Ex players and that

On 5/25/2023 at 9:07 PM, Flemboy said:

I tried an understatement. Lol.

I'll never forget waiting at Bournemouth  Station while he went for a box of beers and trying to stop the guard from the last train back leaving.

Thankfully he nade it by a second.

Also back late at Piccadlly talking the police out of arresting him!!!!

We

On 5/22/2023 at 11:10 PM, singe said:

Jack Ruddy released by Cowdenbeath, now in Scottish non league Lowland League and struggled this season. 

He wasn't even catching there, made 12 apps. out if their 40 games. 

He was one of those two shite keepers Shez signed when he wouldn’t have Jonny Placide forced on him. The other one is playing for Coventry in the play off final.

• Like 1

Kilcline, Pointon, Currie, Sharp......

Its an unpopular view but I think Big Joe lost the plot somewhat when he had cash to spend rather than collecting players who wanted to succeed but weren't rated by their clubs.

Perhaps there was other stuff going on but we were relegated with a poorer team than the one we were promoted with.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Longlostfan said:

Its an unpopular view but I think Big Joe lost the plot somewhat when he had cash to spend rather than collecting players who wanted to succeed but weren't rated by their clubs.

Perhaps there was other stuff going on but we were relegated with a poorer team than the one we were promoted with.

I think that's right but you cant include Sharp in that. Our highest top flight goalscorer.

1 hour ago, Longlostfan said:

Letting go of Warhurst and Redfearn was criminal.

• Like 1

this is not an unpopular view in the slightest, it was basically an accepted fact between Latics fans at the time. he then repeated it at subsequent clubs and made it a gilt edged Football fact.

1 hour ago, dannyboy55555 said:

I think that's right but you cant include Sharp in that. Our highest top flight goalscorer.

oh yes we fuckin can!!!!!!

at the time still should have been a class player but turned out to be the signing which basically started our sliding doors trip to division five.

worst. miss. ever. (apart from his other  one)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

oh yes we fuckin can!!!!!!

at the time still should have been a class player but turned out to be the signing which basically started our sliding doors trip to division five.

worst. miss. ever. (apart from his other  one)

That’s my point earlier, we gave away Warhurst who became a prolific striker for a has been who was lazy.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lukers1 said:

That’s my point earlier, we gave away Warhurst who became a prolific striker for a has been who was lazy.

mental laziness at Wembley. of all the times lve seen a player already mentally celebrating before he has even touched the ball, forcing the miss, then this one is the winner.

if he scored there l probably wouldnt even be a Latics fan (😳)

l was in the Latics end as a very young dirty red bastard 🤮

• Like 1

Just now, Monty Burns said:

mental laziness at Wembley. of all the times lve seen a player already mentally celebrating before he has even touched the ball, forcing the miss, then this one is the winner.

BRING BACK DOWNVOTING!!!

1 minute ago, Monty Burns said:

You've just answered a lot of questions I've been asking myself !  🙄

2 hours ago, Longlostfan said:

Plus the £500k wasted on Neil Macdonald.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

You've just answered a lot of questions I've been asking myself !  🙄

l fight alongside the underdogs. always have always will.

POWER TO THE PEOPLEEEEEE ✊🏿

🙄🙄🙄

Edited by Monty Burns
alongside
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lukers1 said:

Letting go of Warhurst and Redfearn was criminal.

I seem to recall Warhurst was agitating for a move- could be wrong though it was half a lifetime ago.

Redfearn I agree- workrate and goals from outside the box very positive. I don't recall MacDonald doing a great deal.

That's not very nice. She hasn't posted a lot recently I wonder are you the reason?

lve actually come back on just to amend this!!

l was walking to the lake and this very misunderstanding popped into my curse of a brain 🤣

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dannyboy55555 said:

6 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

this is not an unpopular view in the slightest, it was basically an accepted fact between Latics fans at the time. he then repeated it at subsequent clubs and made it a gilt edged Football fact.

Yes we can, always swanned around like he was Billy Big Bollocks.

Aside from the miss Monty refers to I will never forget the worst penalty I have ever seen at home to Leeds

”Not so” Sharpe scores that to give us a point and we stay up 

oh and he then went on to be a toss manager in a beige coat 

7 hours ago, Longlostfan said:

I thought Pointon was quite good 

• Like 1

To add to the Graeme Sharp bashing, my mate went on that pre-season tour of the Seychelles (1992 maybe?). There was only him, a woman from Derker and Tony Bugby over there from outside the club. He said the squad were fine, to a man. Apart from Sharp who was a massive obtuse wanker towards him.

Many of the opinions here echo my own recollections.

I couldn't believe it when, even before the first top-flight season had started, Royle sold Warhurst, a young, versatile, mobile player with International potential, and replaced him with an old clogger like Kilcline. I'm sure the latter gave his utmost to the club, but what sort of declaration of 'faith in the future' was that, seriously? I also seem to remember that Kilcline was purchased for the ludicrous price of around £400,000+ and sold just a few months later for not much more than half of that.

I had the impression that Royle had lost the financial acumen he had possessed a few years earlier, when he routinely purchased players for bargain prices who were later sold at a huge profit, though admittedly this sort of thing was becoming increasingly difficult to pull off, especially at the top level. £750,000 for Ian Olney, folks?

I suppose there are two basic takes on the Royle Premiership era. On the one hand, maybe he did as well as he could have done with a club of our resources, especially when you consider the experiences of other clubs of similar size which were promoted to the top flight in this era, eg Barnsley and Bradford City. And if Mark Hughes's volley at Wembley in 1994 had gone 18 inches higher, then who knows....?

On the other hand, teams like Burnley, Ipswich and even Wimbledon were able to sustain much longer periods in the top flight in the later 20th Century.

11 hours ago, Summerdeep said:

Many of the opinions here echo my own recollections.

I couldn't believe it when, even before the first top-flight season had started, Royle sold Warhurst, a young, versatile, mobile player with International potential, and replaced him with an old clogger like Kilcline. I'm sure the latter gave his utmost to the club, but what sort of declaration of 'faith in the future' was that, seriously? I also seem to remember that Kilcline was purchased for the ludicrous price of around £400,000+ and sold just a few months later for not much more than half of that.

I had the impression that Royle had lost the financial acumen he had possessed a few years earlier, when he routinely purchased players for bargain prices who were later sold at a huge profit, though admittedly this sort of thing was becoming increasingly difficult to pull off, especially at the top level. £750,000 for Ian Olney, folks?

I suppose there are two basic takes on the Royle Premiership era. On the one hand, maybe he did as well as he could have done with a club of our resources, especially when you consider the experiences of other clubs of similar size which were promoted to the top flight in this era, eg Barnsley and Bradford City. And if Mark Hughes's volley at Wembley in 1994 had gone 18 inches higher, then who knows....?

On the other hand, teams like Burnley, Ipswich and even Wimbledon were able to sustain much longer periods in the top flight in the later 20th Century.

Royle winning the FA Cup for Everton and getting Citeh (twice) promoted  showed he was a decent manager even when he was supported with a war chest. Signed some good players such as Olney (who would’ve been sold on for a bigger fee than £750k), Dunc Ferguson and Gary Speed. Worth noting too that he took over at Ipswich In administration and took them to the play-offs twice.

Oldham in the top flight was new waters not just for us, but for him. He was forced to adapt us from a club that played “the Royle way” in attractive football with tenacious players to one that could mix it on a regular basis with the big boys. We achieved that mostly, with some hairy moments. The only way we’d have probably had a longer run at it would be getting a Joe Kinnear or Allardyce in and changing it into a team of ‘orrible bastards playing ‘orrible, but effective football. We can see what the fanbase thought of that when we brought in Ronnie Moore ten years later.

So anyway, Royle made some mistakes with players (MacDonald, Kilcline) but I still think he had an eye for good players with cash on the hip. It’s a bit of a myth that he was shit as soon as he was given money to burn. When he left we should’ve gone for Neil Warnock then rather than two years later when Lees had lost total interest.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly
  • Like 3