Welcome Gyamfy

16 minutes ago, Blue_Guru said:

The waste of budget sat with Banks and Flynn is the real sticking point. Sheridan re-signed Green too which he may regret a bit. Fane won't be on big money so will be good value for a spot, Gardner I imagine is on similar to Banks. 

We probably should have done more to offload Banks and Flynn but Sheridan probably wanted to give them a fair crack...

But how do u offload them ? Can't see anyone in our league being interested. Then you look to league two. "Hey does anyone want these players that have not been good enough for perennial strugglers Oldham ". The worst bit for me is I'd imagine (unlike some here I won't say I know fur sure ) Flynn will be one of our bigger earners. As when he was signed he seemed to be coming with some pedigree, now he's just a chum. Doesn't look to have the heart to me. Whereas Banks doesn't seem to have the bollox

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think whilst in both stints Sheridan somehow extracted Play-off form, he didn't extract play-off performances.

He managed to grind out results but it didn't look like a team that could/would do it for 46 games.

The hope is a few additions would be enough to achieve that - it might still be the case but even the biggest optimist cannot have taken much out of Saturday's performance.

It's amusing how quickly we've been doomed after the relative optimism of the summer... 

I've been a pessimist ever since Mark Hughes did what he did - but I'm still thinking we're probably going to do okay this season. 

Saturday's defeat may ultimately help ground the team and lower inflated expectations. 

The season is only one match old. Long way to go. 

5 minutes ago, Scapegoat said:

I think whilst in both stints Sheridan somehow extracted Play-off form, he didn't extract play-off performances.

He managed to grind out results but it didn't look like a team that could/would do it for 46 games.

The hope is a few additions would be enough to achieve that - it might still be the case but even the biggest optimist cannot have taken much out of Saturday's performance.

In both Sheridans 2 recent half seasons we have done well but Saturday went a long way to confirming my theory that the poor quality of the pitch was our greatest  ally and enabled us to grind out results as visiting teams continued to try to play passing football on a pitch that played like a cobbled street.   Our weakness in pace, quality and craft are magnified on good playing surfaces and that is a challenge we are about to face for next 3 or 4 months at least

1 hour ago, NewBlue said:

He's pretty much the ideal signing

The Pompey fans on there forum last season, (had a look now and again to check on main,s progress) thought Roberts was well past his best, and they were using as a sub most of the time. They was saying his legs had gone.

9 minutes ago, RichardOafc said:

The Pompey fans on there forum last season, (had a look now and again to check on main,s progress) thought Roberts was well past his best, and they were using as a sub most of the time. They was saying his legs had gone.

Our fans (some anyway) would have written him off anyway long before seeing him play. 

11 minutes ago, RichardOafc said:

Sheridan's legs were held together by elastic bands when he was playing here he was still the best player in the team by a country mile.

1 hour ago, Nohairdontcare said:

It's amusing how quickly we've been doomed after the relative optimism of the summer... 

I've been a pessimist ever since Mark Hughes did what he did - but I'm still thinking we're probably going to do okay this season. 

Saturday's defeat may ultimately help ground the team and lower inflated expectations. 

The season is only one match old. Long way to go. 

In fairness to myself and deyeres, we've been pessimistic bastards all summer...

1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

Saturday's central midfield was the same central midfield Shez produced playoff form with last season....

This was with Ripley performing absolute heroics week after week. The outfield team is better than last year in my opinion (in all departments bar the loss of O'Neill) but Ripley was a major, major part of us grinding out victories.

2 hours ago, Blue_Guru said:

We probably should have done more to offload Banks and Flynn but Sheridan probably wanted to give them a fair crack...

Banks has definitely upped his game since Sheridan has come in.  I don't think he had a particularly bad game on Saturday - there was one crunching tackle from him when Oxford were breaking that was superb.

1 hour ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

But how do u offload them ? Can't see anyone in our league being interested. Then you look to league two. "Hey does anyone want these players that have not been good enough for perennial strugglers Oldham ". The worst bit for me is I'd imagine (unlike some here I won't say I know fur sure ) Flynn will be one of our bigger earners. As when he was signed he seemed to be coming with some pedigree, now he's just a chum. Doesn't look to have the heart to me. Whereas Banks doesn't seem to have the bollox

Fair point, I just mean making it clear they aren't part of his plans and letting them know they are free to find new clubs (which he may have done). The risk of that is losing the players mindset completely if no one came in for them at suitable terms.  (Not that their mindsets have much to lose).

I agree that Flynn will be on good money dropping from Sheff Utd, that's the sort of thing where I do feel Corneys pain/frustration. But he has made a rod for his own back with some of the management appointments these last few years. 

Thats why why I won't be too hard on Sheridan regardless this year. He has worked 2 miracles and has earned the right to have a couple of years making his squad. I don't doubt that next year all of Robinsons dross will be out of the club. 

4 minutes ago, Blue_Guru said:

I agree that Flynn will be on good money dropping from Sheff Utd, that's the sort of thing where I do feel Corneys pain/frustration. But he has made a rod for his own back with some of the management appointments these last few years. 

In all fairness to Corney, every manager brings in their fair share of overpaid deadwood, that's why every season or so we wheel out the cliche of shipping out the deadwood to build on the existing squad.

Reality is there are lots and lots of professional footballers happy to coast whenever they get a lengthy contract.

17 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Banks has definitely upped his game since Sheridan has come in.  I don't think he had a particularly bad game on Saturday - there was one crunching tackle from him when Oxford were breaking that was superb.

I wasnt there Saturday but have you just used the words crunching and tackle to talk about Ollie Banks ?

Edited by simplythemostimportantkick