Dan Gardner - Immense

What a signing this lad is turning out to be such a perfect foil for Jack Bryne and under his guidance Fane is improving leaps and bounds.

Has a great engine on him and never seems to give the ball away playing him in a deeper role has proved to be a revelation and for me is the first name on the teamsheet.....

12 minutes ago, Mouth On Legs said:

What a signing this lad is turning out to be such a perfect foil for Jack Bryne and under his guidance Fane is improving leaps and bounds.

Has a great engine on him and never seems to give the ball away playing him in a deeper role has proved to be a revelation and for me is the first name on the teamsheet.....

I agree about him playing really well - can pick a lovely pass at times and very tricky- but not giving the ball away is a bit of a stretch as he can be a culprit for it in his own half at times.

I'd also like to see him shoot more when he has the space, cos he's got a rocket and would definitely score 4 or 5 a season...

Byrne is definitely a major link.  If we lost him January could Gardner and Fane be effective in their own?!

All three together including Nepomunceno are proving to be a decent middle four.  We've fielded them consistently - as we have the 11 - and this is a key reason for our recent success as we've kept same eleven playing.

Pressure on the board come January and beyond to keep this set of players together.  

10 from 12 points in last four league games is play-off/promotion form especially against the top teams we played in that period.  I can also see us getting at least 6 points from the next three games remaining October if we play to those same levels and intensity.

Gardner has been very impressive. Teams are beginning to mark Byrne out of games, but Gardner has enough quality to take full advantage of the extra space that will give him.

The last few times we had a midfielder able to run games, marking him stopped us significantly, I'm considerably less worried about that with Gardner.

Whilst I am certainly not going to disagree Gardner being a good signing and has played his part in the teams upturn. Last night was his poorest in the recent run for giving the ball away. Certainly first half. I am putting that down to the knock he received Saturday against Blackburn and a little bit of burn out. Currently I feel we have a midfield who compliment each other with their various strengths. Fane was my MOM by a country mile last night. All over the pitch winning the ball.

Bradford is a big pitch and I felt they knocked it about well using their knowledge of that width. So our midfield had to combat that to slowly grow into spells where we dominated the ball. Overall as you would expect Bradford had most possession on the night and a draw maybe was the correct result.

Maybe not the right thread for all that.......by there it is.

4 hours ago, Ak's11 said:

Did anyone else see the little spat between him and byrne last night?

Yes - Byrne had a pop at Gardner for giving the ball away, Gardner had a go back. It shows passion for me, better than a load of shrinking violets who can't take a bit...

20 minutes ago, Gawbie said:

Yes - Byrne had a pop at Gardner for giving the ball away, Gardner had a go back. It shows passion for me, better than a load of shrinking violets who can't take a bit...

Was it Vieira who said that for a team to be successful you needed to have at least 7 who'd run *towards* a fight, rather than away from it? Think we surpassed that last night!

5 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Was it Vieira who said that for a team to be successful you needed to have at least 7 who'd run *towards* a fight, rather than away from it? Think we surpassed that last night!

Kean certainly went to Hunt's aid and got stuck in

Some of Gardeners passes have been truly sublime. The cost is that some of them do get intercepted from time to time and leave us exposed but that is a price we have to pay if we want genuine entertaining attacking football. I hope that if we lose a game because of this the fans and manager will not get on his back and ruin his confidence.

I love watching this guy play.

3 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

when it kicked off a couple of times last night,the whole team were in there,even the manager....good times

Was fecking awful at home to Shrewsbury - the change between that game and the next home game was very obvious. He was superb on Saturday and from what I saw last night on a facebook live feed, he was good again. He has benefitted with Fane in the team doing his dirty work. When he was the base of the diamond vs Charlton we got over run, but with a ball winner with him, he looks a lot more assured and it shows off what he can do.

Byrne and Gardner can bring the ball forward from midfield as well as a midfield pair in league one.

11 hours ago, Midsblue said:

Byrne is definitely a major link.  If we lost him January could Gardner and Fane be effective in their own?!

No

I know its abit like comparing apples and oranges but Byrne is far more important to us than the other 2.

Gardner and Fane have been good recently and by doing the defensive work allows Byrne to go and have the freedom to do what he does best but both are far easier to replace than Byrne. I would imagine committing Byrne here will be one of the main tasks in January along with keeping hold of Doyle.

58 minutes ago, josh_latics said:

And the Haitian Prince. 

After his Cruyff ball control, setting up the goal and steaming half way across the pitch to help, and general immense play since starting surely he is due an upgrade to Haitian King?

1 minute ago, singe said:

After his Cruyff ball control, setting up the goal and steaming half way across the pitch to help, and general immense play since starting surely he is due an upgrade to Haitian King?

Wellens on the Placide shuffle:

“Johny doesn’t want to get into a habit of doing that but we know he has it in his locker and he’s brilliant with his kicking,” 

'nuff said...