Today's Attendance

Guest nonaenever

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't have the fiascos we have had over the last 2/3 years in particular and expect no damage.

Granted SR seems a good appointment after all the drama, but it is the drama that has driven ore people away.

Are crowds noticeably lower than a year or two ago?

Yes. Definitely.

15/08/15 - Fleetwood (H)

Att: 4139 (237 away fans) Latics Fans: 3902

13/08/16 - Walsall (H)

Att: 3914 (427 away fans) Latics Fans: 3487

Difference to 2015/16 first home league game: 415 Latics fans

Personally, I think it's poor for anyone to use the "holiday" as an excuse for the drop in attendance. Same weekend as 12 months ago. Similar type opponent. This time it was meant to be a day to pay respect to Sir Jimmy. I certainly sat in the North Stand looking at more empty seats thinking we've lost yet another chunk off our core support. Unless Steve Robinson performs a miracle, the annual drop in attendance will be shown up time and time again this season. And I expect it will be about that 400 amount we saw this weekend. Which is an appalling amount to lose.

This is the issue - they won't be coming back! I've been a Latics fan for around 40 years and haven't been to a match the last two seasons, not because I'm fickle but because (for the umpteen reasons all well documented) I choose not to go again until Corney is gone and then, there will be a decision to be made. People who label the stayaways as fickle show incredible naivety. It would also be wrong to label everyone who still goes to BP as happy clappers. I fear for the club at the moment unless new owners are found quickly. We're nearing the point of no return.

Are you staying away because you think withdrawing your support (& the money you'd spend) might force Corney's hand or for another reason(s)?

First time in 14 seasons I've not had a season ticket. Although I and about 6 other people I go week in week out with we're all on our holidays so wasn't there on Saturday. A point on this, I've never known more of the lads I go with be away for the first game of season, might be similar for other groups but I do believe we'll have lost a chunk of supporters again.

All there for Bury though (which I think will be our poorest following there for years, maybe even less than a 1000?)

Edited by MAC0AFC

There's an ever growing number (I'll call these people The Silent Protesters) that are saying they wont go again until Corney goes but will go to the away games. That comment started 2 or 3 years ago. I know for a fact I'll see many faces on Saturday at Gigg Lane that I've not seen for a good while and not a BP for a long time.

Edited by boundaryblue80

I bought 9 tickets yesterday for the Bury game and was informed we had sold well under 1000

A few years ago we would have smashed the 1800 allocation

Could be wrong but my guess is we will be well down on what we would normally take

I bought 9 tickets yesterday for the Bury game and was informed we had sold well under 1000

A few years ago we would have smashed the 1800 allocation

Could be wrong but my guess is we will be well down on what we would normally take

They went on general sale yesterday, no surprise we've not sold millions yet.....

Are you staying away because you think withdrawing your support (& the money you'd spend) might force Corney's hand or for another reason(s)?

Even when we were in the old second division for umpteen years, at the start of the season I always believed that the club genuinely wanted promotion - I don't anymore so for me it's a pointless (no pun intended although we have two now!) exercise attending including away games which I have enjoyed more for years being honest. Also, I keep hearing "support your club" but how can I when I know spending money at BP doesn't guarantee all of it going back into the football club. I do find the football generally poor to watch in this division - exciting games are few and far between. Plus I have been living in the East Midlands for the last ten years (I'm back temporarily in Uppermill now but will be buying somewhere local soon) so I could easily think of reasons of why a 4-5 hour round trip tp BP could be subsituted for something different. As alluded to earlier I've largely gone to away games these last few years doing more new southern grounds like your Crawleys, Cheltenhams, Colchesters, Stevenages etc

I'm not saying that's me done with Latics, but when you add in the other well documented reasons, I can't return until Corney is gone.

Even when we were in the old second division for umpteen years, at the start of the season I always believed that the club genuinely wanted promotion - I don't anymore so for me it's a pointless (no pun intended although we have two now!) exercise attending including away games which I have enjoyed more for years being honest. Also, I keep hearing "support your club" but how can I when I know spending money at BP doesn't guarantee all of it going back into the football club. I do find the football generally poor to watch in this division - exciting games are few and far between. Plus I have been living in the East Midlands for the last ten years (I'm back temporarily in Uppermill now but will be buying somewhere local soon) so I could easily think of reasons of why a 4-5 hour round trip tp BP could be subsituted for something different. As alluded to earlier I've largely gone to away games these last few years doing more new southern grounds like your Crawleys, Cheltenhams, Colchesters, Stevenages etc

I'm not saying that's me done with Latics, but when you add in the other well documented reasons, I can't return until Corney is gone.

I hear this so much these days, its so sad.

I hate to say 'at the end of the day' but, at the end of the day our :censored:e dwindling home support is pretty much down to one man, Corney.

However, right now I do believe that SC has actually gone for it this season, and I do believe we will be up there when it matters.