Tommy Wright return confirmed

Man gets job

Man is successful at job

Man gets offered a better job 

Man is successful at new job 

Man makes big error in judgement (but is cleared of any wrong doing)

Gets fired from job 

Man gets old job back 

This is a story the world over! When he left us and was seen at Scunthorpe what was he supposed to do? Corney had let him go, so in fairness he was no longer ours to dictate to! Because we weren't told isn't his fault or his responsibility! 

Let's enjoy the fact that we finally have an identity and a team/staff that is ours and made up of "Oldhamers" instead of no marks who try to ruin us! I finally feel our Oldham has come back to us! 

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

Think Tommy knows where his bread is buttered this time. To be fair a deal had been agreed and was being announced the day after so why would he be doing anything for Oldham the day before? 

He is one of the best outside the premier league and if it means someone offers us cash for him again I wouldnt think twice in accepting the cash for him again. 

Im all for it. We will have got him cheaper this time as no one will have wanted to take him. Fair play to shez. 

Interested to know how you know this....

My opinion is I don't want him. Especially when he made it clear Barnsley are a bigger and better club than Latics, so you fans should just accept it. If my wife ran off with the next doors budgie and told cos it was better, she wouldn't be back.

One's mans opinion is not the next.

31 minutes ago, Lags said:

Don't worry, if Tommy gets wind of what he thinks is a better offer....he'll be offski again.

With respect though, couldn't you say the same for pretty much everyone in the game?

For me personally, despite the apparent unsavoury antics of when he returned with Barnsley, I feel like he's got enough credit in the bank given his connections with the club, 2 spells as player, now potentially his 3rd as assistant.

We've made him redundant in the past when we've seen fit, and expected that to just be seen as 'part and parcel' of the game. Who knows, perhaps he and Shez received offers when we were flying at points in 06/07 & 08/09, but stayed put? Fully respect your view point, but there's more to stuff than meets the eye sometimes - be interesting to see if he mentions it when he returns.  

Totally agree he's pretty lucky though, especially given the very public controversies he's been involved in recently. Hopefully he'll repay that trust we've placed n him once again. 

Edited by Chorlton_Latic

1 minute ago, Lags said:

My opinion is I don't want him. Especially when he made it clear Barnsley are a bigger and better club than Latics, so you fans should just accept it. If my wife ran off with the next doors budgie and told cos it was better, she wouldn't be back.

It's a job!! You get offered another one on more money do you carry on talking about your last job? No. Barnsley is a bigger club / fan base and have a damn sight more money. 

Does it hurt for you to hear the truth? 

Just now, adamoafc said:

It's a job!! You get offered another one on more money do you carry on talking about your last job? No. Barnsley is a bigger club / fan base and have a damn sight more money. 

Does it hurt for you to hear the truth? 

Barnsley historically are no bigger nor smaller.

Does Tommy Wright or someone's opinion on Barnsley hurt me? are you fucking real

6 minutes ago, Chorlton_Latic said:

With respect though, couldn't you pretty much say just about pretty much everyone in the game?

For me personally, despite the apparent unsavoury antics of when he returned with Barnsley, I feel like he's got enough credit in the bank given his connections with the club, 2 spells as player, now potentially his 3rd as assistant.

We've made him redundant in the past when we've seen fit, and expected that to just be seen as 'part and parcel' of the game. Who knows, perhaps he and Shez received offers when we were flying at points in 06/07 & 08/09, but stayed put when we were flying? Fully respect your view point, but there's more to stuff than meets the eye sometimes - be interesting to see if he mentions it when he returns.  

Totally agree he's pretty lucky though, especially given the very public controversies he's been involved in recently. Hopefully he'll repay that trust we've placed n him once again. 

Yes I agree, you could say that for pretty much everyone in the game.

At the end of the day it's still a job albeit football and footballers think its like no other. I look at it this way, even if I was very good at my job there are a good number of employers would say, no thanks after 3 goes at it.

2 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

It seems to really upset you just look at your posts! 

No, I am just naturally grumpy.

Once again, my opinion I don't want Tommy Wright.

So unless you have anything to say about the subject on Tommy Wright instead of how you perceive me to be hurt by the truth or my emotional well being I think this particular conversation is over. That's not to say the next topic won't be more engaging...

17 minutes ago, Lags said:

Exactly.

Many of us are absolutely fine with this. In fact I'm very happy about it - every time he's been part of the coaching staff we've been better than we were before and we've gone downhill every time he's left. Simple as that for me.

I'm struggling to muster anything resembling a fuck about any of the other stuff. 

16 hours ago, underdog said:

Wondering if it's the club testing the water with us fans after last time he was here and how he exited and all...hence it only a temp situation

Exactly what I thought. Slowly warm people to the idea.

Would be extremely poor form to sign Tommy Wright after his bung "allegations" considering what happened with Montano. Not a surprise though.

2 hours ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Would be extremely poor form to sign Tommy Wright after his bung "allegations" considering what happened with Montano. Not a surprise though.

That's completely different,  Montano's case went right to the heart of the actual match.

2 hours ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Taking 5 grand in cash for pointing some seemingly gullible foreigners wanting to get into football agency in the direction of a possible transfer deal or two is hardly the same as spot fixing....

Just now, HarryBosch said:

Taking 5 grand in cash for pointing some seemingly gullible foreigners wanting to get into football agency in the direction of a possible transfer deal or two is hardly the same as spot fixing....

I'll refer you to my answer 4 minutes ago.

1 hour ago, yarddogs said:

Mud sticks regardless whether or not he's a good coach how many other bungs has he taken in the past and let's be honest if he wouldn't have been caught would still be taking them.

Was it a "bung" though? More a consultancy fee paid in cash from what I saw. 

What I've always been most confused about is that, from what I saw  heard him say, Barnsley might have benefited had they been real agents and got big money moves for the players TW was pointing them in the direction of....

I'm not suggesting that was his motive but, still....

Edited by HarryBosch

2 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

I'll refer you to my answer 4 minutes ago.

The people he took the cash from seemed more daft than dodgy to me. 

He showed far more gift of the gab in those clips than I imagine is employed in any of our transfer dealings - I'd get him involved in on that score if I were Corney :grin:

1 minute ago, HarryBosch said:

Was it a "bung" though? More a consultancy fee paid in cash from what I saw. 

What I've always been most confused about is that, from what I saw  heard him say, Barnsley might have benefited had they been real agents and got big money moves for the players TW was pointing them in the direction of....

There's a certain amount of post rationalising going on here..... he was up to no good.... providing you with a window into his character.... and more widely, the filthy industry that football has become.

Just now, lookersstandandy said:

There's a certain amount of post rationalising going on here..... he was up to no good.... providing you with a window into his character.... and more widely, the filthy industry that football has become.

I agree but to what degree really? 

"Tommy - I've got some foreign business people looking to get into football agency in the UK who want someone experienced in the game to help them along. Will you meet them with me and have a chat. They'll pay you"

TW "Err, yeah, go on then..."

"Tommy - which Barnsley players might be worth us approaching to represent, players who might be able to get decent moves?"

TW "Well, Hourihane, him, him & him [how the fuck to these daft cunts not already know this if they want to be agents?]"

"Thanks Tommy - here's £5k in an envelope for your efforts"

TW "Oh, right, nice one.." [Shit, I probably should have OK'd this with Barnsley. Ah well, too late now, it'll be reet]

While it's undoubtedly against some football rules I still don't see how Barnsley suffered or might have suffered afterwards. Had they acted on his information they would have just been another firm of agents trying to get moves for their players other agents would have been trying to get moves for. 

He was/is daft but I don't have any concerns about him causing OAFC any issues... 

27 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

He was/is daft but I don't have any concerns about him causing OAFC any issues... 

.....other than it demonstrates he would be willing to place the lining of his own pocket above the interests of his employer, because he clearly broke the terms of his employment, which is why he was sacked. Not necessarily because he was sharing information that put at risk Barnsley's interest in player A. B or C.

We paid £20k for Rhys Murphy on the back of Tommy Wright specifically recommending him. The likelihood is that it was completely genuine and one that arguably could've worked for the club had they give him more time.

It didn't however and - following his conduct at Barnsley - one could be excused for pondering the circumstances of said recommendation.

Edited by lookersstandandy

1 hour ago, lookersstandandy said:

There's a certain amount of post rationalising going on here..... he was up to no good.... providing you with a window into his character.... and more widely, the filthy industry that football has always been.

STFY

4 hours ago, Lags said:

Barnsley historically are no bigger nor smaller.

I love this line that a lot of Latics fans revert to when forming an argument about other clubs.

When does this historical information start and end because for the majority of the last 20 years they have won promotions to a higher level, had a bigger stadium and more money. 

But yeah Tommy should have told them to fuck off because we were similar for most of the 70s and 80s!