The January Window

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ngoo was excellent against Shrewsbury. With better deliveries into him he'd have surely bagged. Granted, we said the same about Cassidy, but you can only go off what you've seen so far, and I was very impressed for a lad who hasn't played professional football in a couple of years.

Having read about him I'm even more optimistic. He had a terrible injury while trying to find his feet in the game beyond Liverpool. He'll be fresh, has a point to prove and simply is so big that he will be at least a nuisance to most defenders in this league.

TBH I don't think he was any good at Shrewsbury. He had that one bumbling run down the left hand side (which was great viewing I'll admit) but it was more luck than actual skill or intent. He just looks a big, clumsy lump, which is pretty much how he has been summed up at other clubs. Think Walsall fans claim that he's possibly the worst footballer they've ever seen.

Now I will gladly, gladly be proven wrong - I hope he destroy's Chezzy's defence this weekend should he appear - but I really don't think he'll amount to anything remotely useful.

TBH I don't think he was any good at Shrewsbury. He had that one bumbling run down the left hand side (which was great viewing I'll admit) but it was more luck than actual skill or intent. He just looks a big, clumsy lump, which is pretty much how he has been summed up at other clubs. Think Walsall fans claim that he's possibly the worst footballer they've ever seen.

Now I will gladly, gladly be proven wrong - I hope he destroy's Chezzy's defence this weekend should he appear - but I really don't think he'll amount to anything remotely useful.

More or less what was said about Matt Smith when he couldn't catch ours our Droylsdens first team.

More or less what was said about Matt Smith when he couldn't catch ours our Droylsdens first team.

I'll admit to being utterly wrong about Matt Smith. Never for a minute thought he'd be carving out a career at a higher level, until the last couple of months of Dickov's time as manager.

I'll admit to being utterly wrong about Matt Smith. Never for a minute thought he'd be carving out a career at a higher level, until the last couple of months of Dickov's time as manager.

Said the same myself when I saw him play for Droylsden, but I made the mistake of not judging him on his strengths in the air, when Droylsden being an excellent passing side rarely used the aerial route.

However, having seen Ngoo only for a short spell his timing in the air looked extremely poor for a big man, while Smith knew how to attack the ball.

Edited by BP1960

I don't think you are utterly wrong Stevie, apart from the fact he has played at the higher level as you said you didn't think he could. I am sure all his managers felt there was something there and can get something out of him. And to an extent they undoubtedly have.

But he comes on a lot as a supersub, which is begining to dfeine him as a role. He's not quite made it to the level I think he can, which is to be a regular.

His career average is 1 in 5. Good short spell at Bristol City at 1 in 2, but at Fulham its 20 +31 sub apps = 51 for 9 goals. 2 this season.

At Leeds he's had 12 starts, but 21 as sub so 12 in 32 (beter obvs)

I'd say he is enigmatic! We'd kill for his record now though!

Edited by singe

I don't think you are utterly wrong Stevie, apart from the fact he has played at the higher level as you said you didn't think he could. I am sure all his managers felt there was something there and can get something out of him. And to an extent they undoubtedly have.

But he comes on a lot as a supersub, which is begining to dfeine him as a role. He's not quite made it to the level I think he can, which is to be a regular.

His career average is 1 in 5. Good short spell at Bristol City at 1 in 2, but at Fulham its 20 +31 sub apps = 51 for 9 goals. 2 this season.

At Leeds he's had 12 starts, but 21 as sub so 12 in 32 (beter obvs)

I'd say he is enigmatic! We'd kill for his record now though!

His goals ratio per minutes on the pitch must be up there with the best though.

Big winners Dale with 3.7 million for losing nothing.

Bury signed a few? Beggars belief how other youth set ups get big money when ours has a good track record at youth level.

Still think its going to be a big struggle - Clarke will now be under pressure from some fans re "wanting to leave" hope the pro in him proves doubts unfounded.

Dale fans want them to fix the main stand toilets-no excuse now!

Clarke shouldnt be under any pressure at all. If a players wants away just overprice him-Scunny cheeky t--ts.

Edited by ChaddySmoker

I think you saw what you wanted to see

Believe me, I never want to see a :censored: player playing for Oldham.

Granted I don't have much choice in the matter, but I don't want to see it.

I'm not saying you want :censored: players at Oldham, but you probably went into Shrewsbury - like several of us did - thinking he would be.

He definitely wasn't anywhere near as bad as you've portrayed him to be. Nor was he some kind of simple lump.

The fact you've said a run in which he brilliantly held off three players yet continued to go forwards was 'luck' says it all for me. How can you know it's luck if you've never seen him play before? Surely luck has to be measurable against experience...

I'm not saying you want :censored: players at Oldham, but you probably went into Shrewsbury - like several of us did - thinking he would be.

He definitely wasn't anywhere near as bad as you've portrayed him to be. Nor was he some kind of simple lump.

The fact you've said a run in which he brilliantly held off three players yet continued to go forwards was 'luck' says it all for me. How can you know it's luck if you've never seen him play before? Surely luck has to be measurable against experience...

Yes,that is how I saw him play at Shrewsbury..I always give players time and several games before I see if they have potential or not.I have not seen enough to form an opinion apart from I thought he injected pace ball control and put himself about and feel he could add muscle to our up to now pathetically weak attack force.

Like I said, I hope I'm wrong.

Only seen a couple of substitute appearances by Ngoo at BP and he barely looks as though he can control his legs never mind the ball.

His size and strength will cause problems in certain situations, and he will possibly be one that will get better with coaching and confidence - but I have seen better starts from players.

I've only seen his cameo last week. Does anyone know how he actually plays? Like, back to goal, runs on to through balls, drifts wide, attacks crosses? Not criticising the lad at all as we were losing our shape all over by then but what is his game?

What exactly is a cameo? Is it when the substitute is :censored:?

My impression at Shrewsbury was a willing gangly runner. The left wing run was as described more by luck than good judgement. My biggest disappointment was another 6' 6" player who is taller when he stands up than when he jumps for a ball-a la Ian Ormenroyd.

Echo Scapegoat and SKJ2008 thoughts really.