Takeover / New Investment - What Rumours Have You Heard?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm getting bored with all this now, reading it from afar in Worcester.
Can it not be now moved on a tad where Corney or the club make another statement of where we are.
I do feel for Sheridan and his team and players who are like us in "limbo land" at this present moment.
Ian G.

39 minutes ago, pcassist said:

I'm getting bored with all this now, reading it from afar in Worcester.
Can it not be now moved on a tad where Corney or the club make another statement of where we are.
I do feel for Sheridan and his team and players who are like us in "limbo land" at this present moment.
Ian G.

How are the players and managers in limbo land and why should this be affecting the players one bit?  Its far from limbo land when you have a raft of new players turning up.  I could understand that maybe just maybe it would affect Sheridan a bit, but I don't think he is the type.  The players should not be affected at all.

10 hours ago, boundaryblue80 said:

The squad is not bulky. The squad is at a size it needs to be for a season (only Corneys starvation tactics makes people think it’s bulky now)...

9 hours ago, bozman said:

I think the squad is bulky for a league 1 team. Look at the back of the programme from last weekend and compare our squad size to Shrewsbury's. We're setting up a development squad so they can all get a game!

8 hours ago, boundaryblue80 said:

You want to compare our squad size to another League one minnow (forget their lofty position for a second) with a small pot to piss in like we have? Well yes, currently Legasams boys will make us look larger than them. 

Compared to bigger clubs in this league, who we dare to dream to compete against at the higher end of the table, the current squad size is refreshingly the size required to challenge for a 9 month season. However, the question over its quality remains to be answered. 

Not bulky bb80? You are joking aren't you?

We currently have a squad of thirty-five players...clubs like Wigan and Bradford have large squads too but Blackburn Rovers have 27 and Charlton have 23 listed on their website.

Do we really need a squad this size? Nah, not really. 

Quality not quantity is far more important at any level. Bozman makes a fair point.

8 hours ago, boundaryblue80 said:

You want to compare our squad size to another League one minnow (forget their lofty position for a second) with a small pot to piss in like we have? Well yes, currently Legasams boys will make us look larger than them. 

Compared to bigger clubs in this league, who we dare to dream to compete against at the higher end of the table, the current squad size is refreshingly the size required to challenge for a 9 month season. However, the question over its quality remains to be answered. 

Shrewsbury is perhaps the wrong example to use as they have the smallest squad in the division. We currently have the 3rd largest behind Bradford and Bury according to this site. Interestingly, their estimated valuations, give us the 5th most valuable squad in the division. Though I'd have to admit I don't fancy our chances of selling Banks for £113k!

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-one/startseite/wettbewerb/GB3

The relevant comparison for the point I'm trying to make is our squad last year. For the second half of the season we were averaging 24 players compared to 31 now. Similar the season before. My point being that 24 is about the maximum  number Corney has been funding for the past few years. There is no way he's suddenly going to fund an extra 7 players himself, even on loan for half a season, with no apparent increase in revenue/ attendances. My belief is that money from elsewhere must be funding us already.

I don't disagree with your point that a bigger squyad gives us a better chance of doing well if the quality of player is up to scratch.

7 hours ago, opinions4u said:

Theory:

Abdullah has paid a decent wedge as a non refundable deposit to OAFC (not Corney) to look at the books.

Latics have used that money to give his players contracts, staying within FFP.

Maybe it will all turn out ok.

Exactly the point I was trying to make but put muc more succinctly

20 hours ago, Nohairdontcare said:

The Chron were on to it though. He had to say something. 

That's has been guessed at, and is a fair assumption, but not confirmed.

Anyway, how often have the Chron have run things leading to a rant? Not sure why this time was different.

14 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

We currently have a squad of thirty-five players...clubs like Wigan and Bradford have large squads too but Blackburn Rovers have 27 and Charlton have 23 listed on their website.

Quality not quantity is far more important at any level. Bozman makes a fair point.

35 FFS Thirty bleeding five. It is no wonder that OAFC has a loss every season. 35 overpaid soft arses FFS

18 hours ago, bozman said:

Investment deal a step closer ....

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/oldham-athletic-news-takeover-lemsagam-13653213

but not much in the article that we don't already know.

Isn't that Moisey quote "weeks rather than months" from his radio a few weeks ago rather than a new one ie another few weeks becoming months?

29 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

23 minutes ago, bozman said:

Shrewsbury is perhaps the wrong example to use as they have the smallest squad in the division. We currently have the 3rd largest behind Bradford and Bury according to this site. Interestingly, their estimated valuations, give us the 5th most valuable squad in the division. Though I'd have to admit I don't fancy our chances of selling Banks for £113k!

The relevant comparison for the point I'm trying to make is our squad last year. For the second half of the season we were averaging 24 players compared to 31 now. Similar the season before. My point being that 24 is about the maximum  number Corney has been funding for the past few years. There is no way he's suddenly going to fund an extra 7 players himself, even on loan for half a season, with no apparent increase in revenue/ attendances. My belief is that money from elsewhere must be funding us already.

I don't disagree with your point that a bigger squyad gives us a better chance of doing well if the quality of player is up to scratch.

For years we've moaned about our squad being too small, and now it's too big!

I'd be wary of using the trasnfermarkt site though. For example Shrewsbury Official has a first Team of 34.

https://www.shrewsburytown.com/teams/first-team/

I think there are varying definitions, including Youth contracts in some cases.

Blackburn official has 27 FT, but their last development team had 12 players not listed as part of the first team, so that is  squad of approaching 40 assuming some didn't get named.

Ours on transfermarkt includes the likes of Kallum Mantack, Jamie Stott and Mto a lesser extent Mason Fawns they are Reserve/Youth type. I am sure Shrewsbury have the same, not comparing apples and pears for me.

39 minutes ago, bozman said:

I totally agree about the point of it costing us more. And most likely come from the money/deposit Abdullah has given. We have been run on the bare minimum for the last couple of years and now we've got an amount of cash we have filled the squad out to the number it is now...it doesn't make it bulky. Not in my eyes. It makes it what it should be at a professional club. This belief that it's now over-inflated is people listening too much to Corneys shit over the years. 

I'm not joining in all the "Maybe, maybe not" speculation, for the simple fact that I have a life to lead and the simple fact that I am not bothered, as long as there is some entertaining football to be had for the money. I suspect, like others, that things would not be this far along if there was not the strongest of possibilities that the deal is going to be completed in the near future.

Having said that, if it falls through, it falls through. It's football. My life still goes on. But it is interesting to read other people's opinions and speculations, if only to see who was justified, come the end result.

52 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

1. I'll refer you to Singe's post...

11 minutes ago, singe said:

I'd be wary of using the trasnfermarkt site though. For example Shrewsbury Official has a first Team of 34.

2. Charlton and Blackburn..clubs with boardroom problems, relegation cost cutting measures (ones Wigan are flush enough to avoid) etc. If we are a club receiving investment (as it appears) and looking to push upwards, it will take having squads the size of Wigan and Bradford. Out of the 4 clubs you've mentioned, I know who'd I'd be staking money on to have the better seasons. But overall...it is quality over quantity that matters. I'd be more than happy to see the likes of Banks and Flynn fuck off and trim the squad down :lol:

9 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

I totally agree about the point of it costing us more. And most likely come from the money/deposit Abdullah has given. We have been run on the bare minimum for the last couple of years and now we've got an amount of cash we have filled the squad out to the number it is now...it doesn't make it bulky. Not in my eyes. It makes it what it should be at a professional club. This belief that it's now over-inflated is people listening too much to Corneys shit over the years. 

Overall I agree the point. I'm not sure it's just Corney bullshit though, some managers prefer a bigger squad, some don't and some wanted a smaller higher quality sqaud, but that didn't seem to work out.
I think we simply were using the deposit to fill the squad to a more respectable level to give us a chance tochallenge. Personally I don't think we are a millions miles from putting a few results together, I've confidence in Shez. and as he has said, we can quash the myth that players were signed over him. He has said he has the final say, I've always been confident of that. He's not the tyoe to allow others to dictate.

5 minutes ago, singe said:

Overall I agree the point. I'm not sure it's just Corney bullshit though, some managers prefer a bigger squad, some don't and some wanted a smaller higher quality sqaud, but that didn't seem to work out.
I think we simply were using the deposit to fill the squad to a more respectable level to give us a chance tochallenge. Personally I don't think we are a millions miles from putting a few results together, I've confidence in Shez. and as he has said, we can quash the myth that players were signed over him. He has said he has the final say, I've always been confident of that. He's not the tyoe to allow others to dictate.

Joining all the dots, I feel that "final say" came in way of compromise on deadline day. Bargaining chips were used. Shez saying "get me Doyle, Bryan, Byrne and Ruddy and I'm happy to take Abdullahs lads on too." Hence the squad size now.

3 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Joining all the dots, I feel that "final say" came in way of compromise on deadline day. Bargaining chips were used. Shez saying "get me Doyle, Bryan, Byrne and Ruddy and I'm happy to take Abdullahs lads on too." Hence the squad size now.

Yes, I think that's probably about right.

There are some quotes from Shez in the MEN saying he has met Abdallah and he thinks he wants to come in and do his best for the club. It also says he gave his blessing for the foreign signings to go ahead just before the deadline (i.e. when he had permission to get Doyle, Bryan, Byrne and Ruddy in.

36 minutes ago, singe said:

For years we've moaned about our squad being too small, and now it's too big!

Blackburn official has 27 FT, but their last development team had 12 players not listed as part of the first team, so that is  squad of approaching 40 assuming some didn't get named.

Ours on transfermarkt includes the likes of Kallum Mantack, Jamie Stott and Mto a lesser extent Mason Fawns they are Reserve/Youth type. I am sure Shrewsbury have the same, not comparing apples and pears for me.

Fair point about the accuracy of that site. It doesn't tally up well with a few clubs own sites (although it's pretty accurate for us).

I wouldn't class Shrewsbury as having a first team squad of 34 though, given 6 of those are out on loan. Still, 28 is a lot more than the 21 it says on transfermarkt.

2 minutes ago, Hands on said:

Where does the idea that deposit has been paid come from?

Corney's video interview. He mentions having never got as far as receiving a deposit from an investor before. Implying, but not stating categorically, that Abdullah had paid one.

1 hour ago, singe said:

That's has been guessed at, and is a fair assumption, but not confirmed.

Anyway, how often have the Chron have run things leading to a rant? Not sure why this time was different.

Matt Chambers reported in the Chron that the video statement from Corney came after the Chron had contacted the club about the potential investment/takeover.

It's not a major issue - but I take Matt's word for it and it explains why Corney did the video in the first place.

1 hour ago, Nohairdontcare said:

Matt Chambers reported in the Chron that the video statement from Corney came after the Chron had contacted the club about the potential investment/takeover.

It's not a major issue - but I take Matt's word for it and it explains why Corney did the video in the first place.

thanks, not disparaging Matt's or you. in fact very happy to believe it from Matt, I'd just not seen that he said that.

Pity you cannot go back and look at Chron archive any more too.

Archived