Today's Attendance

Guest nonaenever

Well yes, but that wasn't the point! When I was a kid I would go to a game with my Dad, Uncle and neighbour pretty much every Saturday and while Latics were first choice if they weren't playing at home then we would go to Rochdale or Huddersfield. I doubt that happens much now.

Among many other things, it's far too expensive to watch a team you aren't passionate about.

What Rochdale or Huddersfield fan would pay 24 quid to watch us...?

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well yes, but that wasn't the point! When I was a kid I would go to a game with my Dad, Uncle and neighbour pretty much every Saturday and while Latics were first choice if they weren't playing at home then we would go to Rochdale or Huddersfield. I doubt that happens much now.

I did the same. But if it isnt enjoyable you stop going especially because it is no longer cheap to do so.

I used to go to City or Rochdale when Latics were too far away.

Among many other things, it's far too expensive to watch a team you aren't passionate about.

What Rochdale or Huddersfield fan would pay 24 quid to watch us...?

Why do you have to be passionate about a team to pay to watch? Why would you pay £24 if you were a concession? Why would it be too expensive for the well heeled time on our hands " grey " market.

I fully accept for the young lad or bloke/ woman with mortgage and family casual watching of football is too expensive but they are not the only demographic who watches football.....

Last weekend I flew up from here with my brother to watch the Bolton game. There were no flights back until the Sunday evening so we made the most of it and got the train across to watch Hudds Vs Sheff Wed before heading back.

It never ceases to amaze me just how many opportunities there are to watch football within an hour of Manchester and if I live up there in the future (which I hope to do at some stage) I'd like to think I'd watch a match on the weekend when Latics aren't playing locally.

However I can definitely see that the cost is a barrier that would stop people going to other teams games. £26 at Bolton and £30 at Hudds isn't something I'd be willing to pay regularly for football and that must be across the board for neutrals. I pay £17 at Exeter to stand which I certainly find to be a better experience than sitting and I'd be willing to watch other teams for between £15 and £20 if I had a Latics free weekend, it would be interesting to see if fans in the North West would feel the same if prices were reduced to that level.

Why do you have to be passionate about a team to pay to watch? Why would you pay £24 if you were a concession? Why would it be too expensive for the well heeled time on our hands " grey " market.

I fully accept for the young lad or bloke/ woman with mortgage and family casual watching of football is too expensive but they are not the only demographic who watches football.....

The debate was about this being a dying breed, wasn't it? If it's more rife within the older fan demographic and less common than it once was within the young fan demographic surely that means it is dying...

Other point is clubs make it harder to do so. For example at Latics you can't (in theory) pay on the door as a student without purchasing a laminated piece of plastic for £13 that we already possess for free. That disincentives young people from even attending their own team's fixtures, never mind any other club...

Hopefully some of the younger fans will become older fans one day! By your logic undertakers will go bust when our lot hang up our boots!

It was said earlier (rightly) that it's also dying among young fans, which I attribute to the price, even more unpalatable when you don't actually support the team.

It's about habits, and if you never get the chance to get into the habit it's likely you won't ever really bother...

It was said earlier (rightly) that it's also dying among young fans, which I attribute to the price, even more unpalatable when you don't actually support the team.

It's about habits, and if you never get the chance to get into the habit it's likely you won't ever really bother...

Oh you would be surprised what habits you pick up as you get older......there's probably a whole new thread in it

They have put a survey up on the official website asking fans for their opinion on why attenances are declining.

I'd encourage everyone on here to fill it out - especially those who are currently not attending.

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/supporter-survey-we-want-your-views-3381818.aspx

When they understand the reasons properly they can start thinking about what they can do about it.

They have put a survey up on the official website asking fans for their opinion on why attenances are declining.

I'd encourage everyone on here to fill it out - especially those who are currently not attending.

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/supporter-survey-we-want-your-views-3381818.aspx

When they understand the reasons properly they can start thinking about what they can do about it.

They might not be the brains squad but it can't be that hard to understand why fans don't turn up, survey or not...

They might not be the brains squad but it can't be that hard to understand why fans don't turn up, survey or not...

We're :censored:. We're boring to watch. We already look nailed on for another relegation battle. Our turnover of managers and players is ludicrous, even by modern standards.

Like you say, it's not hard.

It's obvious to us what the issues are but may not be to those in authority who see things from a different perspective.

For example, I doubt that if the manager filled the survey out he'd say it was because we're boring to watch and don't create chances or if Corney filed it out, he'd say it was because the owner was disinterested and lacked ambition.

I've worked in several organisations where survey like this (normally employee statisfaction surveys) are used specifically to convince senior people,who just don't see what everyone else is seeing, of the way the majority of people are thinking.

We're :censored:. We're boring to watch. We already look nailed on for another relegation battle. Our turnover of managers and players is ludicrous, even by modern standards.

Like you say, it's not hard.

Not sure why people get hung up on turnover of managers. Especially when the turnover of players is ridiculous regardless of it a manager stays or moves on anyway (the not my team excuse rarely applies anymore.) And this is from someone who generally backs a manager to the hilt. If a manager isn't right, he isn't right. Although, I maintain 7 games will never be long enough to ascertain that but it wouldn't bother me to sack a manager if they've had a reasonably fair crack at it and they aren't working.

At present with Robbo, it's a case of suck it and see. I can't say he's overly impressed me or shown me we will be right long term. But I also forgive that he's got a :censored: hand of cards to play with. It will come down to weighing up if I feel he is doing the best with what he has got...so far, I'm not sure. As long as we don't get cut off by new year and we have a bit of a run in the cup then his hand of cards SHOULD improve a little.

But getting back on topic, none of the above will inspire anyone to get down to Boundary Park on a regular basis other than blind loyalty.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Not sure why people get hung up on turnover of managers. Especially when the turnover of players is ridiculous regardless of it a manager stays or moves on anyway (the not my team excuse rarely applies anymore.) And this is from someone who generally backs a manager to the hilt. If a manager isn't right, he isn't right. Although, I maintain 7 games will never be long enough to ascertain that but it wouldn't bother me to sack a manager if they've had a reasonably fair crack at it and they aren't working.

At present with Robbo, it's a case of suck it and see. I can't say he's overly impressed me or shown me we will be right long term. But I also forgive that he's got a :censored: hand of cards to play with. It will come down to weighing up if I feel he is doing the best with what he has got...so far, I'm not sure. As long as we don't get cut off by new year and we have a bit of a run in the cup then his hand of cards SHOULD improve a little.

But getting back on topic, none of the above will inspire anyone to get down to Boundary Park on a regular basis other than blind loyalty.

I'm not hung up on it and certainly wouldn't advocate keeping a manager who clearly is a wrong 'un. Kelly for example, should never have been given the job, and had to be binned - having said that, the way he was treated by the club was poor.

But, even when the manager is right, as with Sheridan, they don't want to be here and we end up changing again anyway. Our standard approach, of going for someone cheap with no experience to speak of, will rarely pay off and again result in more chopping and changing. It's difficult for people to identify with a club that has a different manager every season (if not more frequently than that) and a entirely new squad year-on-year.

I'm not hung up on it and certainly wouldn't advocate keeping a manager who clearly is a wrong 'un. Kelly for example, should never have been given the job, and had to be binned - having said that, the way he was treated by the club was poor.

But, even when the manager is right, as with Sheridan, they don't want to be here and we end up changing again anyway. Our standard approach, of going for someone cheap with no experience to speak of, will rarely pay off and again result in more chopping and changing. It's difficult for people to identify with a club that has a different manager every season (if not more frequently than that) and a entirely new squad year-on-year.

Agree with a lot of that. Would love to know what it would've taken to have kept Shez. It wasn't wage as we matched their offer. So he simply must've known it was going to be 2 months of being relatively wage bill free & then "build" from the :censored: that is left in July. And thought, :censored: that, not doing another relegation fraught season. It was a huge chance to steer this club back on some sort of course. Instead, it feels like "Iceberg ahead!" so far.

Edited by boundaryblue80

And it's not cheap.

I was getting grief over my absence this season from someone I see regularly over the summer as he still attends.

He is about 60 if that and I asked does he have a ST or pay on the day-its pay on the day he replied.

So you pay £24, I asked. No he replied we 3 go in as pensioners and when queried he told them to accept it or we all eff off home.

£12 seems about right but I dont know if he has decided now that this is too expensive

Agree with a lot of that. Would love to know what it would've taken to have kept Shez. It wasn't wage as we matched their offer. So he simply must've known it was going to be 2 months of being relatively wage bill free & then "build" from the :censored: that is left in July. And thought, :censored: that, not doing another relegation fraught season. It was a huge chance to steer this club back on some sort of course. Instead, it feels like "Iceberg ahead!" so far.

We didn't match his wage, we offered more than he was on. He left for more money.