General Election - 8th June 2017

Matt

3 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

One of the top accountancy practices last summer who correctly predicted that their woukd be a cut in corporation tax and cuts in spending post Brexit anticipate that many firms directly dealing with customers in the EU will leave Britain and relocate many of their operations on the continent to be part of the single market. In fact they were advising companies to leave and set up abroad and I imagine the other major practices will be doing the same. 

The pound has already plummeted and growth forecasts have been downgraded once the real fun games start after the German elections it won't get any easier. We will survive it won't be a catastrophy the world won't end and we won't become some kind of neo Facist state but it will prove to be alot more hassle than its worth. 

Can you link me to that please?  My gran could have predicted a cut in corporation tax given that it was promised to happen by the government regardless of the brexit vote.

Edited by kowenicki

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Well George Soros is probably licking his lips but higher interest rates would probably put a fair few into difficulty.

I don't necessarily see that.  The big factors are cheaper exports, but potentially less inward investment from overseas....  Its all an unknown.  But we shall see.

20 minutes ago, OldHallam said:

Agree with that hes a bit of a twat, wins either way interest rates will soar should JC get lucky today though. The top 1% wont be paying any more than they do as have the people to ensure they dont. ie Duke of Westminster 

Tax rises unavoidable I think once the size of the Brexit bill becomes clear, VAT the obvious starting point.

Brexit is done to death and we all agree we are leaving, I don't like it, I don't agree with it, I think the referendum was flawed and set up poor parameters for such a big change. The thing that worries me the most about how the Tories are dealing with it, is there does not seem to be an obvious plan. They have not said how they expect to grow after it, other than buzzwords and phrases. They say have nine main aims, but if they have publicised them they have not made a big deal of them.

They just seem to want to fight on everything and not concede a single thing, in case they come across as weak. I think Britain can be ok, eventually, I worry my generation who are yet to make the money for serious savings and purchase their own house, in the most part will suffer most. I think my children and their children will have a better time, but can anyone seriously say they find May and her team to be handling it correctly so far?

4 minutes ago, View Of Golden Gate said:

I worry my generation who are yet to make the money for serious savings and purchase their own house, in the most part will suffer most.

Property is theft, no?

3 hours ago, OldHallam said:

Agree with that hes a bit of a twat, wins either way interest rates will soar should JC get lucky today though. The top 1% wont be paying any more than they do as have the people to ensure they dont. ie Duke of Westminster 

Why do people think the top 1% is the super mega rich.  Its people on 160k or more. 

The mega super rich are the top 0.1%. Taxing them raises bugger all.

28 minutes ago, View Of Golden Gate said:

Brexit is done to death and we all agree we are leaving, I don't like it, I don't agree with it, I think the referendum was flawed and set up poor parameters for such a big change. The thing that worries me the most about how the Tories are dealing with it, is there does not seem to be an obvious plan. They have not said how they expect to grow after it, other than buzzwords and phrases. They say have nine main aims, but if they have publicised them they have not made a big deal of them.

They just seem to want to fight on everything and not concede a single thing, in case they come across as weak. I think Britain can be ok, eventually, I worry my generation who are yet to make the money for serious savings and purchase their own house, in the most part will suffer most. I think my children and their children will have a better time, but can anyone seriously say they find May and her team to be handling it correctly so far?

Yes

You should say nothing about what you will accept before negotiation starts, demand everything and negotiate down from there to reach a compromise.  

You certainly don't admit that you have to have a deal of any kind, that's starting with you weakest position already out there... stupid beyond belief.

23 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Why do people think the top 1% is the super mega rich.  Its people on 160k or more. 

The mega super rich are the top 0.1%. Taxing them raises bugger all.

I spoke to numerous people about similar points Labour make out the rich who are paying for everthing are 'super rich'. Me and the mrs have a household income of 90k...decent i know but it puts us in the top 5% in terms of household income.

Edited by Fruitygoo

Just now, Fruitygoo said:

I spoke to numerous people about similar points.abour make out the rich who are paying for everthing are 'super rich'. Me and the mrs have a household income of 90k...decent i know but it puts us in the top 5% in terms of household income.

Exactly. There are plenty of ordinary people that have to work who Labour say are rich.   Rich to me, is not needing to work.  I am also well into the top 5% but I still have to work.

44 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Yes

You should say nothing about what you will accept before negotiation starts, demand everything and negotiate down from there to reach a compromise.  

You certainly don't admit that you have to have a deal of any kind, that's starting with you weakest position already out there... stupid beyond belief.

I agree if this was a company/company trade deal, hell even a usual country trade agreement. The uncertainty of this is affecting future business plans, the worth of the pound, and general worries for the future. This cannot and should not be treated like a normal trade agreement, it is bigger than that. The current EU Nationals living here, the Brits living abroad deserve the guarantee they can stay where they are. Or they deserve the right to know they have to leave, to drag it out, causes unfair stress.

I accept that it is not all down to May, the EU have let down their people too. The problem is no-one has been in the situation before, and no-one truly knows for sure how to handle it. The same can be said for the 'no deal is better than a bad deal,' if this was a business transaction I'd agree. If it was a normal trade agreement I'd agree, and in some circumstances and potential deals I'd agree here too. It is a buzz phrase though, it doesn't give us any indication what she considers a bad deal. 

This is one of the biggest issue this country will face in my lifetime, it is of huge national interest and importance. I just don't like how it is being treated like a business transactions, EU nationals and ex-pats are being treated as a commodity or as pawns as part of a larger game. May is going in 'Billy Big Bollocks' because she wants to appear strong to an electorate she did not need to win over for another three years, she could have been way more diplomatic. The EU did not come at us, we voted to leave, they did not renege on their agreement or break contracts. We decided to end the partnership, we are now acting like the jilted one.