Ex players and that

On 4/21/2023 at 11:16 AM, TheBigDog said:

You mean the old favourite:

”I got pulled off at halftime”

”Wow, I just got oranges…”

in my head ld never heard it before but also deep down lno that lve said it myself nevermind somebody funnier came up with it for me to copy in the first place

2 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

in my head ld never heard it before but also deep down lno that lve said it myself nevermind somebody funnier came up with it for me to copy in the first place

The Marsh/Ramsey version is supposed to be true but who knows. I can't remember the details - was Marsh messing about in an England training session? So Alf threatened him and said, if you play like that tomorrow night, Marsh, I will pull you off at half-time. Marsh grinned and said, Christ Alf, at City we only get oranges at half-time. Not sure what Ramsey's response was but somehow I doubt he found it funny!

24 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

The Marsh/Ramsey version is supposed to be true but who knows. I can't remember the details - was Marsh messing about in an England training session? So Alf threatened him and said, if you play like that tomorrow night, Marsh, I will pull you off at half-time. Marsh grinned and said, Christ Alf, at City we only get oranges at half-time. Not sure what Ramsey's response was but somehow I doubt he found it funny!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/mar/24/rodney-marsh-manchester-city

• Like 1

In the version I heard many years ago, Ramsey tells Marsh "You'll be in the starting eleven, Rodney, but I might be pulling you off at half-time", to which Marsh replies, "Christ, Alf, I didn't realize you liked me that much!".

Edited by Summerdeep
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Summerdeep said:

In the version I heard many years ago, Ramsey tells Marsh "You'll be in the starting eleven, Rodney, but I might be pulling you off at half-time", to which Marsh replies, "Christ, Alf, I didn't realize you liked me that much!".

Definitely said "we only get an orange at City!", at least that's my memory.  🤪

Anyone know how Vaughan's transfer worked? Speaking to a Hull fan and he was raving (started the last 3 or so). 

He was on a professional contract and not solely due compensation?

My guess to him (because he thought they'd poached him from the Youths)... We gave him away and added a massive (30% or so) sell on clause. Purely guesswork on my part but he's of the opinion he'll be being watched in the non-too-distant.

Anyone know how it actually worked?

Edited by longtimeblue
Name

35 minutes ago, longtimeblue said:

Anyone know how Vaughan's transfer worked? Speaking to a Hull fan and he was raving (started the last 3 or so). 

He was on a professional contract and not solely due compensation?

My guess to him (because he thought they'd poached him from the Youths)... We gave him away and added a massive (30% or so) sell on clause. Purely guesswork on my part but he's of the opinion he'll be being watched in the non-too-distant.

Anyone know how it actually worked?

I heard we got some sort of payment for him making his first team debut 

• Like 1

tiny part of me wanted him to fail to avoid all this inevitable jealousy fuelled painful talk.

l mean the devils advocate part. the part most people can easily ignore or even claim doesnt exist, l cant ignore mine bc shes a strong, independent, middle aged woman of colour with an outstanding nack of winning at Football bets when lve spent my retainers and can't work for tax reasons!!

jesus lets make it all about me again 🙄

Harry Vaughan eh!! the irony of selling a future intenational in the exact position weve just spent a season bypassing is not lost on me.

bizzarely, l do believe the reason he didnt play so much for us was bc both Shez and Rhino believed the were helping him. or certainly that is how they justified it to themselves when they couldnt work out a way to build a team around a 16 year old in divisions 4 and 5.

Harry Vaughan, barring any cruel injury circs of course, is heading to the top and the lad himsself not only knows it, but also how to do it.

what an absolute Gem of a player and a Human.

gutted tbh. l could do with a few people gettin irrationally angry online so l can be distracted by them and not accidentally end up like them, if anybody can help?

tiny part of me wanted him to fail to avoid all this inevitable jealousy fuelled painful talk.

l mean the devils advocate part. the part most people can easily ignore or even claim doesnt exist, l cant ignore mine bc shes a strong, independent, middle aged woman of colour with an outstanding nack of winning at Football bets when lve spent my retainers and can't work for tax reasons!!

jesus lets make it all about me again 🙄

Harry Vaughan eh!! the irony of selling a future intenational in the exact position weve just spent a season bypassing is not lost on me.

bizzarely, l do believe the reason he didnt play so much for us was bc both Shez and Rhino believed the were helping him. or certainly that is how they justified it to themselves when they couldnt work out a way to build a team around a 16 year old in divisions 4 and 5.

Harry Vaughan, barring any cruel injury circs of course, is heading to the top and the lad himsself not only knows it, but also how to do it.

what an absolute Gem of a player and a Human.

gutted tbh. l could do with a few people gettin irrationally angry online so l can be distracted by them and not accidentally end up like them, if anybody can help?

Ah yes, best to never get upset, or uptight, about anything that you have no jurisdiction over.   Take a long relaxed break in a darkened room.           Your welcome.

Just now, 100milesaway said:

Ah yes, best to never get upset, or uptight, about anything that you have no jurisdiction over.   Take a long relaxed break in a darkened room.           Your welcome.

taking long rests in dark rooms is basically my life, which maybe why my temper goes on such long vacations these days.

however, not getting upset over stuff you can not control results in out of control capitalism, an unfolding but still denied climate catastrophe, war and rampant human and rights abuses including against children right in front of our faces.

so no l do not wish to join your lm OK Jack Denial Cult but thanks for seemingly inviting me in, apologies if l misunderstood 👍🏻

Just now, Monty Burns said:

taking long rests in dark rooms is basically my life, which maybe why my temper goes on such long vacations these days.

however, not getting upset over stuff you can not control results in out of control capitalism, an unfolding but still denied climate catastrophe, war and rampant human and rights abuses including against children right in front of our faces.

so no l do not wish to join your lm OK Jack Denial Cult but thanks for seemingly inviting me in, apologies if l misunderstood 👍🏻

fuckoff Monty you fuckin leftie twat

19 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

sorry for regularly spamming the board like this.

but now lm wasting the bandwith already and in light of such seemingly regular spam occurances, would it be possible to reintroduce the downboat function just for me? genuine question..

I'd join that party !!  😀👍

See, there you go again.

• Like 1

Some of us will remember Graham Bell and Mike Lester. 
The former even had then England manager Don Revie at Boundary Park to look at him. He had a decent career but never reached the level that was predicted for him.

Lester was also tipped for great things and , again, had a decent career but nothing special.

So when Vaughan is referenced as a future international or   at least, the very top, I’d exercise caution. 

• Like 1