Corney on Investment

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, bozman said:

It appears to be investment, rather than a sale, with Corney staying on as Chairman according to today's Chron.

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/10/oldham-athletic-news/105156/come-on-board

Its not a gift.  "Investment" will be in exchange for some shares, so its a partial sale.  

It isn't a full takeover, but its definitely a sale.

4 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Its not a gift.  "Investment" will be in exchange for some shares, so its a partial sale.  

It isn't a full takeover, but its definitely a sale.

Of course. I assumed the majority on here would understand that without having to spell it out.

19 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Why do people always assume the worst?  why do people think an investor/owner is always a rogue?  why do people think its always going to be reckless?  why does it have to be some rich blokes play thing for a couple of years until they get bored.

Perhaps a wealthy man is sensible and wants to build something.  

All of the sentences at the top were aimed at the Chelsea owner and all have proved to be incorrect.  Yes there are rogue owners but there are more decent ones and I will be viewing any new owner as a decent and sensible man until proven wrong.  Most wealthy people are intelligent individuals who have proved their worth and manage to accumulate wealth through decent business acumen.

Its a particular British problem, especially in the current climate with opposition leaders trying to divide and conquer, that a high percentage of the population wealthy people are somehow all evil shit houses constantly on the make/take.   I think it has a lot to do with entitlement and envy, but that's just my opinion.

Wow...not only something we agree on but isn't it refreshing to be talking about a potential new owner when a lot like to claim that nobody could ever possibly be interested in little old Oldham. Like were at other clubs like Rotherham and Bournemouth who were also on their arse end back in the day.

14 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Why do people always assume the worst?  why do people think an investor/owner is always a rogue?  why do people think its always going to be reckless?  why does it have to be some rich blokes play thing for a couple of years until they get bored.

Perhaps a wealthy man is sensible and wants to build something.  

All of the sentences at the top were aimed at the Chelsea owner and all have proved to be incorrect.  Yes there are rogue owners but there are more decent ones and I will be viewing any new owner as a decent and sensible man until proven wrong.  Most wealthy people are intelligent individuals who have proved their worth and manage to accumulate wealth through decent business acumen.

Its a particular British problem, especially in the current climate with opposition leaders trying to divide and conquer, that a high percentage of the population wealthy people are somehow all evil shit houses constantly on the make/take.   I think it has a lot to do with entitlement and envy, but that's just my opinion.

To an extent I agree with you but I think people are within their rights to be cautious knowone is calling him a rogue or a conman but let's face it if you put money into our football club then I hope you are prepared for the fact that it's highly unlikely you will be getting it back. If he's aware of this then great.

At this moment in time anything can happen though so I'm not going to make any judgement on the guy and neither should anyoneelse.

39 minutes ago, bozman said:

It appears to be investment, rather than a sale, with Corney staying on as Chairman according to today's Chron.

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/10/oldham-athletic-news/105156/come-on-board

Can't upload gifs anymore - the game's gone... 

Edited by HarryBosch

26 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Wow...not only something we agree on but isn't it refreshing to be talking about a potential new owner when a lot like to claim that nobody could ever possibly be interested in little old Oldham. Like were at other clubs like Rotherham and Bournemouth who were also on their arse end back in the day.

As it stands this is nothing at all like Rotherham nor Bournemouth. 

30 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

To an extent I agree with you but I think people are within their rights to be cautious knowone is calling him a rogue or a conman but let's face it if you put money into our football club then I hope you are prepared for the fact that it's highly unlikely you will be getting it back. If he's aware of this then great.

At this moment in time anything can happen though so I'm not going to make any judgement on the guy and neither should anyoneelse.

Entirely sensibe to be cautious, and I think you are being too. But there is a world of difference between that and saying its never going to happen, I don't believe it, its a smokescreen, I'm not even gong to see what he has said, he's lying etc like some have., and already made their mind up.  Some pretty juvenile, fingers in the ears going la-lal-la not listening responses!!!

Time will tell.

9 minutes ago, ChaddySmoker said:

As it stands this is nothing at all like Rotherham nor Bournemouth. 

Didn't say it was. I said "ideally" that's what I'd like

And their roads to recovery had to start somewhere

Edited by boundaryblue80

8 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

as it stands you have no idea what it IS or ISNT like.

:petesake:. Neither have you but I see that you have got your soap box out again.

Isnt it blindingly obvious that one can pour cold water on a comparison that is in no way valid and merely a pipedream.

The poster has replied himself that he meant 'ideally' but he hadnt said it, so I pointed it out for him. Its not difficult to understand. 

25 minutes ago, ChaddySmoker said:

:petesake:. Neither have you but I see that you have got your soap box out again.

Isnt it blindingly obvious that one can pour cold water on a comparison that is in no way valid and merely a pipedream.

The poster has replied himself that he meant 'ideally' but he hadnt said it, so I pointed it out for him. Its not difficult to understand. 

Oh I'm sorry, my mistake, I allowed your previous negative cynicism to colour my response.  apologies.

Investment in our club at a lower level that ultimately leads to stability and progress could make us more attractive to future investors or owners at a higher level, who knows?

Nobody knows what this is, what it could be and what it could lead to. Lets just leave it at that shall we.

1 hour ago, kowenicki said:

Oh I'm sorry, my mistake, I allowed your previous negative cynicism to colour my response.  apologies.

Investment in our club at a lower level that ultimately leads to stability and progress could make us more attractive to future investors or owners at a higher level, who knows?

Nobody knows what this is, what it could be and what it could lead to. Lets just leave it at that shall we.

And he continues the upward trajectory despite what we know so very little about and at the same time argues with anyone who does not believe the fable.

There is only 2 ways forward for a club at our level and that is a takeover or a brilliant manager or preferably both.

11 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Seems odd to me that he would come out with it on camera, when the deal almost sounds done. Why not wait till it is or mention it earlier but say it's early days. To name the guy too, just seems bizarre l

Well I would imagine it's to stop any rumours starting and unecessary suspicions being raised. I would also imagine he would have cleared it with the guy first before announcing who he was. If we are getting to that stage then any purchase of shares/investment must be close to getting done.

15 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Well I would imagine it's to stop any rumours starting and unecessary suspicions being raised. I would also imagine he would have cleared it with the guy first before announcing who he was. If we are getting to that stage then any purchase of shares/investment must be close to getting done.

I agree - he spoke out as the Chron were on to the story anyway.