Choose 12 latics legends

As posted in other threads if the trust could organise a walk of legends, like the pictures below (from the St. George Dragons rugby league home ground in Sydney) we would have to choose maybe 12 people that have contributed to the club over the years above and beyond the normal call of duty. Of course the initial group can be added to in later years, maybe funded by a gala dinner to help pay for it and to celebrate the new inductees.

We would also have to set some criteria for the choice otherwise their may be to much bias to our glory years. So please suggest some criteria or rules that would have to be applied.

I would suggest the trust may want to run this but is there some other group that may deserve to be involved?

2007_legends-walk_0.jpg

Managers

Jimmy Frizzell

Joe Royle 

Players

Ian Wood

Roger Palmer

Ronnie Blair

Jim Bowie

Eric Gemmell

Andy Ritchie

David Wilson

Andy Goram

Staff

Billy Urmson

Alan Hardy

A donation to OWTB is on the way as a punishment for the spelling mistake - I am so ashamed

Edited by Stagger Lee

24 minutes ago, Stagger Lee said:

Managers

Jimmy Frizzell

Joe Royle 

Players

Ian Wood

Roger Palmer

Ronnie Blair

Jim Bowie

Eric Gemmell

Andy Ritchie

David Wilson

Andy Goram

Staff

Billy Urmson

Alan Hardy

A donation to OWTB is on the way as a punishment for the spelling mistake - I am so ashamed

Big Gordy ?

1 hour ago, Stagger Lee said:

Managers

Jimmy Frizzell

Joe Royle 

Players

Ian Wood

Roger Palmer

Ronnie Blair

Jim Bowie

Eric Gemmell

Andy Ritchie

David Wilson

Andy Goram

Staff

Billy Urmson

Alan Hardy

You spelt Brian wrong.

No Earl the Pearl!?

Captain of the side that won promotion for the first time in 68 years as Champs!

Scorer of our first goal in the top flight for 68 years at Anfield!

Record transfer received - 1.7 million.

14 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

No Earl the Pearl!?

Captain of the side that won promotion for the first time in 68 years as Champs!

Scorer of our first goal in the top flight for 68 years at Anfield!

Record transfer received - 1.7 million.

And the only Latics player to win an England cap, isn't he?

3 hours ago, ghostofcecere said:

Bobby Johnson

Eric Gemmell

Ian Wood

Roger Palmer

Andy Ritchie

Earl Barrett

John Sheridan

Ernie Cooksey

Alan Hardy

Gordon Lawton

Joe Royle

Jimmy Frizzell

Ernie Cooksey was a average player with a big heart who played only 35 plus games for Oldham.

His legend has grown due to horribly sad death at a young age. 100s of players have made far more impact on Latics. He shouldn't be in anybody's top 12.

1 hour ago, palmer1 said:

Ernie Cooksey was a average player with a big heart who played only 35 plus games for Oldham.

His legend has grown due to horribly sad death at a young age. 100s of players have made far more impact on Latics. He shouldn't be in anybody's top 12.

It's a fair point but we will all interpret the word legend differentry and it doesn't always have to be defined by impact on the pitch or on the team for that matter. Let everyone make there own minds up, why do you feel the need to question someone else's choice is beyond me.

12 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

It's a fair point but we will all interpret the word legend differentry and it doesn't always have to be defined by impact on the pitch or on the team for that matter. Let everyone make there own minds up, why do you feel the need to question someone else's choice is beyond me.

Eh?  The whole point is to debate isn't it?  How can you do that unless you question?

9 hours ago, Stagger Lee said:

As posted in other threads if the trust could organise a walk of legends, like the pictures below (from the St. George Dragons rugby league home ground in Sydney) we would have to choose maybe 12 people that have contributed to the club over the years above and beyond the normal call of duty. Of course the initial group can be added to in later years, maybe funded by a gala dinner to help pay for it and to celebrate the new inductees.

We would also have to set some criteria for the choice otherwise their may be to much bias to our glory years. So please suggest some criteria or rules that would have to be applied.

I would suggest the trust may want to run this but is there some other group that may deserve to be involved?

2007_legends-walk_0.jpg

I love this. The only thing wrong with it is the sooner they went up, the quicker they would be in someones back yard after a drunken Friday night. My missus lost count of the number of witches hats and roadworks signs that she found in the bedroom.

We did keep the flashing amber light barrier for a while though.

20 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Eh?  The whole point is to debate isn't it?  How can you do that unless you question?

"He shouldn't be in anybodys top 12" is debate?

As far as I'm aware he's the only one of our ex players who has a flag dedicated to him, that in itself is legendary status.

3 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

As far as I'm aware he's the only one of our ex players who has a flag dedicated to him, that in itself is legendary status.

It's a point of view which is generally the starting point for a debate

14 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

if he hadn't passed away tragically at a young age he wouldn't have a flag. He would be remembered fondly by some, not at all by others. Maybe sounds harsh but its the unfortunate reality.

How many would put Eyres ahead of Cooksey? I'd have neither in my 12 but many consider them legends. One for football...

Edited by palmer1

Just now, palmer1 said:

if he hadn't passed away tragically at a young age he wouldn't have a flag. He would be remembered fondly by some, not at all by others. 

How many would put Eyres ahead of Cooksey? I'd have neither in my 12 but many consider them legends. One for football...

I'd have Eyres in my 12 but not Cooksey if I'm honest but I can understand why some would consider Ernie, its worth pointing out that many of our fans have actually seen precious little success so factors other than footballing ability are bound to come into it.

5 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I'd have Eyres in my 12 but not Cooksey if I'm honest but I can understand why some would consider Ernie, its worth pointing out that many of our fans have actually seen precious little success so factors other than footballing ability are bound to come into it.

Fair enough, I just think it's a nice sentiment but for the wrong reasons.