Tommy Wright return confirmed

Not happy with this to be honest... Wasn't happy with the way and manner that he left and his behaviour on the first game back as opposition. 

I understand going back to something we know but i cant help but feel we've gone back once to often with this one

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, singe said:

I think it more likely the hold up is paperwork related because we don't have a Club Secretary since Gordon Lawton passed away,and someone may be on holiday.

All 3 is strange at first, but they all could be waiting for the paperwork.

Also Wellens doesn't strike me as someone that would hang around if things were being handled badly, and there was a sniff of something going wrong. He's well connected and would not be short of offers,

This would make sense. Especially as Ian Cheeseman offered to help the club out in this respect, saying we really need the help at the moment.

24 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Media duties for Cheesy surely.

I think Gordon had relinquished his media duties to concentrate on the Secretary role. I'm sure he could run his eye over a contract having just negotiated a severance package with the BBC.

Presumably the club is in the process of recruiting a replacement and Cheeseman has kindly offered to help out in any way be can.

2 hours ago, underdog said:

Wondering if it's the club testing the water with us fans after last time he was here and how he exited and all...hence it only a temp situation

Thank you for having so much belief in the club considering what the fans think!

it says more of you than it does of the club?

14 minutes ago, longtimeblue said:

Maybe. Him acting like a prick left a bitter taste though. Not even arsed about the bung.

What did he actually do? I was in Chaddy that day so although I've heard it referred to several times on here, I genuinely don't know what he did that was so bad?

15 minutes ago, Chorlton_Latic said:

What did he actually do? I was in Chaddy that day so although I've heard it referred to several times on here, I genuinely don't know what he did that was so bad?

To summarise, he was given dogs abuse by a section of our fans in the main stand, as was LJ.  He got fed up of it (as I'm sure most people would) and dished some back to the said section of fans.  I can't remember exactly what was said but i'm sure some others on here could elaborate further.    

Despite the bitterness of him leaving to go over the hill for the pot of gold with LJ I think Tommy Wright is a good assistant manager at this level.  And one that Shez obviously trusts and knows well too. 

Edited by johnafoafc

39 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

Tommy Wright gave back as good as he was getting from Latics fans. What's the problem?

This.

I was in the paddock that day, him and LJ got absolute dogs abuse. Absolutely no issue with him telling a few of us to fuck off, I certainly would of done the same. Not so much on here but on social media a lot of our fans are so precious, saying his behaviour that day was disgraceful etc, behave. We seem to have a lot of fans who can give it but don't like it back. 

The bung issue is a serious mark on his CV, he's lucky to be still in the game, but that's the fickle world of sport and football. Like what's been said he's clearly a good assistant manager, so I have zero problems him being ours. Welcome back Tommy. 

26 minutes ago, daniel said:

This.

I was in the paddock that day, him and LJ got absolute dogs abuse. Absolutely no issue with him telling a few of us to fuck off, I certainly would of done the same. Not so much on here but on social media a lot of our fans are so precious, saying his behaviour that day was disgraceful etc, behave. We seem to have a lot of fans who can give it but don't like it back. 

The bung issue is a serious mark on his CV, he's lucky to be still in the game, but that's the fickle world of sport and football. Like what's been said he's clearly a good assistant manager, so I have zero problems him being ours. Welcome back Tommy. 

Absolutely, we have a fair few precious fans who can give out pelters easily but can't take it back.

What bothered me more was him engineering a move away from here when we were flying relatively high, he then turned up at Glanford Park to scout Barnsley when most of our fans were non the wiser to his and LJ's move and by all accounts he let people know he didn't give a shit, if he hadn't fucked things up for himself I very much doubt if we'd of seen him back here but I suppose he needs another leg up and we do seem to have a soft spot for an undesirable. 

That said he is Shez' choice and he's obviously well respected within the game so on that basis he will get my support even if his last departure left a bitter taste.

3 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

What bothered me more was him engineering a move away from here when we were flying relatively high, he then turned up at Glanford Park to scout Barnsley when most of our fans were non the wiser to his and LJ's move and by all accounts he let people know he didn't give a shit, if he hadn't fucked things up for himself I very much doubt if we'd of seen him back here but I suppose he needs another leg up and we do seem to have a soft spot for an undesirable. 

That said he is Shez' choice and he's obviously well respected within the game so on that basis he will get my support even if his last departure left a bitter taste.

How did he engineer a move?

if you mean he was offered a job paying more money which he accepted and then scouted for his new team before Oldham announced it (not before he actually started his new job) then he definitely engineered it.

who's fault is it  that our fans hadn't been told what happened?

2 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

How did he engineer a move?

if you mean he was offered a job paying more money which he accepted and then scouted for his new team before Oldham announced it (not before he actually started his new job) then he definitely engineered it.

who's fault is it  that our fans hadn't been told what happened?

I didn't agree with it at the time quite strongly and whoever was to blame isn't really relevant, Wright and LJ were fully aware it hadn't been announced at our end but were quite happy to crack on in their new roles, for me that shows a lack of respect but each to their own.

As for engineering the move Wright and LJ were openly touting themselves around and to his credit SC got wind of this and tried to get the best deal for the club with regards to compensation.

4 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I didn't agree with it at the time quite strongly and whoever was to blame isn't really relevant, Wright and LJ were fully aware it hadn't been announced at our end but were quite happy to crack on in their new roles, for me that shows a lack of respect but each to their own.

As for engineering the move Wright and LJ were openly touting themselves around and to his credit SC got wind of this and tried to get the best deal for the club with regards to compensation.

I cant agree with the belief that just because we hadn't announced it they should get on with their new role. its irrelevant that fans feelings may get hurt.

Assistant Coaches generally don't tout themselves about either. LJ did and offered TW the chance to go with him, Notice he didn't when he left Barnsley?

As for respect? the minute fans show respect to footballers they deem not good enough then they can demand it back when someone leaves of their own accord.

12 hours ago, johnafoafc said:

To summarise, he was given dogs abuse by a section of our fans in the main stand, as was LJ.  He got fed up of it (as I'm sure most people would) and dished some back to the said section of fans.  I can't remember exactly what was said but i'm sure some others on here could elaborate further.    

Despite the bitterness of him leaving to go over the hill for the pot of gold with LJ I think Tommy Wright is a good assistant manager at this level.  And one that Shez obviously trusts and knows well too. 

Cheers for that. Given that I was letting Johnson exactly know what I thought of him leaving, albeit from the Chaddy, and factoring in that I've seen our own fans come to blows and tell each other go f**k themselves on several occasions down the years, I'm not gonna take the pious route on this one and file it under 'heat of the moment' and 'giving as good as he got', although can understand why some fans would feel a bit miffed given his connections with the club. 

From a football point of view, murky world of brown paper bags under the table firmly aside, it's a very sound appointment - not only is he experienced & a good fit with Shez, I genuinely believe he effectively saved Johnson's career when he came in 2013/14 and we coincidentally looked like a side which knew how to set up not to get beat after being weak as pish for most of the season previously. To surmise, despite the little careerist weasel loving the smell of his own farts, I severely doubt he would have got his dream move to darkest Yorkshire if it wasn't for Tommy (sorry, still clearly not over that one it seems!! )   

Hopefully the deals for him, Harbin & Wellens will be just a matter of dotting the I's and crossing the T's.

Edited by Chorlton_Latic

Tommy Wright, Tommy Wright, Tommy, Tommy Wright.

When he gets abuse he just lets loose,

Tommy, Tommy Wright.

Tommy Wright, Tommy Wright, Tommy, Tommy Wright.

We dont give a fuck when he gets us up,

Tommy, Tommy Wright.

This in my opinion is a welcome master stroke.

Tope and the Barca Mac will run League 1 ragged.

Don't worry, if Tommy gets wind of what he thinks is a better offer....he'll be offski again.

Don't want him back, we weren't good enough for the chancer before, we ain't now. The very fact he went to Scunny for his new role before finishing off here by preparing the side speaks volumes for me. He's a very lucky lad in my opinion.

Edited by Lags

11 minutes ago, Lags said:

Don't worry, if Tommy gets wind of what he thinks is a better offer....he'll be offski again.

Don't want him back, we weren't good enough for the chancer before, we ain't now. The very fact he went to Scunny for his new role before finishing off here by preparing the side speaks volumes for me. He's a very lucky lad in my opinion.

Think Tommy knows where his bread is buttered this time. To be fair a deal had been agreed and was being announced the day after so why would he be doing anything for Oldham the day before? 

He is one of the best outside the premier league and if it means someone offers us cash for him again I wouldnt think twice in accepting the cash for him again. 

Im all for it. We will have got him cheaper this time as no one will have wanted to take him. Fair play to shez.