Latics Legend Gordon Lawton Has Died

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, leeslover said:

That's fantastic, I was really hoping it was saved somewhere. Possibly my favourite ever moment in football and Gordon's commentary brings it right back. Is there a good way to share that file type on Facebook and the like?

Dunno - send me your email address and i'll send you the mp3

Massive part of Latics over the 20+ years I have been watching and, not one bad word ever said about him from a club of constant moaning fans, is an absolute measure of the man. OAFC legend and hero. 

As a side note, I think the club have handled his passing amazingly well and have shown a huge amount of compassion and respect. 

6 hours ago, youngen said:

As a side note, I think the club have handled his passing amazingly well and have shown a huge amount of compassion and respect. 

Agree massively with this, they have done really well with it. The videos, comments from fans, other clubs etc. 

RIP

I guess we are nailed on for promotion now, with the big man blocking up half our goal, and blowing the ball in the other end.

I didn't know Gordy, but it feels like I did. Very upsetting news.

RIP Gordon

On 14/06/2017 at 11:40 AM, BP1960 said:

An extra legend stone must be created for him.

On 14/06/2017 at 11:46 AM, Ackey said:

It's ludicrous he doesn't already have one, I certainly assumed he did!

Alan Howarth, has posted this on Twitter 

The fact that he doesn't have a legend stone, and instead has an ordinary one (or is that a silver one), which I would wager he paid for himself, is a testament to the man. 

1 hour ago, rudemedic said:

Alan Howarth, has posted this on Twitter 

The fact that he doesn't have a legend stone, and instead has an ordinary one (or is that a silver one), which I would wager he paid for himself, is a testament to the man. 

I'd certainly chip in for it to be made a gold one. Maybe a gold brick not just the writing 

Edited by mcfluff1985

A true club legend, irreplaceable. His tenure at the club will almost certainly never be replicated by anyone else.

Been hit strangely hard by Gordon's passing. Despite only meeting him a couple of times, he was a humble, friendly and down-to-earth guy who put his heart and soul into the club. His LP commentary was pretty legendary, in particular the Scott Vernon goal against Manchester City in '05.

A long-lasting tribute has to be in order for Gordy. I agree with changing his brick in the North Stand to a Gold one, but I think we can do more than that to recognise him - It has been suggested on social-media that the Main Stand Paddock should be renamed the Gordon Lawton Paddock, a great suggestion and something that leaves a lasting legacy for years to come.

RIP Gordon, Mr Oldham Athletic.

9 hours ago, Latics_Fanatic said:

A true club legend, irreplaceable. His tenure at the club will almost certainly never be replicated by anyone else.

Been hit strangely hard by Gordon's passing. Despite only meeting him a couple of times, he was a humble, friendly and down-to-earth guy who put his heart and soul into the club. His LP commentary was pretty legendary, in particular the Scott Vernon goal against Manchester City in '05.

A long-lasting tribute has to be in order for Gordy. I agree with changing his brick in the North Stand to a Gold one, but I think we can do more than that to recognise him - It has been suggested on social-media that the Main Stand Paddock should be renamed the Gordon Lawton Paddock, a great suggestion and something that leaves a lasting legacy for years to come.

RIP Gordon, Mr Oldham Athletic.

Really love the idea of naming the paddock after Gordy. Has anyone suggested anything like this to the club ?

On 6/14/2017 at 11:23 AM, leeslover said:

He was even my mobile ringtone for a few years (Scunny away), RIP.

As tributes go, it's up there!

I can't add much to this that most have already said. Big Gordy was like a sort of family member working at the club. You had an affinity with him. I met him once or twice, he evidently came across as one of the good guys. I think a lot of people working at the club and who have previously worked with him will struggle to get to terms with this, such is his standing within Oldham Athletic.

Rest well big fella.

2 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

How about when we score at home they use a clip of his commentary? "Goooooal Latics"

I doubt they would do that but his commentary from the City game would be perfect...

Goal, goal, goal, goal, goal.... ??

Edited by palmer1

13 hours ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Really love the idea of naming the paddock after Gordy. Has anyone suggested anything like this to the club ?

I liked the idea someone (possibly an Oz based fan) said about a walk of legends with banners on poles. Have it between Hilbre Avenue and the North Stand and call it Gordon Lawton Way or something. 

On 16/06/2017 at 8:13 PM, dec666 said:

Some more nice tributes in here from Wellens, Sharp and Mike Keegan.

The one you didn't mention was the edited down version of Corney's, which, I have to say, was the best of the lot.  Better that the extended version where he managed to drop in how much stick he gets from the fans - not really the place for that.

2 hours ago, Stevie_J said:

The one you didn't mention was the edited down version of Corney's, which, I have to say, was the best of the lot.  Better that the extended version where he managed to drop in how much stick he gets from the fans - not really the place for that.

I think the point he was making was that those in the firing line, and not just him, get some stick and that's part and parcel of being at the club in certain circumstances, but he never heard anyone have a bad word to say about Gordon.

He was illustrating the difference between Gordon's standing at the club compared to others. I don't think it was meant as anything other than that.

One thing is for sure; Gordon is irreplaceable. They'll find someone else to do the job, but no one will ever be able to do what he had done over the last 31 years.