Takeover / New Investment - What Rumours Have You Heard?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

That's a good question. One we'll never know the answer to, I suspect.

We likely might not find out, but then we don't need to know and its a private transaction.  But for a wild stab in the dark guess, I'd go with the majority owner of the shares. 

2 hours ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Corney has stated previously that a deposit had been paid 

2 hours ago, bozman said:

Yeah, I thought so. I was pretty sure he mentioned it in his video.

He said he'd been close before but never to the extent of someone paying a deposit. 

I didn't take that to mean Lemsegam had. 

Suppose you could though 

My point is that whatever it is that is going on and there is a great deal of evidence that something is going on will have had an impact on the players, manager and staff.  They might know more than us but they will be speculating about how whatever it is will impact on them.  We speculate on how it impacts on us as supporters but it is much more important when it is your futures/your employment that is potentially under threat.  Change can be for the better but not knowing what the change is can only be a negative.

Lets not forget we are concerned we are speculating because our team has had such a poor start.  I could be wrong but if the influx of players which seem to come from the whatever were that good they would be used to strengthen a team which has only four points from eight starts.

8 minutes ago, Hands on said:

My point is that whatever it is that is going on and there is a great deal of evidence that something is going on will have had an impact on the players, manager and staff.  They might know more than us but they will be speculating about how whatever it is will impact on them.  We speculate on how it impacts on us as supporters but it is much more important when it is your futures/your employment that is potentially under threat.  Change can be for the better but not knowing what the change is can only be a negative.

Lets not forget we are concerned we are speculating because our team has had such a poor start.  I could be wrong but if the influx of players which seem to come from the whatever were that good they would be used to strengthen a team which has only four points from eight starts.

Managers get sacked players don't they won't care 

On 18/09/2017 at 9:31 PM, Midsblue said:

Despite all the shite since, does any regret that Dowie season?!

And when reviewed - a pretty average (and arguably awful for a team in the Play Offs) home form.

A difficult to beat away side that picked up plenty of points on the road - but for the majority of the home only fans it was a poor season

1 hour ago, kowenicki said:

We likely might not find out, but then we don't need to know and its a private transaction.  But for a wild stab in the dark guess, I'd go with the majority owner of the shares. 

Precisely my point. Not sure how a payment to the majority owner would help safeguard the club.

7 minutes ago, blueatheart said:

Precisely my point. Not sure how a payment to the majority owner would help safeguard the club.

Clearly it wouldn't unless he used the payment to fund the club in the interim.

My hope is that, that is what he's done, and thats what is paying for the bulky squad we now have. Because if Abdallah pulls out  and we end up having to pay for them all ourselves, then we truly are screwed.

My point was that I believe Corney is smart enough that he would not expose himself, and the club, to that level of risk. So I think somehow the cost of employing the foreign legion is being borne by someone else. Be that via a deposit or some other mechanism.

20 minutes ago, blueatheart said:

He'd no longer be majority owner, at worst have less of a majority, and the new significant shareholder/majority owner might have better ideas around running the club well.... 

and he'd be fishing in a different pond to Corney for further investment, maybe... 

in summary, we might end up with someone with skin in the game who can make things happen better than SC 

22 minutes ago, jorvik_latic said:

The deal is not done. 

The deal is not done. According to the MEN article and our CEO or whatever he's called they are still in financial due diligence. With the time it's taking I'd say they must be counting every balti pie and practise bib. The good news is that (almost) nobody ever goes to the time and expense of doing the DD until they have a commercial deal agreed between the two parties (term sheet). So it very much looks like they are moving towards a close, but it really worries me that this is still "weeks away" because (a) this really is stretching out a bit now (b) our ownership and control structure is not that clear and (c) every day that goes by is a day when something can go wrong (worries about the world economy, buyer is attracted by something even shinier than OAFC, etc etc etc). I think we have a few strange and nervous weeks ahead. 

6 hours ago, bozman said:

Investment deal a step closer ....

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/oldham-athletic-news-takeover-lemsagam-13653213

but not much in the article that we don't already know.

True, but Matt Chambers will be relieved to know that, post-Chron, Ibby's posts live on. No sign of his alter ego MFC though.

5 hours ago, bozman said:

Clearly it wouldn't unless he used the payment to fund the club in the interim.

My hope is that, that is what he's done, and thats what is paying for the bulky squad we now have. Because if Abdallah pulls out  and we end up having to pay for them all ourselves, then we truly are screwed.

My point was that I believe Corney is smart enough that he would not expose himself, and the club, to that level of risk. So I think somehow the cost of employing the foreign legion is being borne by someone else. Be that via a deposit or some other mechanism.

The squad is not bulky. The squad is at a size it needs to be for a season (only Corneys starvation tactics makes people think it’s bulky now)...however, a number of them are only on loan until the end of the year. If the deal falls through, then they’ll most likely return to their parent clubs and these overseas players will make up a thinner squad for the rest of the season. 

One other thing people have forgotten...although, this may have changed now that Legasam looks close to securing a deal...is that in Corneys interview where he revealed the Morrocan he said there were 2 interested parties at the time. If this deal did fall through, it might not end there as far as a sale/investment is concerned. We just need to wait and see what unfolds. The sooner the better tho. 

1 hour ago, boundaryblue80 said:

The squad is not bulky. The squad is at a size it needs to be for a season (only Corneys starvation tactics makes people think it’s bulky now)...however, a number of them are only on loan until the end of the year. If the deal falls through, then they’ll most likely return to their parent clubs and these overseas players will make up a thinner squad for the rest of the season. 

One other thing people have forgotten...although, this may have changed now that Legasam looks close to securing a deal...is that in Corneys interview where he revealed the Morrocan he said there were 2 interested parties at the time. If this deal did fall through, it might not end there as far as a sale/investment is concerned. We just need to wait and see what unfolds. The sooner the better tho. 

I think the squad is bulky for a league 1 team. Look at the back of the programme from last weekend and compare our squad size to Shrewsbury's. We're setting up a development squad so they can all get a game!

Matt Chambers also said another batch of trialists have arrived this week. 

Though I do agree the loanees will have to leave if it falls through, I just don't believe Corney would be handing out 2 year contracts to players who've never played a game in English football if he was funding them himself.

My hunch is that the mention of the second interested party was probably a negotiating tactic. Plenty  of us have done it when we're selling our house and the potential buyer hasn't offered quite as much as we want. I do hope im wrong about that and there is someone else in line if this deal doesn't happen.

16 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Could we not have, instead, paid one or two quality League One players whatever we'll have to pay all these forruns and had a good crack at going up like?

Johnny foreigners are that good they are for when we go up ! Don't want to risk em against these league one cloggers. Not like you anyway Harry , how come you've decided they're no good already ? 

7 hours ago, bozman said:

I think the squad is bulky for a league 1 team. Look at the back of the programme from last weekend and compare our squad size to Shrewsbury's. We're setting up a development squad so they can all get a game!

Matt Chambers also said another batch of trialists have arrived this week. 

Though I do agree the loanees will have to leave if it falls through, I just don't believe Corney would be handing out 2 year contracts to players who've never played a game in English football if he was funding them himself.

My hunch is that the mention of the second interested party was probably a negotiating tactic. Plenty  of us have done it when we're selling our house and the potential buyer hasn't offered quite as much as we want. I do hope im wrong about that and there is someone else in line if this deal doesn't happen.

You want to compare our squad size to another League one minnow (forget their lofty position for a second) with a small pot to piss in like we have? Well yes, currently Legasams boys will make us look larger than them. 

Compared to bigger clubs in this league, who we dare to dream to compete against at the higher end of the table, the current squad size is refreshingly the size required to challenge for a 9 month season. However, the question over its quality remains to be answered. 

Archived