General Election - 8th June 2017

Matt

48 minutes ago, View Of Golden Gate said:

Why? It will be less then most of the other countries, and are you saying that businesses won't need the business of British people? Have businesses fled other countries when they have raised corporation tax? Even Trump led USA have a tax of 35%, so what evidence is there that people will move away?

By the way, the European average corp tax rate is 19.71% and the trend is downwards.  Don't believe everything you hear...

There is good reason for lowering corp tax... it is the private sector that drives wealth and innovation. 

Edited by kowenicki

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to have to drop out of this now I have meetings solidly between 1 and 8 tonight and I will be taking the day off tomorrow to leaflet drop etc.

i will leave you with my prediction although it is massively dependent on whether Corbyn's message has proven sufficiently inspirational to mobilise the 18-24 age group to get out and vote. 

I think the likely outcome is a Tory majority of 20-30 seats. If the 18-24 group turnout is 70% or more I think we may be in hung parliament territory. 

Whatever the the outcome I hope we are all in agreement that living in a society that allows us to debate our positions robustly is far far better than the alternative. 

Despite what the polls might say, I can only see an increased majority. I simply cannot see why someone who voted Tory last time would switch away this time. Whatever your views on the main issues, there is little change in circumstances since 2015.

The only people I can see moving away from the Tories would be those who voted remain but there is no credible alternative and I suspect that even most 'remainers' believe that May will obtain a better outcome from Brexit than Corbyn.

4 minutes ago, UsedtobeWozzer said:

I'm going to have to drop out of this now I have meetings solidly between 1 and 8 tonight and I will be taking the day off tomorrow to leaflet drop etc.

i will leave you with my prediction although it is massively dependent on whether Corbyn's message has proven sufficiently inspirational to mobilise the 18-24 age group to get out and vote. 

I think the likely outcome is a Tory majority of 20-30 seats. If the 18-24 group turnout is 70% or more I think we may be in hung parliament territory. 

Whatever the the outcome I hope we are all in agreement that living in a society that allows us to debate our positions robustly is far far better than the alternative. 

Agree 100%... and I'd share that prediction or slightly closer.  Hung isn't out of the question by any means.   Hope it doesn't rain too heavily tomorrow... he lied ;-)

3 hours ago, View Of Golden Gate said:

Then Westminster was attacked, no change, then Manchester, no change, now enough is enough. Is that what it takes Mrs May? 3 attacks, multiple deaths of innocent men, women and children before you actually seemingly do something. Say what you like about JC, many do, and to be fair I totally understand the difference of opinions on this. I lean towards his way of thinking, in many cases, I do find myself torn on this, but May was in charge. She has had seven years to do something, and it takes all this before she decides its time.

May's been talking big on extremism for ages, however in balance, after 7/7 Blair said that the rules of the game had changed and enough is enough.

'He promised a range of powers to deal not just with violence extremism, but those he said provided it with an ideological breeding ground.

His government ultimately found some of the measures legally too difficult to implement.'

52 minutes ago, UsedtobeWozzer said:

Threads like this do make you wonder though.....

28 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

For those of you wanting abit of light relief from this election (for those who haven't already seen this) see an actual campaign video for conservative MP Greg Knight. Fairly ordinary to begin with then on 34 seconds it goes abit Partridge

Vote for Greg Kniiiiiiiiggghhhttt

For those that don't know, Greg is the drummer for MP4, a band made up of MPs and former MPs that do charity gigs/singles etc.

They also do Unspun with Matt Forde on Dave (get the series on catch-up as it is nearly over).

Speaking of Matt Forde, he does a podcast called the political party, once a month, with prominent political figures from across the political spectrum.

If you are a bit of a politics geek or have an interest, both the TV show and podcast are worth following, although the TV show could be better.

33 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

For those of you wanting abit of light relief from this election (for those who haven't already seen this) see an actual campaign video for conservative MP Greg Knight. Fairly ordinary to begin with then on 34 seconds it goes abit Partridge

Vote for Greg Kniiiiiiiiggghhhttt

Holy crap.  ha ha haa.  I demand to know which 'musician' sold his soul to deliver that masterpiece. 

2 minutes ago, blueatheart said:

For those that don't know, Greg is the drummer for MP4, a band made up of MPs and former MPs that do charity gigs/singles etc.

They also do Unspun with Matt Forde on Dave (get the series on catch-up as it is nearly over).

Speaking of Matt Forde, he does a podcast called the political party, once a month, with prominent political figures from across the political spectrum.

If you are a bit of a politics geek or have an interest, both the TV show and podcast are worth following, although the TV show could be better.

in which case... this is brilliant!

the band is 2 Cons, 1 SNP, 1 Labour.  Apparently did the majority of the Jo Cox charity single too.  Fair play to them.

Edited by kowenicki

2 hours ago, rummytheowl said:

'He promised a range of powers to deal not just with violence extremism, but those he said provided it with an ideological breeding ground.

His government ultimately found some of the measures legally too difficult to implement.'

Would that be under European law?

5 minutes ago, opinions4u said:

Probably good old British laws of innocent until proven guilty.

Its a tough one whatever the colours of the party in charge.

Habeas Corpos created some difficulties with the Determination People Forever proposal 

Sorry for not following this thread today. I had an argument with Mrs 24 last night, which will cost me. 

Basically I'm in favour of some sort of round-up-and-shakedown of the watchlist people. She's against and says the police and security service are understaffed anyway.

I just reckon the strategy of watching and waiting for he chain to appear hasn't worked or isn't working. 

23 minutes ago, 24hoursfromtulsehill said:

Sorry for not following this thread today. I had an argument with Mrs 24 last night, which will cost me. 

Basically I'm in favour of some sort of round-up-and-shakedown of the watchlist people. She's against and says the police and security service are understaffed anyway.

I just reckon the strategy of watching and waiting for he chain to appear hasn't worked or isn't working. 

We need to try something different. In fact, we need to try quite a few different things. There's no one quick fix or solution to this....

They've already died in vain but let's hope whoever gets in on Thursday takes the chance to not let the victims down (further)....

45 minutes ago, 24hoursfromtulsehill said:

Whatever the 'round-up' entails, we need to be certain that we don't take steps that could well have the effect of hardening their attitudes and the possibility of giving them a persecution complex on top of their other shitballs ideas.

11 minutes ago, rummytheowl said:

Whatever the 'round-up' entails, we need to be certain that we don't take steps that could well have the effect of hardening their attitudes and the possibility of giving them a persecution complex on top of their other shitballs ideas.

I for one couldn't give a fuck - innocent human lives are the priority.....

Console yourself with the fact that anyone wrongly rounded up will, at best, still be a misogynist, homophobic bigot anyway if it helps....

Then again, you lot still seem to be continuing to give them a free pass on all that.....

Edited by HarryBosch

Pretty clear manpower is not the issue with the London Bridge attack. The more we learn the more it is clear that this is an almighty cock up. 

Interestingly, figures revealed today show current met officer numbers of police are at least as high as all but just one year under the last labour government. Spending on anti terror is currently at a record all time high.  Methinks some very senior police are deflecting.  Labour are just lying and being opportunist. 

Just now, HarryBosch said:

I for one couldn't give a fuck about that - innocent human lives are the priority.....

Yeah, you're right - all those released from Gitmo wrote a postcard home then skipped to the airport.

Man power won't fix this... You can have 20k more police and we'd still be attackeed. You simply cannot watch 20 odd thousand potential terrorists. 

May is right in that internet companies have a lot to answer for. They need to do a hell of a lot more but her views on encryption are terrible. The idea that you can have a government back door into encrypyted comms is both ludicrous and dangerous. 

Immediately after atacks i think round up all of them and put them in a center or two before they have chance to do anything. Soon after you realise you can't just do this to people without just cause... 

We need to increase sentencing for any terror / hate related offences. We need to remove passports and / or block the return of anyone whose been to Syria. We need to deport people if they're not british citizens who are charged with any terror offences. 

Ive recently become a father and this, unfortunately, feels like something that will be around for many years of my little ones life. Its got to be one of the hardest problems to resolve of modern times. 

The best thing we could do in my opinion is some form of cross party review and department to put party politics aside and public safety first.