League One Predictor

I think if we finish below gillingham then we are down. They've dropped like a stone and probably in the worst form in the league (maybe barring Coventry) and at this stage of the season too.

Between us, Shrewsbury, gills and port vale IMO.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if we finish below gillingham then we are down. They've dropped like a stone and probably in the worst form in the league (maybe barring Coventry) and at this stage of the season too.

Between us, Shrewsbury, gills and port vale IMO.

If you check the last 10 games on the BBC Sport website, Gillingham are 15th in the form table W3 D3 L4. The bottom 5 over the last 10 are Coventry (5 pts), Scunthorpe (6 pts), Charlton (6 pts), Chesterfield (7 pts) Swindon (7 pts).

As of this morning, the teams realistically in the relegation fight start with Charlton in 15th place. Based on remaining fixtures, I see it ending up as follows:

15th Franchise 59pts

16th Charlton 55

17th Gillingham 52

18th Shrewsbury 52

19th Bury 51

20th Oldham 51

21st Port Vale 47

22nd Swindon 40

23rd Chesterfield 37

24th Coventry 36

I have our remaining matches as Sheffield Utd (L), Southend (L), Fleetwood (D), Bolton (D), Bristol R (D), Rochdale (W), Wimbledon (D)

It will be scarily close but barring a complete collapse in form (or administration!!) I think we'll just survive.

Vale have 10 games to play including Coventry away next who are down already, Chesterfield A on 8th April who will also probably be relegated by then and Franchise & Proper Dons at home.

I hope Bolton & or Fleetwood are still contesting automatic promotion because if not they won't want to be risking injuries against them with play off fixtures coming up.

I reckon we will need every one of the 51points you predict for us to survive because I can definitely see Vale breaking 50!

For what it's worth:

At this stage last season: Played 39, points 44, goal difference - 11.

This season: Played 39, points 44, goal difference - 12.

This website is always useful on a wet Sunday afternoon! http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/league-one/2015-2016/custom-table

But, we did not have the tough run in last season.

Vale have 10 games to play including Coventry away next who are down already, Chesterfield A on 8th April who will also probably be relegated by then and Franchise & Proper Dons at home.

I hope Bolton & or Fleetwood are still contesting automatic promotion because if not they won't want to be risking injuries against them with play off fixtures coming up.

I reckon we will need every one of the 51points you predict for us to survive because I can definitely see Vale breaking 50!

Yep, you could be right. I'm far from confident! Would prefer us with at least 52 which rarely if ever sees a team go down. Just hoping we can get more than 2 points against the top 3.

Seem to remember Torquay going down with 51 points that season we stayed up on the last day by beating Bradford. Had Wrexham not had a 10-point deduction for entering administration, MK Dons would also have gone down with 51 that season, so it can happen...! Been a while since 52 hasn't been enough though...

On 16/03/2017 at 3:53 PM, frizzell54 said:
Revised Predictions: Just ridiculous, I know!

Boundary Blue Mine

Posh - L L

Sheff U -L L

Southend - D L

Fleetwood - W D

Bolton - L L

Bristol R - L L

Rochdale - D D

Wimbledon - D D

Final points 47

You're good at this aren't you... first prediction wrong immediately. New prediction wrong immediately.  How about some optimism for a change? 

We are now 7th favourites for the drop after yesterdays games, Gillingham the big movers in from 8/1 to a very short 3/1 in places for the drop.

Coventry 1/1000

Chesterfield 1/1000

Swindon 2/9

Port Vale 5/6

Shrewsbury 7/2

Gillingham 9/2

Oldham 11/2

Bury 14/1

Charlton 100/1

23 hours ago, kowenicki said:

You're good at this aren't you... first prediction wrong immediately. New prediction wrong immediately.  How about some optimism for a change? 

9 hours ago, frizzell54 said:

I'm loving it.

Second thoughts.  I now see the last two games a 4 points lost.  :huh:

Had today down as a defeat. 

There's two wins left in us, which should just about be enough given I can't see Gillingham or Shrewsbury, in their form, picking up many points. Aside from Chesterfield, Port Vale's fixtures from now are brutal, whereas I see our fixtures from now as a respite from the past 4 or 5.

33 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I think we will win agains Dale and draw at home to Fleetwood, Bolton and Bristol Rovers are real toughies so it could go right down to the wire at Wimbledon.

Bristol won't be easy, but today was a comparable fixture in terms of home record and opposition and we seem to have been more than competitive before stupidly disintegrating - I can't see us making the same mistake again. They won't have anything to play for when we face them too.

Again, Bolton will be a real test but we've just arguably edged Sheffield United at home with quite a few regulars missing. We don't lose many so I fancy us in every fixture.

Suddenly our last 6 match record is 1 3 2 and just 6 points and I feel that colleagues on this thread are a little over confident in saying we will this game or that game. I suspect and hope we will one but I don't see us as favourites in any of the 5 individual fixtures left

On Sunday, March 26, 2017 at 3:03 PM, yarddog73 said:

We are now 7th favourites for the drop after yesterdays games, Gillingham the big movers in from 8/1 to a very short 3/1 in places for the drop.

Coventry 1/1000

Chesterfield 1/1000

Swindon 2/9

Port Vale 5/6

Shrewsbury 7/2

Gillingham 9/2

Oldham 11/2

Bury 14/1

Charlton 100/1

Latest odds

Chesterfield 1/5000

Coventry 1/2500

Swindon 4/7

Gillingham 6/4

Shrewsbury 7/4

Port Vale 5/2

Oldham 5/2

Bury 6/1

Charlton 50/1

Gillingham fans must be most worried and hopefully they will totally cave in.

If Port Vale don't win today and results remain the same you can nail them down for relegation

As well, if anybody had Rochdale as favourites to beat us, today gives us a pretty clear example that they're shite away from home, and we're pretty good at BP. Fancy us to have them on our own patch.

Edited by NewBlue

My predictions went as follows...

Northampton - D - WON   (up 2pts)

Walsall - D - LOST  (up 1pt)

Bury - D - DREW  (up 1pt)

Oxford - W - WON  (up 1pt)

Posh - L - DREW  (up 2pts)

Sheff U -L - DREW  (up 3pts)

Southend - D - LOST  (up 2pts)

Fleetwood - W - WON  (up 2pts)

Bolton - L

Bristol R - L

Rochdale - D

Wimbledon - D

12pts - final tally 48pts   (up 2pts - final tally heading for 50pts)

It would be very harsh to go down on 50 and much better GD. Heart says we will do it with that final tally. Head says it's too close to call at the moment.

20 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

My predictions went as follows...

Northampton - D - WON   (up 2pts)

Walsall - D - LOST  (up 1pt)

Bury - D - DREW  (up 1pt)

Oxford - W - WON  (up 1pt)

Posh - L - DREW  (up 2pts)

Sheff U -L - DREW  (up 3pts)

Southend - D - LOST  (up 2pts)

Fleetwood - W - WON  (up 2pts)

Bolton - L

Bristol R - L

Rochdale - D

Wimbledon - D

12pts - final tally 48pts   (up 2pts - final tally heading for 50pts)

It would be very harsh to go down on 50 and much better GD. Heart says we will do it with that final tally. Head says it's too close to call at the moment.

There's no way we won't win one of the final four fixtures 

Cumulatively over his two stints Shez has managed us in 40 league games, and we've not yet gone four without a win...

Just now, NewBlue said:

There's no way we won't win one of the final four fixtures 

Cumulatively over his two stints Shez has managed us in 40 league games, and we've not yet gone four without a win...

If I did the prediction thing again now, I'd be tempted to put Rochdale down for a win. But head over ruling heart says a draw is more likely. I hope I'm wrong and we do get that 1 win which should do it.

18 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

If I did the prediction thing again now, I'd be tempted to put Rochdale down for a win. But head over ruling heart says a draw is more likely. I hope I'm wrong and we do get that 1 win which should do it.

Head says victory as well, to me.

They've lost 5 of their last 8 away matches and the disparity between their home record and away record is massive - 69% of points coming at home. 

We've won 6/10 home games since Shez has been here.