Holloway scored 2 goals for us last season. Both against Rochdale at BP. (He had another ruled out for offside).

If he is fit for Saturday, then it would be a good time to break his scoring duck... mind you the game last season ended up 2-3 despite Rochdale having a man sent off. I also seem to recall a last minute Gerrard shot just grazing the crossbar.

Aaron - it's your time...

What does worry me is that he never gains momentum as he never plays more than 3 or 4 games before picking up yet another knock. He's another Beckford or KIllen, won't play unless he's 100%. How often in a season are you going to be 100%? 

The lad's made of poppadums. Unplayable on his day but his lack of momentum and goals worries me over a 2 1/2 year deal.

Given he's been 90% for a fortnight it concerns me. Hope proves me wrong next season, Erwin has this...

Edited by oafcprozac

3 minutes ago, jsslatic said:

I just can't wait for Clarke to 'welcome' Calvin Andrew.

Clarke is too professional for that. Sadly.

Edit: Although some chant about Andrew being a coward could be in order.

Incidentally, he played left back for Dale a few weeks ago.

Edited by blueatheart

At the moment attack wise Holloway is the focal point and in turn takes a battering every game. Little knocks become bigger and he has to miss a couple of weeks.

Next season hopefully we can have a few different threats and take the target off his back

Guest davidshaw

I`ve no problem with Holloway - seems a decent player. That said I don't get this idolisation of him by some. In view of the fact he is yet another "striker" that doesn't score goals, he is only a really valuable asset to the team when others are feeding off him and scoring themselves. If we don't have that/those other players then he's really just useful for holding up the ball and relieving the pressure a bit. That's not what we signed him for, hopefully.

Finding his perfect partner up front and him keeping fit will, in time, tell us how good or not an acquisition he was. It is interesting that Fleetwood (who I don't actually rate as a team despite their league position) did not see him as valuable.

26 minutes ago, rigsby said:

Holloway is a fabulous asset to the team, anyone suggesting otherwise is wrong, plain n simple.

The only question mark is his fitness..

Sorry rigsby....11 goals in 107 pro appearances (2 in 24 for us and both in a loss against Dale) is as woeful as it gets for a striker. Unfortunately he has not scored in any games we have got a point in!! Don't disagree he offers other things but without at least 8-10 goals a season I don't see how he can justify a regular starting spot as our focal striker. Agree with davidshaw 100%.

21 minutes ago, rigsby said:

Holloway is a fabulous asset to the team, anyone suggesting otherwise is wrong, plain n simple.

The only question mark is his fitness..

I don't think anyone doesn't believe that AAH is an asset to the team, he definitely provided an effective outlet for a while at the end of last season before he was injured - and has managed the same this season when fit.

However I think it is wrong to not question whether we can do better than AAH.

There will be other players that can hold the ball, battle, being players into the game and generally perform the "outlet" option, and perhaps don't suffer from one or both of the following AAH frailties:

(1) Ability to stay match fit for sustained periods

(2) Can contribute more directly to our goals scored column

Last season, following Holloways injury, Curtis Main stepped up admirably and was IMO just as effective in the "outlet" role, but managed to stay available until the end of the season AND score some important goals (1 in 5 ratio)

In the closed season I'd have been more happy to have signed CM than AAH - though based on stats of 2 in 12 this season, clearly CM hasn't impressed that much in a good team a league below.  So it's not an easy job picking players.

It may be that we cannot find a better option / or that the medical team feel that they can keep him fit with a good pre-season / or that like Erwin, if he gets one then thmore confidence might flow.

By no means disappointed if he stays, but reasonable to consider alternatives. 

3 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Sorry rigsby....11 goals in 107 pro appearances (2 in 24 for us and both in a loss against Dale) is as woeful as it gets for a striker. Unfortunately he has not scored in any games we have got a point in!! Don't disagree he offers other things but without at least 8-10 goals a season I don't see how he can justify a regular starting spot as our focal striker. Agree with davidshaw 100%.

Its all about how is played,with a goalscorer along side him we will fire..

Guest davidshaw
5 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I'd still like to see AAH and Main upfront for a run of games that had the look of a real handy front line at our level. As it stands AAH is our best striker and we are far worse off without him imo.

can't disagree with that. I`ve never thought Erwin will sign on for next season. So getting those 2 paired up again might not be a bad shout.

1 hour ago, Blue_Guru said:

We won't score...I am watching Saturday and have seen us draw 4 out of 4 blanks so far this season. 

I hope you're wrong, coming up from Worcester for this one!

Though come to think of it, my last 3 have been Port Vale home (0-0), Swindon away (0-0), Walsall away (0-2) !!! :unsure:

3 hours ago, View Of Golden Gate said:

Tope was excellent when up front on Saturday, him and Erwin for me.

I'm pretty sure if we were still playing 3 days on we wouldn't have scored with Tope and Erwin up front together (same at Southend) these 2 are not a partnership 

2 hours ago, opinions4u said:

It'll be interesting to see how many he scores once Shez has his own squad in place.

I'm not sure it'll be that many, to be honest. He's just not very good in front of goal. His two goals against Rochdale came from first time shots - give him any sort of thinking time and he struggles badly.

That said, I really do believe he's worthy of the starting place due to what he gives the team as a focal point and the chances he creates. If he could bag say 8 goals in addition to his already excellent general play I'd consider that an excellent season for him.