EFL Trophy Final

Looking at the arguments that Oxford fans seem to be having with each other today after making the final of the EFL Trophy was something that I think we are lucky to have missed out on. I genuinely believe that if we had made the final it would have divided our fan base massively.

Here's my views outlining how difficult a decision it would have been for me.

http://www.ernieflag.co.uk/site/index.php/bloggs/17-football-issues/194-a-dreadful-conflict-of-emotions

I think as a fan, it's a personal decision IF it were to ever happen for us!

Yeah the group stages were awful in the sense that they were littered with academy teams that mostly looked like they weren't interested, but I'm of the thinking that they're our players, they don't get a choice in whether to play or not, and they deserve our support! The last several years has shown us that a playoff campaign is a pipe dream of the highest order, and I want to see my team play at Wembley.. let's face it, the old place had no luck for us and it would be so good to see a Latics captain lift a trophy!

but alas, it's a personal choice .. each to their own! but it's a nice problem to have, to be arguing about whether to go to Wembley or not!

Edited by thetramfixer

I'd pity those who missed out seeing their team walk out on the hallowed turf, If your a fan your a fan of the club not the ideology of a competition we compete in, what next boycott the FA Cup because Premier League and Championship clubs in the main play watered down teams which devalues that competition, some fans are pretty consistent and you'd struggle to get them to attend any game whether it was the Paint pot or the Checkertrade and I get that but there's absolutely no way I could not be there for what would be one of the only chances I'd get to see my team walk out at Wembley again, especially if I had to watch it on Sky Sports.

In my view the point has been proved somewhat already and given that the B Teams failed and didn't get near the final, I'd have my cake and eat it.

I'd argue that not going does more damage to your own club in terms of gate receipts anyway.... easy decision.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

I'd pity those who missed out seeing their team walk out on the hallowed turf, If your a fan your a fan of the club not the ideology of a competition we compete in, what next boycott the FA Cup because Premier League and Championship clubs in the main play watered down teams which devalues that competition, some fans are pretty consistent and you'd struggle to get them to attend any game whether it was the Paint pot or the Checkertrade and I get that but there's absolutely no way I could not be there for what would be one of the only chances I'd get to see my team walk out at Wembley again, especially if I had to watch it on Sky Sports.

100%

Looking at the arguments that Oxford fans seem to be having with each other today after making the final of the EFL Trophy was something that I think we are lucky to have missed out on. I genuinely believe that if we had made the final it would have divided our fan base massively.

Here's my views outlining how difficult a decision it would have been for me.

http://www.ernieflag.co.uk/site/index.php/bloggs/17-football-issues/194-a-dreadful-conflict-of-emotions

100% agree with every word in your blog. Sadly, the noises seem to be that Shaun Harvey wants to continue this abomination. The old tactic of persist and they will slowly give in. And I fear it will work.

People talking about doing the club harm by reducing the monies received from a Wembley visit really cannot see the wood for the trees. For those romanticising about the trick of a Wembley trip, the reasons to be so against this experiment are not important today. This breeds a "will worry about it tomorrow" attitude which is exactly what the powers that be want. That would be too late. Killing this competition at source is a necessity for every single fan of clubs like ours. I wouldn't have gone to the final and I truly wish that Wembley would be empty for it. Then Shaun Harvey, who is hell-bent on ruining the lower leagues to cosy up to the Premiership would have to fall on his sword.

Edited by boundaryblue80

How is the competition ruining the lower leagues in its new format? I'd suggest some teams have found the increased revenue from the competition as a bit of a god send ourselves included, it's a myth to suggest that PL teams are pushing B teams on us because most PL teams who were offered an opportunity to compete turned it down, it was a :censored: competition in its old format and is no better now but I'd still be down at Wembley like a shot if be got into a final.

How is the competition ruining the lower leagues in its new format? I'd suggest some teams have found the increased revenue from the competition as a bit of a god send ourselves included, it's a myth to suggest that PL teams are pushing B teams on us because most PL teams who were offered an opportunity to compete turned it down, it was a :censored: competition in its old format and is no better now but I'd still be down at Wembley like a shot if be got into a final.

There's a huge problem with premier league teams hoovering up all the young talent and sticking them in their academies for years on end just so rivals don't get them. Instead of facilitating this by offering them competitive games in a football league competition they should be looking to stop the practice at the source.

Maybe then those players will stay at league clubs and gain actual match experience in the football league and can progress to the top by having to prove themselves on the pitch.

Edit - to add, looking at it as short term cash increase is wrong. It's a way of introducing then increasing the involvement of premier league B teams. Will only ruin league football further down the line.

Edited by nzlatic

Most teams turned it down? There was 10 out of 20 Premiership clubs in it. That's 50% of the Premiership. Others expressed an interest but indicated they wanted to see how it ran this season. So that blows your logic out of the water.

Only the teams in the Champions League and Europa League had no interest as they use the League Cup as their way of giving younger kids competitive games. The rest are most certainly interested. Listen to the comments their U23 managers have been coming out with after every game.

It's a clear and present danger. The only myth is that the danger doesn't exist.

Edited by boundaryblue80

I've real mixed feelings, and the blog sums it up.

I follow @AgainstLEague3 on Twitter an RT a lot, so am in principle totally aopposed to B Teams in the trophy

I am not bothered by the tournament, but I don't get to many games so my boycott only refers to the Final.

As was said, I wouldn't wish the choice on anyone, and we should not be put in the position.

Personally, getting there in this tournament would not feel the same as it did all those years ago. It would not even come close to when I went to watch Tunbridge Wells in the FA vase final and I have not real affinity to them other than that is where I live.

But, my 10 yo son would be excited, and for him I'd go, it might be the nly chance he'd get and like many of us our first trip toWEmbley being with Oldham is something to feel good about.

The real issue is the fact we've been bought for about £1.5m, and the PL have got the FL by the short and curlies and threatening to withdraw or reduce the prize money is an atrocious but easily forseen negotiating position to be been cornered into

The bottom line is I think it better the competiton end, despite the loss of Wembley, than be so shafted and reliant on goodwill.

EDIT, just seen your post Jim, which was posted as I wrote tmy post whilst doing other things.

Edited by singe

Most teams turned it down? There was 10 out of 20 Premiership clubs in it. That's 50% of the Premiership. Others expressed an interest but indicated they wanted to see how it ran this season. So that blows your logic out of the water.

Only the teams in the Champions League and Europa League had no interest as they use the League Cup as their way of giving younger kids competitive games. The rest are most certainly interested. Listen to the comments their U23 managers have been coming out with after every game.

It's a clear and present danger. The only myth is that the danger doesn't exist.

Completely agree. It would be very short sighted to assume there was no danger.

Why else would £2m be offered up in prize money.

Guardiola has since gone on reocrd sayng we shoudl have B teams liek they so, so City would be one that would jump at the B team cahnce and where would that leave us.

That would be my preferred format.

They have tried it in the distant past and I think it created fixture congestion for the non-league guys.

But this time it could be a knock out competition like the FA and league cups. Do away with the groups.

Edited by BP1960

Lot of clubs want guaranteed games, non starter.

Not 100% sure, as many teams want to use squad players.

I think the league format was to try and generate interest, but that hasn't happened.

The only round making money is Wembley, so it is a loss maker all the rest fot he games.

Word on the street is that Shaun Harvey is digging his heels in and wants opposition to ebb away, and people drift back.

Absolute abomination of a competition whether in this format or the old one.

You can only enter if you're :censored:.

Football League clubs & fans should be pushing to disband it altogether, never mind anything else.

I jumped on the bandwagon though for that Northern final against Chesterfield (my only ever game in the competition) and I'd be at Wembley too if we ever got there.

Life's too short...

My opinion would have been different before I realised this.