Northampton

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You may well be right, if he or anyone else doesn't get the service then you can blame the manager.

I did several posts back! The system needs addressing to get us goals.

We've played well enough without creating enough. Erwin has now started in 3 different positions and Flynn at least 2. We need the right balance.

I see the bigger picture and in it he's not scored any goals since he arrived.

I would like to see hom score of course, but you cant take the England cricket approach like they have done with Vince in the hope things will come good eventually.

When he signed you described him as a goal machine.

Changed your mind after 3 games?

Didn't you know? the premier leagues reserves are full of players that just poach goals with zero service, none of this foraging bollox!

The answer to all our problems!

So who's going to provide this super service laying them on a plate for the waiting McKay to pounce on, are we doomed already - if he's not going to get this service now do we still play him in your opinion?

Edited by BP1960

So who's going to provide this super service laying them on a plate for the waiting McKay to pounce on, are we doomed already - if he's not going to get this service now do we still play him in your opinion?

Maybe you don't...

If Robinson is determined to play one central striker then I'd put Erwin there. If you are playing McKay off Erwin as a 2 then I feel he will more more effective.

My argument is only that it's not McKay's fault and it won't change because a kid comes from the Premier League. We need to find the right balance up front.

We now seem to have that balance at the back & in midfield. A 6ft 3 Erwin playing wide and tracking a winger (although he's done it well) is not right the right job for him to be doing imo. We did create more against Wigan all be it against 10 because he was the central target.

Despite crossing the ball more than in recent years can anybody argue there have been good deliveries especially in open play? It needs to improve.

Having said this could we find our style suits when playing away from home? Millwall aside wgphich I think was a blip Bury will attack us Saturday could we then see the front 3 do their damage when we don't have to dictate play more.

Still very early...

Edited by palmer1

He started the move!! Probably the only time he moved from the centre.

He was in a predatory position when Dunne could have crossed but shot and Croft :censored: his pants in front of goal. He has made runs in to those positions countless times.

Service is a two-way street so why hadn't anyone provided him with any. You manage to pick out the only time he isn't in and around the box as your example. It was also an example of not looking up to see Green on this occasion and providing good service into danger areas. We should have scored from that move...

Green never had the legs against their defender.

Let's make it clear, I'm not writing off Mckay, just saying you're scapegoating everybody else too much for his lack of contribution. Dunne had every right to shoot there, and on another occasion the ball might richoched to Mckay and not Croft. It is partly luck when you put yourself in the correct positions, of course.

However being in the box doesn't mean a player is in space. Any person can stand in an area.

"It’s just the final third and it’s usually the last thing that clicks with a group of players. Lee Erwin is a big threat and I’ve worked with Billy Mckay for a long time so I know what he’s all about and the goals will come.”

- Steve Robinson, last night.

"It’s just the final third and it’s usually the last thing that clicks with a group of players. Lee Erwin is a big threat and I’ve worked with Billy Mckay for a long time so I know what he’s all about and the goals will come.”

- Steve Robinson, last night.

I have known Carl since he was 12 . I know what he is all about and I well get the best out of him

Paraphrase of Robinson last month?

I have known Carl since he was 12 . I know what he is all about and I well get the best out of him

Maybe the best way to get the best from Carl is to treat him the way he currently is.

A couple of weeks back there were supposedly several League 1 and 2 clubs after him, yet nothing has happened.

Maybe the best way to get the best from Carl is to treat him the way he currently is.

A couple of weeks back there were supposedly several League 1 and 2 clubs after him, yet nothing has happened.

Possibly but Carl is not playing and McKay is not scoring despite the rhetoric

Another paraphrase of what he said is

" I know what he is all about and it's about time he delivered . I will get the best out of him but it's still up to him "

Why do we keep banging on about a 20 goal striker? I can't remember the last time we had one, although I'm sure a statto will tell us soon enough. Even if we did get one, he'd never reach 20 unless he was fringing exceptional because he'd be flogged for an undisclosed fee in the January window. We'd be better off getting a pair of average strikers who flew under the radar whilst quietly knocking in 9 each. Have we even had a 9 goal striker in the last few years?

On another note, how good is Ripley? Most promising keeper i've seen in an Oldham shirt for a long time.

Better than this division from the looks of it. Although many keepers who've struggled here could've done with an influence such as Clarke.

Why do we keep banging on about a 20 goal striker? I can't remember the last time we had one

Because if we had one we might do better than 17th every season...

We'd be better off getting a pair of average strikers who flew under the radar whilst quietly knocking in 9 each.

Just no.

Each line in this post could be a contender for the low expectations thread...

He's a centre forward forager not a goal poacher, two different types of player. It's a goal poacher we need.

McKay isn't poaching any, Erwin is doing his job.

BP1960 genuinely surprised at you writing someone off so soon into his time at Oldham, and that comes from someone who enjoys your posts and insight. what concerns you about McKay at this early stage BP?