Today's Attendance

Guest nonaenever

Disillusioned by on and off field events over the last few years is no excuse for only 3500 Oldham Athletic Fans turning out

New Manager, entirely New Team, First Home League Game of the Season and the day headlined as Jimmy Frizzell Day, every true Oldham Athletic Fan should have turned up yesterday

Apathy can be no excuse for not paying respect to such a Great Club Man and showing our new team management and players what they can expect to have supporting them should they do well on the pitch

Apologies for the language but:

Our fan base is f*$k^n lightweight !!

We have only 3500 true fans and if that's all we have, how on earth do we expect to generate enough £s to build our future

I've struggled myself in recent years with all that's been going on but I wouldn't have missed yesterday for anything :scarf001:

Half our fanbase weren't even born before Frizzell left the club. We've covered just about every reason why the fanbase is reducing year on year namely 20 years of dross and abject failure and no evidence of it changing.

The ONLY way we're going to get lapsed fans back is by winning a few football matches and until that time comes it'll be as you were!!

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4619 at Tranmere this weekend to watch them against Eastleigh.

Amazing what winning matches will do. I remember Doncaster rovers getting 3 figure crowds when they were getting relegated from the league. New owner, challenging at the right end of the conference and suddenly it was 6 or 7 thousand.

Disillusioned by on and off field events over the last few years is no excuse for only 3500 Oldham Athletic Fans turning out

New Manager, entirely New Team, First Home League Game of the Season and the day headlined as Jimmy Frizzell Day, every true Oldham Athletic Fan should have turned up yesterday

Apathy can be no excuse for not paying respect to such a Great Club Man and showing our new team management and players what they can expect to have supporting them should they do well on the pitch

Apologies for the language but:

Our fan base is f*$k^n lightweight !!

We have only 3500 true fans and if that's all we have, how on earth do we expect to generate enough £s to build our future

I've struggled myself in recent years with all that's been going on but I wouldn't have missed yesterday for anything :scarf001:

This sounds like you are saying that any Oldham fan who didn't turn up yesterday, even if they are a season ticket holder is not a true Oldham fan.

Whilst there was a good reason for lapsed Oldham fans of a certain generation to attend yesterday. I think there are many valid reasons for those Oldham fans who aren't lapsed ones to not attend yesterday.

Just because they didn't attend yesterday it doesn't make them not a true Oldham fan

rudemedic and oafc1955,

I'm saying that given a few people might have been working etc and taking your point on many a poor player getting to wear our shirt in recent years, with it being the first home game of the season with new management and a totally new team and it being Jimmy Frizzell Day, 3500 is abysmal

To be frank, I guess I was hoping for just a glimmer that we can change things round

I do like the appointment of Steve Robinson and that we have a totally fresh playing squad and of course the renaming of the Rochdale Road End (hated that name) to The Jimmy Frizzell Stand :chubb:

Yes it Tranmeres best start since 1977 but I think attendance wise they haven't suffered despite a couple of relegations, it's the hope many of our fans have lost but hopefully the new man can give us a bit of that back, hopefully the only way is up.

I think the only way it'll change for the better is a sustained period at the top, in or around the play offs. To end a season with a bit of excitement and start the next with momentum. Attendance would have probably been different yesterday if Shez had stayed.

Offers, cheap tickets, special days. None of that will change it now. It's been too long since there was any sustained period of excitement! Everyone is totally fed up.

Like you say, hopefully this management team will deliver that. As well as a bit of continuity.

Id like to disagree on that one, I sat in the big section of the RRE (north stand side) yesterday and there was a good atmosphere from start to finish

Sat in the Main Stand it's just a muffle and a drum beat. The Walsall fans weren't much louder.

Athleticos are stuffed in the corner, miles from the away fans, which I can't imagine helps.

If we've want an improved atmosphere at Boundary Park then we are going to have to come round to the rather radical idea that more of us need to sing rather than just leaving it to the 20-30 Athleticos.

That includes me as well as I only sing occasionally like singing come on Oldham if we win a corner.

Edited by GlossopLatic

It's difficult to get a 'come on oldham' in now because of the repetitive nature of the chants used, it's no criticism as they really do sing their hearts out but the drum alienates a lot of the home fans from getting involved, when we have a prolonged attack it wouldn't hurt to leave off the drum for a couple of minutes and let everyone else get behind the team, it would feel less staged and would give the rest of the ground a lift in my opinion.

Half our fanbase weren't even born before Frizzell left the club. We've covered just about every reason why the fanbase is reducing year on year namely 20 years of dross and abject failure and no evidence of it changing.

The ONLY way we're going to get lapsed fans back is by winning a few football matches and until that time comes it'll be as you were!!

One of the main reasons for me is that I feel no affinity with any of the players that pull on our shirt. They'll all be gone within 18 months and then we'll get our next batch of loanees and one year deals. I long for a Paul Rickers or Scott McNiven who would play 250-300 apps for us. These days we rarely get anyone to make 100.

I went on Sat and I'm going to go to Bury, but really I'll just sporadically show up whenever I can be arsed, which going off last season won't be often. I still care enough to check the result, log on here every day and follow what's going on via Twitter, but there's not that love any more...

If we've want an improved atmosphere at Boundary Park then we are going to have to come round to the rather radical idea that more of us need to sing rather than just leaving it to the 20-30 Athleticos.

That includes me as well as I only sing occasionally like singing come on Oldham if we win a corner.

The reality is that #1 the Athleticos style is just not compatible with most fans perception of vocal support. It's not the English way

#2 their location within the ground has no attraction to most. Why move to sit in the corner when I can have a vastly better view elsewhere?

#3 They're seen as them and not us.

You're right that the way to combat that is for a good number of fans to make their way to the JFS and make it the proper home end, like you get at Fratton Park, Derby, Molineux, but the reasons above severely impede the chances of that happening imo

Edited by NewBlue