Latics Legend Gordon Lawton Has Died

Just now, Bristolatic said:

I think the point he was making was that those in the firing line, and not just him, get some stick and that's part and parcel of being at the club in certain circumstances, but he never heard anyone have a bad word to say about Gordon.

He was illustrating the difference between Gordon's standing at the club compared to others. I don't think it was meant as anything other than that.

One thing is for sure; Gordon is irreplaceable. They'll find someone else to do the job, but no one will ever be able to do what he had done over the last 31 years.

I'm sure you're right, but I think it was an error and the edited version comes across far better.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Legend brick would probably not repay the debt the club owes the big man properly. Legend is to easily used to describe people but in Gordon's case, we can't under estimate the service he has provided for so long. You could easily argue that a bigger tribute should be paid, could anyone argue against the naming of a stand. Probably not.

RIP Latics legend.

50 minutes ago, aliofashy said:

Legend brick would probably not repay the debt the club owes the big man properly. Legend is to easily used to describe people but in Gordon's case, we can't under estimate the service he has provided for so long. You could easily argue that a bigger tribute should be paid, could anyone argue against the naming of a stand. Probably not.

RIP Latics legend.

When the want a street name for more housing development near the ground  perhaps Gordon Lawton Close.

On 19/06/2017 at 7:28 AM, jorvik_latic said:

I liked the idea someone (possibly an Oz based fan) said about a walk of legends with banners on poles. Have it between Hilbre Avenue and the North Stand and call it Gordon Lawton Way or something. 

Yep that was me.....

9fe87049c152e4a319312e65d305a04e.jpg

A little story about Gordon. I started following Latics from New Zealand back in 1990 due to a program on TV there called The Road to Wembley... what caught my eye was the 5th round matchup, on this strange plastic pitch, and the replay and the 2nd replay....I kept on following Oldham's progress until in become a terrible full on passion. Anyway, I first came to the UK in 1993 on a gap year and was working at a school in London, and thought I needed to pay a visit, so I jumped on the train to Manchester and eventually got off a train at Werneth, made my way up Featherstall Rd to Boundary Park. After buying a lot of stuff at the Club Shop, I asked if I could see inside the ground, and that is when Gordon appeared.....he took me on a mini tour of the ground, and talked and talked to me....I think he was as interested as how a Kiwi was supporting Latics as anything else.....he had all the time in the world for me, he was absolutely amazing.

8 Years later he did exactly the same thing for me......he remembered me from 1993....and had been back to NZ and back to the UK, and this time he took me up to the changing room and a more thorough tour....introduced me to Andy Ritchie, and J Shez ........and a couple of other players who were there..........What a man he was......had all the time in the world for me........ I have shed a tear or two.....the world needs more Gordon Lawton's, more so now than ever before...and I would love to listen to the tributes at his funeral if they are recorded......

Sorry if thats a bit long......but great memories for me. 

Edited by marcuswill

3 hours ago, marcuswill said:

A little story about Gordon. I started following Latics from New Zealand back in 1990 due to a program on TV there called The Road to Wembley... what caught my eye was the 5th round matchup, on this strange plastic pitch, and the replay and the 2nd replay....I kept on following Oldham's progress until in become a terrible full on passion. Anyway, I first came to the UK in 1993 on a gap year and was working at a school in London, and thought I needed to pay a visit, so I jumped on the train to Manchester and eventually got off a train at Werneth, made my way up Featherstall Rd to Boundary Park. After buying a lot of stuff at the Club Shop, I asked if I could see inside the ground, and that is when Gordon appeared.....he took me on a mini tour of the ground, and talked and talked to me....I think he was as interested as how a Kiwi was supporting Latics as anything else.....he had all the time in the world for me, he was absolutely amazing.

8 Years later he did exactly the same thing for me......he remembered me from 1993....and had been back to NZ and back to the UK, and this time he took me up to the changing room and a more thorough tour....introduced me to Andy Ritchie, and J Shez ........and a couple of other players who were there..........What a man he was......had all the time in the world for me........ I have shed a tear or two.....the world needs more Gordon Lawton's, more so now than ever before...and I would love to listen to the tributes at his funeral if they are recorded......

Just brilliant and it shows what a lovely man Gordon was. Irreplaceable.

23 hours ago, aliofashy said:

Could anyone argue against the naming of a stand. Probably not.

You see its very sad that Gordan has passed away he was a great servent for the club and a good man but I think its abit much to name a stand after him. Such an honour should only be reserved to the likes of Royle Ritchie and Frizzell. A tribute yes but something perhaps abit smaller and more personal.

2 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

You see its very sad that Gordan has passed away he was a great servent for the club and a good man but I think its abit much to name a stand after him. Such an honour should only be reserved to the likes of Royle Ritchie and Frizzell. A tribute yes but something perhaps abit smaller and more personal.

I agree, party because I'm not sure Gordon would be the type to want a stand named after him. I think a plaque on the chair he always used to sit on during home games, and renaming the press box after him would be a more fitting tribute, for someone who was larger than life but not an attention seeker.

12 hours ago, marcuswill said:

As a Latics fan who lives a flight away from Boundary Park, I totally relate to this. 

The club has always gone above and beyond to welcome me and the group of mates I've dragged along with me - especially when we've arrived only for the match to be called off, which I've been unlucky enough to experience on more than a few occasions. 

Gordon personified this welcome. 

A mate of mine had organised - with Gordon's help - a half time message wishing me luck ahead of my wedding, for a bit of a laugh. It never happened (the message, not the wedding!) because a waterlogged pitch scuppered the game. And I never even knew it had been planned...

Until months later - on the eve of my wedding - I got a brilliant email from Gordon on behalf of the club wishing me luck. It was full of Gordon's sharp humour.  He even suggested that I should be banned from Boundary Park due to my unfortunate habit of bringing west of Ireland weather over with me. 

Gordon was a great man. 

Players come and players go. A tiny percentage become club legends. But none could replicate what Gordon brought to the club. 

He's irreplaceable - we were lucky to have him. 

Edited by Nohairdontcare

On 2017-6-20 at 6:55 AM, Stagger Lee said:

I think it was BP1932 that suggested the great idea that the press box be named after him.

Be nice if 'they' got of their arse and named the Jimmy Frizzell stand properly.

BP1960  not 1932 Stagger. Must be showing my age.

On 20 June 2017 at 10:45 PM, jorvik_latic said:

Watch this space. I really want to do something about this. 

I'd defo back you up on this....I know me and thee missed June trust meeting and I think they could be a less expensive idea that a whole stand/signage etc. Let's get it on the agenda to discuss

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, The Chaplain said:

I think the funeral will be 11.30am July 11th Oldham parish church. Keep checking in for confirmation.

I'm based in London these days, Chaplain. However, I would love dearly to come up and attend the service if at all possible; please can you confirm ASAP so I can try and make arrangements?

Thanks,

Ack