances of that happening imo

I wasn't implying that we all go to sit in the JFS, or that we all go and join the Atletico's, its not everyone's thing.

My point is is that if we want to make a better atmosphere at BP then we need to stop blaming

- Bad accoustic's

- The Athletico's

- Where the Athletico's sit

- A drum

- Crystal Palace

- The originality of the songs

- What the home end is

It comes down to just doing what we want to do and literally opening our mouths and singing more it really is that simple.

I'm not coming from a position of superiority here I hardly sing at home games. I tend to react to whats infront of me, if we have a good period I tend to sing and encourage more so I join in with chants.

Having sat in all the stands over the last 26 years when we get going we are actually alright, I thought the atmosphere at the back end of last season was pretty good as we responded to the players renewed vigour under Sheridan, we just need to be arsed more often.

Buy you have to be somewhat organised to have an atmosphere as it is.

Aside from a few Come On *insert club* and the occasional clap-alongs, I think the football world has established sitting down doesn't create an atmosphere. Then standing in all-seater grounds creates massive issues because of jobsworths.

The likelihood of everyone getting involved is very slim, despite the willingness of yourself, therefore the best bet is to find a concentrated group of fans who actually want to cause a bit of a din, like the Athleticos. That obviously involves organisation to some extent. Unfortunately it's still not significant enough in numbers to be atmospheric, but done the right way and it might...

Win games, crowd comes back, everyone starts singing, problem solved ........ apart from that pesky winning games part

Even when the atmosphere could be great we rarely sang constantly for the whole game.It was always more with the ebb & flow of what was happening on the pitch (or off it :ph34r: ) .

It was a bit like that on Tuesday against Wigan.

Robinson saying his football can bring back fans. Although I enjoyed it to some extent on Saturday, no way lapsed fans will see 0-0's and be enticed back, no matter how competitive we supposedly are (against Walsall).

Will take wins, a promotion race and more reasonably priced tickets. People don't pay to see graft.

http://mobile.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/robinson-hopes-performances-entice-more-supporters-to-games-3250808.aspx

I pay to see graft it's a minimum requirement for me and I get more satisfaction out of watching a player leave it all on the pitch than I do from one who drifts in and out of games, if grafting is good enough for your Ronaldo's it's good enough for our players, one way to get fans back is showing a high level of commitment, with that and the hard work and discipline you get your rewards, prime example being Northern Ireland.

Or the stayaways what with them having stayed away in a very non fickle manner.

This is the issue - they won't be coming back! I've been a Latics fan for around 40 years and haven't been to a match the last two seasons, not because I'm fickle but because (for the umpteen reasons all well documented) I choose not to go again until Corney is gone and then, there will be a decision to be made. People who label the stayaways as fickle show incredible naivety. It would also be wrong to label everyone who still goes to BP as happy clappers. I fear for the club at the moment unless new owners are found quickly. We're nearing the point of no return.

This is the issue - they won't be coming back! I've been a Latics fan for around 40 years and haven't been to a match the last two seasons, not because I'm fickle but because (for the umpteen reasons all well documented) I choose not to go again until Corney is gone and then, there will be a decision to be made. People who label the stayaways as fickle show incredible naivety. It would also be wrong to label everyone who still goes to BP as happy clappers. I fear for the club at the moment unless new owners are found quickly. We're nearing the point of no return.

They're fickle if they come back for big cup games. Otherwise if you have your reasons and stay away then that's fine, your choice

They're fickle if they come back for big cup games. Otherwise if you have your reasons and stay away then that's fine, your choice

What an absolute load of bollocks. So stay away if you want to see an exciting game of football but dont come back if the chance of one occurs.

This product of football isnt and never has been exclusive. You might want it to be Mcfluff but it wont be.

I too will be back when Corney pisses off but I might come to the odd match, probably most likely on an away day

For all the :censored: the noisy protest group got over the summer the fact remains that the silent protest (those numbers drifting away/not renewing) has increased once again over the summer. The silent protest will only continue while Corney remains at the helm. While we align ourselves alongside (or even below) Dale and Bury and talk constantly about punching above our weight our crowds continually (and naturally) reduce year on year. Ever decreasing circles. And the two clubs named don't have a big, shiny new moneymaking stand...but ours will make very little for us. It's a race to the exit...either Corney and his two pals get their first and we have a chance...or................ Edited by boundaryblue80