Swindon (a)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like we're cut adrift of Chesterfield now and vitally we haven't given valueable ground away to Swindon in a game they ought to have won.

Onwards we go.

Would have preferred Chesterfield to win or at least draw as it would have kept some space between us and Bury.

However, good away point and now gives the players a full week to recover until the next game especially those who haven't played much this season.

Swindon dominated but their shooting was pretty woeful. Once again Ripley did well. We were set up 4-5-1 with Holloway constantly isolated. Sheridan came for a point and got it - on another day we could have easily lost by two or three. Not the best away performance on a very good playing surface. But another point towards survival.

Bit of a reality check for me. There's going to be no easy route out of this relegation battle and while I'm disappointed that we didn't score or win, I'll definitely look back at that as a point gained.

Swindon were much better than us in the first half whilst the 2nd half was fairly even, but there were a few frightening moments towards the end and on the balance of play we were lucky to hold on.

Probably the most worrying thing was how easily they repeatedly passed directly through our 3 man midfield. It was a similar game to Swindon away last year except that our deepest player was a swap of Liam Kelly for Ollie Banks. Which says a lot.

Ripley - Reason we have a chance of staying up No.1. "Lucky" 13th clean sheet for him!

Law - solid performance.

Wilson - ditto.

Clarke - Reason we have a chance of staying up No.2. Heroic block on Ajose at the end!

Hunt - OK defensively, certainly restricted being on the wrong flank from an attacking point of view.

Fane - I like the way he pressed them, especially in the 2nd half. Questionable whether he'll develop into a competent player on the ball but he used his athleticism very well today and his attitude is spot on.

O'Neill - disappointing but it wasn't really a game that he could take control of. He's clearly a decent player though.

Banks - excuse me...ARRRRRRRRRRGGH!! The polar opposite of Fane! He clearly possesses ability with the ball at his feet and played a few good passes, but he's an absolute wimp who plays at such a low intensity and barely put in a tackle all day. When he does it's such a token effort that makes no impact. The question...is the moment of magic he produced on Tuesday enough to make him worth his place? I'd say probably not but the rest of the team is carrying him enough at the moment that it isn't a massive negative. I can't stand his demeanour though!

McLaughlin - probably our biggest threat going forward. A desperately needed injection of pace.

Taylor - a steady performance...which is a bit of a disappointment compared to what he used to offer. He'll be useful for our run in though.

Holloway - The only thing he sadly lacks is a goalscoring instinct. He's such a powerful and agile player who is surprisingly good on the ball. I'm a huge fan and if we get him the right strike partner next season we'll be laughing!

Subs

Croft - not really a smart sub by Shez as he mostly had to be an extra right back which isn't a role he can do well.

Ngoo - didn't do much but I'm fascinated to see how he'll develop. A man-mountain.

Not the most memorable match that we'll play under Shez, but I'm so glad he's back.

Hoping to get to Northampton and I'll happily take the same performance but with a 1-0 win.

Bit of a reality check for me. There's going to be no easy route out of this relegation battle and while I'm disappointed that we didn't score or win, I'll definitely look back at that as a point gained.

Swindon were much better than us in the first half whilst the 2nd half was fairly even, but there were a few frightening moments towards the end and on the balance of play we were lucky to hold on.

Probably the most worrying thing was how easily they repeatedly passed directly through our 3 man midfield. It was a similar game to Swindon away last year except that our deepest player was a swap of Liam Kelly for Ollie Banks. Which says a lot.

Ripley - Reason we have a chance of staying up No.1. "Lucky" 13th clean sheet for him!

Law - solid performance.

Wilson - ditto.

Clarke - Reason we have a chance of staying up No.2. Heroic block on Ajose at the end!

Hunt - OK defensively, certainly restricted being on the wrong flank from an attacking point of view.

Fane - I like the way he pressed them, especially in the 2nd half. Questionable whether he'll develop into a competent player on the ball but he used his athleticism very well today and his attitude is spot on.

O'Neill - disappointing but it wasn't really a game that he could take control of. He's clearly a decent player though.

Banks - excuse me...ARRRRRRRRRRGGH!! The polar opposite of Fane! He clearly possesses ability with the ball at his feet and played a few good passes, but he's an absolute wimp who plays at such a low intensity and barely put in a tackle all day. When he does it's such a token effort that makes no impact. The question...is the moment of magic he produced on Tuesday enough to make him worth his place? I'd say probably not but the rest of the team is carrying him enough at the moment that it isn't a massive negative. I can't stand his demeanour though!

McLaughlin - probably our biggest threat going forward. A desperately needed injection of pace.

Taylor - a steady performance...which is a bit of a disappointment compared to what he used to offer. He'll be useful for our run in though.

Holloway - The only thing he sadly lacks is a goalscoring instinct. He's such a powerful and agile player who is surprisingly good on the ball. I'm a huge fan and if we get him the right strike partner next season we'll be laughing!

Subs

Croft - not really a smart sub by Shez as he mostly had to be an extra right back which isn't a role he can do well.

Ngoo - didn't do much but I'm fascinated to see how he'll develop. A man-mountain.

Not the most memorable match that we'll play under Shez, but I'm so glad he's back.

Hoping to get to Northampton and I'll happily take the same performance but with a 1-0 win.

nice summary mr bosh ?

Law - solid performance.

Wilson - ditto.

Subs

Still concerned we have no goal poachers.

Overall a poor game but a point could prove vital at the end of the season.Motm was Holloway for me.He won loads of high balls and took a couple of knocks in the process.Ngoo came on to replace him late on and did well to take over.

Swindon had chances but fluffed them with high shots over the bar

We took about 400 there and got behind them .Not bad for a long trip.

Some of our crosses were poor and we allowed too many gaps for them to exploit but I will settle for a draw.

Dragged a couple of my neighbours along, I think they're still speaking to me. To be fair second half wasn't bad, but I don't remember us working their keeper once!

The referee was a joke, why we got the early booking was a complete mystery.

The pitch was magnificent, puts ours to shame. Pity the football didn't match it!

Holloway MOTM for me, great effort yesterday and his attitude is spot on.

Very worrying the way Swindon seemed at times to walk through our midfield, they had far too much space. Near the end one of their players even had time to turn in the box and get a shot away. Luckily for us their shooting was very poor all match.

Superb block at the death by Clarke, was it? Heroic stuff.

I'd like to think we'll climb away from trouble gradually like last season, but the lack of a reasonably decent striker in this team is the Achilles heel, I can see it going to the last match this time.