How comparable are this team to last season's?

Was thinking about the relevance of our record of last season - the terrible home form, the stoic away performances, lack of goals etc. Does having a new manager and an almost entire new set of players render them irrelevant, or do they legitimately carry?

It's funny because a lot of the traits we have seen so far look pretty similar to the ones of the previous season. Is it correlation and not causation, or just a case of early days?

Edited by NewBlue

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was thinking about the relevance of our record of last season - the terrible home form, the stoic away performances, lack of goals etc. Does having a new manager and an almost entire new set of players render them irrelevant, or do they legitimately carry?

It's funny because a lot of the traits we have seen so far look pretty similar to the ones of the previous season. Is it correlation and not causation, or just a case of early days?

so what do you think? I can see a relegation scrap again this season , due to lack of goals.

Guest nonaenever

Think Shez simply had to grind results out to keep us up - and thank the good Lord he did. IF he had still been here this season, I think we would have seen a better brand of football from Shez (compared to the brand he simply had to deliver last season to save us).

I'm honestly not too sure about our manager now. The Euros was probably the most boring football tournament ever witnessed - and we place much emphasis on the credentials of our manager's part in that tournament. We seem negative, very boring but organised (most of the time). It's not a style that's going to attract any admirers (or fans) - personally I hope he changes a bit, once things are fully settled (don't forget, we haven't had a pre-season and the boys are still gelling!)

If we are talking about 12 months ago I would say we are stronger. Up top and midfield we are about the same we are however stronger defensively and we actually have something resembling a semi coherent management team.

If we are comparing to the team that finished the season that finished the season I would say we are slightly weaker. However this team is still developing.

I'm still expecting the 14th to 18th place finish. If we become complacent we could get dragged into a relegation fight. However if we put our minds to it we could finish top 10 and that should be the aim.

Edited by GlossopLatic

I'm honestly not too sure about our manager now. The Euros was probably the most boring football tournament ever witnessed - and we place much emphasis on the credentials of our manager's part in that tournament. We seem negative, very boring but organised (most of the time). It's not a style that's going to attract any admirers (or fans) - personally I hope he changes a bit, once things are fully settled (don't forget, we haven't had a pre-season and the boys are still gelling!)

http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php/topic/49004-a-big-thank-you-well-done-and-if/page-1

2 games ago. It's hard to keep up.

Guest nonaenever

more than 2 games actually but read what I said. I fully expected 6 points from 2 home games against poor opposition - and we were pretty dire in both games (the ref masked a poor performance against Shrewsbury) and got a point. It has to be said, compared to early season (with the exception of Millwall) we have regressed NOT progressed. We look very predictable. It's an emotional rollercoaster, you know, football - you have highs and lows !

I think the playing squad are very similar to last years TBH, but the management is considerably better in my opinion.

Kelly and Dunne were disasters and we needed a minor miracle to stay up.

I still think we will struggle this season, but hopefully not get into the dire position we found ourselves in last season.

This years team is better than last years team.

Better than Pre-Shez - debatable

Better than with Shez - absolutely not

As for the original posters question...

2015/6 - Shambles of a pre-season

2016/7 - Shambles of a pre-season

Sum of all parts equalling the same? It's possibly too early to claim it will. The way we are setting out should be more conducive to playing away from home. With 4 away from the next 6 games this period will give us a better indicator as to where we are heading over the next 9 months.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Better than Pre-Shez - debatable

Really? I'd say comparing the defence at this point last year with this one pretty much ends the debate.

Cornell/Coleman v Ripley

Dieng/Brown/B Wilson v Dummigan

J Wilson v Clarke

Burn v Burgess

Mills v Reckord/Dunne

Not many of those head to heads are won by the class of 2015 and conceding stupid goals early was a big cause of our problems pre Shez/Gerrard.

To answer your original post of which team is better, although results haven't shown it yet...this year's squad by a mile

Reason I say this...which of the players that we had last season would get into this season's team? Kelly and that is probably about it! Maybe Forte should he have been fit (definitely no guarantee there)

That is from 12 months ago which I'm assuming we are comparing ourselves to?

On from that, Kelly and Dunn were absolutely clueless, Robinson seems like he actually has a plan, a plan and a brand of football that sadly quite a few wouldn't like but I quite enjoy seeing a team on the pitch that shows desire, determination and 110% effort (of which we didn't see in my opinion in plenty of games last season)

Let's give this time, I'm sure you all agree that we have to stick with a manager sooner rather than later in order to progress at all

Have we had our best XI together on the pitch yet? Not sure we have.

Given Reckord has played once and that didn't coincide with Dummigan being here I guess not. It's going to be difficult leaving one of the latter and Law out.

Although we have played what I think Robinson would consider his best midfield and attack:

Green-Fane

Flynn

Erwin-Mckay-Ladapo

7 points after 7 games last season

7 points after 7 games this

Whatever your views on which squad is stronger results so far suggest we will finish where we normally do, bottom third.

Although there's no doubting this teams defensive resolve the forward players so far have shown very little and an injury or two to any of Ripley, Clarke, Green or Fane could also have disastrous results for our solidity, fingers crossed for a bit of luck on the injuries front and let's hope and pray our forward players can muster up some meaningful contribution in the next month or two.

Given Reckord has played once and that didn't coincide with Dummigan being here I guess not. It's going to be difficult leaving one of the latter and Law out.

Although we have played what I think Robinson would consider his best midfield and attack:

Green-Fane

Flynn

Erwin-Mckay-Ladapo

They clearly like McLaughlin, positive words for Winchester this week.

7 points after 7 games last season

7 points after 7 games this

Whatever your views on which squad is stronger results so far suggest we will finish where we normally do, bottom third.

Although there's no doubting this teams defensive resolve the forward players so far have shown very little and an injury or two to any of Ripley, Clarke, Green or Fane could also have disastrous results for our solidity, fingers crossed for a bit of luck on the injuries front and let's hope and pray our forward players can muster up some meaningful contribution in the next month or two.

Futile business comparing season results, different teams, different players.

They clearly like McLaughlin, positive words for Winchester this week.

From his two-year deal you'd expect Banks to be ahead of both in the pecking order.

Mclaughlin won't have put himself nearer to the strongest XI after his cameos so far

What I do expect is to see one of Law and Dummigan make a starting appearance at least once in midfield

From his two-year deal you'd expect Banks to be ahead of both in the pecking order.

Mclaughlin won't have put himself nearer to the strongest XI after his cameos so far

What I do expect is to see one of Law and Dummigan make a starting appearance at least once in midfield

They might have another look at 3-5-2 given the need to improve things going forward.

They might have another look at 3-5-2 given the need to improve things going forward.

I thought the same when he mentioned needing another centre back.

Don't think there's much wrong with how we've been playing of late, we just badly need an attacking midfielder to be in form. The play up to the strikers doesn't seem to go through anybody at the moment.