Ex players and that

1 hour ago, UsedtobeWozzer said:

That’s not how it reads. Burton wanted him, we wanted him. We were his first choice, AL (allegedly) pulled the plug so he went to his second choice, the still interested Burton. 

Correct and Shez's second option Bailey Peacock-Farrell was also sent packing by AL, a keeper who then went on to play 11 Championship games for Leeds Utd and is reportedly the subject of a £4 million bid from Wolves, Ruddy and Wilson were only being considered as back up keepers (similar to how Kettings was used the previous season) to either Ripley or Peacock-Farrell but ended up being thrown in when Shez spat his dummy out over having Placide forced on him.

Edited by yarddog73

25 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Correct and Shez's second option Bailey Peacock-Farrell was also sent packing by AL,

Was it AL that sent him back though? I thought the consensus at the time was that he’d looked unimpressive in the friendlies he’d played in and was sent back because of that. I stand corrected if wrong though.

12 minutes ago, johnafoafc said:

Was it AL that sent him back though? I thought the consensus at the time was that he’d looked unimpressive in the friendlies he’d played in and was sent back because of that. I stand corrected if wrong though.

That was what was reported by those of us who can judge a player on a couple of games !!

Bristol City were interested at the time too, I daresay others we don't know about. We were way down the pecking order. 

My view is that we held out for Ripley as long as we could and Placide was always  our fall back if Ripley fell through. 

It went on for so long that if it was A L forcing him, (our interest was there for ages as long as possible) he'd have forced Shezs hand much sooner. 

Ripley was at the club all set to sign I had that info on very good authority and it was confirmed by Lee Sinnott a day or two later, it only needed the green light from AL at the time as he was stumping up the cash but he wouldn't agree to it as he wanted Placide in goal, its not rumour its how it panned out and Ripley was desperate to sign again, Shez rightly fought for him because signing him again based on his season with us was a no brainer and would of been a real coup.

28 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

That was what was reported by those of us who can judge a player on a couple of games !!

As I said, I stand corrected if wrong. I personally didn’t see the lad play so couldn’t form an opinion on him. But it didn’t take me long to figure out that Wilson and Ruddy were both duffers.

On 24/06/2018 at 3:21 AM, yarddog73 said:

I'd give you that if it was true but its not, Ripley was at the club all set to sign when the deal was vetoed by AL because he wanted his own man between the sticks, we were Ripleys preferred destination and the only club he was interested in signing for, he ended up at Burton when we ended our interest.

Except AL didn’t get his own man between the sticks... not until we had suffered Wilson and Ruddy 

31 minutes ago, Buckshawlatic said:

Except AL didn’t get his own man between the sticks... not until we had suffered Wilson and Ruddy 

A lot of mistakes were made by many at the club last season but in my opinion Shez "throwing the toys out of the pram" and refusing to consider Placide was an error we never really recovered from. We basically played the first 7 or 8 games with one hand tied behind our back due to his intransigence. A little common sense on all sides would have seen us in the same division. 

1 hour ago, Bobledgersheart said:

A lot of mistakes were made by many at the club last season but in my opinion Shez "throwing the toys out of the pram" and refusing to consider Placide was an error we never really recovered from. We basically played the first 7 or 8 games with one hand tied behind our back due to his intransigence. A little common sense on all sides would have seen us in the same division. 

I don’t blame shez for not playing placide... he’s shite.

43 minutes ago, oldhamoafc said:

That’s not what I said... but placide cost us far more than them other two did.

Only because they played less. Placide is far better than the other two. Not playing him from the start may well have cost us that vital point or two. Sheridan is far from blameless in our relegation. 

2 hours ago, Clifford said:

Only because they played less. Placide is far better than the other two. Not playing him from the start may well have cost us that vital point or two. Sheridan is far from blameless in our relegation. 

Sheridan was right he knew the writing was on the wall that Al was forcing players on him Placide was absolute liability in my opinion if Sheridan was left to pick his own players instead of players forced on him by Al even if well intention ed, we  would never have gone down under Shez.

Brought his own players in at Notts County. Had an embargo to contend with at first but eventually was allowed to sign about 5 players but they struggled to win under his management. Will be interesting to see how he does at Carlisle. 

3 hours ago, mickjagger said:

Sheridan was right he knew the writing was on the wall that Al was forcing players on him Placide was absolute liability in my opinion if Sheridan was left to pick his own players instead of players forced on him by Al even if well intention ed, we  would never have gone down under Shez.

AL clearly didn't make him play him. He just signed him. Shez chose to play two players not as good in goal to make a point. That point will have cost us points leading to him losing his job and us going down.

If you think those two are better than JP you must have taken as many drugs as your name sake.

Oh dear we need to get personal why cant people just have a difference of opinion so childish , so Al signed him not to play i dont think so, if you ask me was Placide one of the factors in us being relegated my answer would be 100 % yes.

Another debate is how much should the owner be choosing players if it is weighted to to much should we not employ a good coach as apposed to a manager? 

51 minutes ago, mickjagger said:

Another debate is how much should the owner be choosing players if it is weighted to to much should we not employ a good coach as apposed to a manager? 

Isn't that what we've done? A 55 year old with 25 years coaching experience in his first permanent management role.