Shrewsbury

Not convinced by Ruddy, I'd like to see Placide given a go. Seems daft not using such an experienced keeper. 

Edmundson was ok. As has been said by a few Clarke looks a shadow of himself. Gerrard too and he was back to being very quiet after coming back to life a bit v Charlton.

McLaughlin seems to be going backwards.

Gevaro was good, great cross for the goal. While I prefer a winger to be a bit livelier he's very clever both in the way he looks after the ball and "manages the game" (hate that phrase). He's clearly been coached well and it bodes well that might also apply to the rest of the forruns. 

Byrne was good as usual but I thought that was his poorest performance which is a back handed compliment. 

Same for Bryan.

Gardner too - his passing and running with the ball was a bit off and he was a bit of a liability defensively.

Davies is looking like exactly what we hoped we'd be getting - an older, wiser version of the Mental we knew and loved. 

Like Byrne, I thought this was Doyle's poorest performance. Again a back handed compliment. 

Fane didn't do much but didn't do anything wrong either.

Queensy was very disappointing. 

Tope didn't have much time to do anything but I'm happy he's back and might figure from hereon in. 

Disappointed, and surprised, with the result but again we looked good and will have a half decent season provided Lemsagam & his mates don't stupidly get rid of Shez, 

Oh, and the ref and North Stand side linesman were yet again as bad as we're becoming used to. 

I think fans need to get together and make some kind of protest against the standard of officiating. It's getting worse and worse.

Edited by HarryBosch

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

I'm not as wedded as some to the idea that Sheridan must stay.

Same I find it extremely odd 7 losses and he is still the man for the job, also far too loyal to senior players that should be dropped!!! swallow your pride give placide a chance poor sod Played  in French premier can't get a game in league one ha

29 minutes ago, Andy Perimeter West said:

Same I find it extremely odd 7 losses and he is still the man for the job, also far too loyal to senior players that should be dropped!!! swallow your pride give placide a chance poor sod Played  in French premier can't get a game in league one ha

If we had any decent replacements for Gerrard and Clarke the option would be there for Shez to change things, the big slips ups this season have been not signing any big quick central defenders and messing about with several poor keepers (by Ripley standards).

Edited by BP1960

Byrne is a wonderful player, he would walk into Shrews' midfield, Wigan must have some midfield if he can't get in. 

Their number 12 is a very good player at this level, thought the same last year. They knocked it about well but lets be honest, we created a LOT of chances never mind several good ones too from corners. We should have won, I believe we would have had Doyle (class player at this level) scored. He had to score that though, it seemed clear from there we would be punished.

3-5-2 while seems to be allowing us to play some cracking football in midfield is the problem. The keeper doesn't seem up to it, can't kick, flaps at crosses etc but the system will not work with Clarke and Gerrard. Like someone pointed out they are dragged wide and there is soooooo much space. It needs to be addressed

I don't think we should sack Shezza however I think its coming, i think he knows too. The home form must be addressed.

Still, some of the football today was a joy to watch and had Doyle scored, we would have won. Byrne again, what a player, Someone said earlier it was his poorest game? Top of the league Shrews couldn't get near him all game. MUST be signed on a long deal in Jan

There is a corner to be turned and I believe the team is edging along the wall, getting closer and closer. They will win games the fans expect them to lose and they will lose games they are expected to win. If Sheridan stays, it's going to be one of those roller coaster seasons...if he leaves, then it's anybody's guess.

Difficult one to analyse really because we should have got something out of the game, played really well yet lost and conceded two again.

The system and the players in it aren't suited. Ryan McLaughlin, Gerrard, Clarke mainly. If we play 352 we need players who are effective. We can't keep conceding two goals every game, we won't pick up points! Defence needs changing, wether it's a 3 or 2. We need hunt to play rwb in a 352 or left back in a 442. Gerrard and Clarke need splitting up and atm I'd have Gerrard over Clarke. We also need a keeper, we have two number 3s by the looks of it and placide who hasn't played and Sheridan sees as a number 2. Even more frustrating when Ripley is sat warming a bench!

Doyle scores that chance and we win, no doubt about it... saying that tho he's absolutely class for this level. Him and Davies are a cracking partnership! 

Going forward though people need to be sacrificed to pick some points up. As good as Gardner is, him being injured might give us the opportunity to do it. 

In a 442 we could have 

placide, dummigan, Gerrard, clarke, hunt, gevaro, Byrne, Bryan, Queensy, Davies, Doyle

or 352

placide, edmundson, Gerrard, Bryan, hunt, Byrne, one of new foreigners, Gardner, gevaro, Davies, Doyle 

2 hours ago, Wardie said:

It is at the moment.
Shrewsbury are top of the league, Oldham are bottom...what more is there to say?

That we set up too late for the season and have to then borrow players from other clubs to simply make ourselves even competitive, unfortunately whilst behind the scenes the circus goes on. This follows on from clearing the decks last year and appointing shit managers.

It is a shambles.  Corney OUT

Edited by ChaddySmoker

2 hours ago, Wardie said:

There is a corner to be turned and I believe the team is edging along the wall, getting closer and closer. They will win games the fans expect them to lose and they will lose games they are expected to win. If Sheridan stays, it's going to be one of those roller coaster seasons...if he leaves, then it's anybody's guess.

We are getting closer and closer to the corner to be turned....very soon we will be completely round the bend?

1 hour ago, ChaddySmoker said:

That we set up too late for the season and have to then borrow players from other clubs to simply make ourselves even competitive, unfortunately whilst behind the scenes the circus goes on. This follows on from clearing the decks last year and appointing shit managers.

It is a shambles.  Corney OUT

You think we could afford to buy players like Doyle, Bryan, Byrne? No. Me neither. So ye we've borrowed some players but they're fucking good ones

7 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

You think we could afford to buy players like Doyle, Bryan, Byrne? No. Me neither. So ye we've borrowed some players but they're fucking good ones

Even with those 3 we are bottom of the league. You need to look beyond the simple facts.

We are headed for serious trouble this season, even though we shouldnt go down with this team.

We have a massive squad, some of whom are on good money for the season, eg Flynn. Banks, Gerrard, Dummigan, Wilson. Holloway and Green, all not playing.

We are paying the wages for 3 keepers none of whom are good enough. Why not have 1 good one? We sold a good one cheaply.

There is a circus going on off the pitch which the club has responsibility for. If there is to be a takeover for goodness sake get it sorted out. 

If it is purely to be investment or another third party loan then good grief how hard is it to manage a business in a sensible manner.

Look at the example of yesterdays visitors! It isnt actually that difficult to do, just get a decent manager and leave him to it.

Edited by ChaddySmoker

The goals we are conceding are criminal...silly jumping in to two challenges cos us yesterday. Gravel and then clarke...

defence isn't working and I don't know if a simple change in personnel will cut it. The formation is making us very leaky and it's hurting us badly. We are exposed from out wide which is a weak point for Gerrard and clarke with low crosses into the box. They need big long balls being lumped through centre which you get from shutting down the width at the back. 

Under Shez last season at BP we played very narrow and in every game I saw gave opposing teams the freedom of the park down the flanks. We had the same CB's and even played another slow Boat in Wilson when Gerrard was injured but still managed to keep a fair few clean sheets and not the 2 goals per game we are conceding at present.

I didn't particularly like those tactics but they brought results. 3 5 2 is a very flexible formation but you need quick mobile CB's which we unfortunately don't have in our squad.

Perhaps there's one or two free agent CB's about who could help out as we've managed to find almost a full team of midfielders.

We also have had no defensive coach amongst our staff since Shirtliff left and rectifying that would no doubt help the cause!

30 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Under Shez last season at BP we played very narrow and in every game I saw gave opposing teams the freedom of the park down the flanks. We had the same CB's and even played another slow Boat in Wilson when Gerrard was injured but still managed to keep a fair few clean sheets and not the 2 goals per game we are conceding at present.

I didn't particularly like those tactics but they brought results. 3 5 2 is a very flexible formation but you need quick mobile CB's which we unfortunately don't have in our squad.

Perhaps there's one or two free agent CB's about who could help out as we've managed to find almost a full team of midfielders.

We also have had no defensive coach amongst our staff since Shirtliff left and rectifying that would no doubt help the cause!

So with one of the biggest squads in the League you propose bringing in another 2 players and yet another coach. 

Where's that magic money tree, still in Dubai?

Doesn't seem like money is too much of a problem of late does it?

I'm pretty sure the money tree you talk of is somewhat closer than Dubai!

The return to fitness of Stott and Hunt would help the cause substantially but we cannot continue leaking goals at the present rate....what do you suggest?