The Abdallah Lemsagam era begins

4 minutes ago, Buckshawlatic said:

Hasn’t been last Friday of the month since about December 2016 when it was changed to last working day of month - not heard of first being introduced but may be wrong 

** though I’m talking full time staff - may be different for match day 

Did I not say, "used to be"?. Going to leave it at that because this is line of conversation is going nowhere constructive 

9 hours ago, Wardie said:

You did post it and I used it as an example of some of the comments being made. Nothing inaccurate about that. The dramatic license is is your opinion, to which you are entitled, as I am entitled to mine.

I just think a light heated comment about his smile and accusing him of money laundering probrably shouldn’t be put together 

5 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

I just think a light heated comment about his smile and accusing him of money laundering probrably shouldn’t be put together 

Good one. I think you've invented a new phrase there, and one which will come in especially useful on OWTB. 

My wife's first language is not English. The other day when I was giving her some well meaning advice [delivered, as usual, in a very structured and detailed manner] she accused me of "pesternising" her. I think that one's got mileage on here too. 

Any other suggestions for new OWTB words or phrases? 

• Like 1

I'm unsure whether this topic has been raised yet, forgive me if it has, but i think it worth it....

....I don't know how many of you follow Juel Miah on twitter? He's one of the official club photographers, along with Alan Howarth. Well worth a look if you don't, posts some great pics of matchdays et al......

Anyway, he's recently posted a picture of him meeting Abdallah and some of the players, Maouche, Nazon [I think?] and Moimbe for Friday prayers [Jumma].....

.....equally, I've noticed FFD [Fans for Diversity], which I think is an offshoot of the FSF [Football Supporters Federation - responsible for Kick it Out] recently [this season] open up a Latics branch - again can be found on Twitter - where folk from the Muslim community in Oldham are attending Latics games. Former professional footballer Anwar Uddin [started at West Ham, played mainly for Dagenham & Redbridge] is heavily involved in the campaign. Our opponents this w/e Bradford have something similar, called the Bangla Bantams.

This can only be a good thing on a number of obvious levels. For our beloved football club to make a step up in terms of revenue through supporter numbers, a Muslim owner could help to engage the large Muslim community of Oldham to attend games from which we could begin to better compete.

If ever there was a business 'plan' [sorry HarryBosch - but even you must admit this is fair enough] opportunity staring Mr Lemsagam in the face, this is one..... C'mon Abdallah, let's start talking about what your 'plans' are for the town and the football club. How about £100 season tickets like Bradford did..... heavily advertise it.... aim for 10k home fans every week.

Edited by lookersstandandy
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

How about £100 season tickets like Bradford did..... heavily advertise it.... aim for 10k home fans every week.

I thought this debate had been done to  death. I'm a long time season ticket holder and just can't envisage sufficient take up to make this viable. By all means try to attract any locals who don't already come, whatever their race, creed or colour, but our fan base is down to about 3500 and I can't see it increasing by more than 20-25% whatever offers are made or our league position. Rochdale tried something similar this season and the take-up was pretty poor. They revised their target down several times and were still well short. We wouldn't get 10,000 home fans if they were paid a fiver every game. 

20 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

I thought this debate had been done to  death. I'm a long time season ticket holder and just can't envisage sufficient take up to make this viable. By all means try to attract any locals who don't already come, whatever their race, creed or colour, but our fan base is down to about 3500 and I can't see it increasing by more than 20-25% whatever offers are made or our league position. Rochdale tried something similar this season and the take-up was pretty poor. They revised their target down several times and were still well short. We wouldn't get 10,000 home fans if they were paid a fiver every game. 

That's the spirit - reach for the stars.

No topic [done to death or not] is unworthy of raising again..... we have a new owner, who has a unique opportunity [now] to do things differently..... why not talk about it?

The alternative is to carry on as we are.... a football club that doesn't own land, or the only stand surrounding it's home ground that could generate an increase in revenue.... with a dwindling/dwindled fanbase that makes us [without a benevolent owner willing to lavish large amounts of money on it] unable to compete outside of the lower reaches of the football league.

C'mon, let's have a plan.

Edited by lookersstandandy

15 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

That's the spirit - reach for the stars.

No topic [done to death or not] is unworthy of raising again..... we have a new owner, who has a unique opportunity [now] to do things differently..... why not talk about it?

The alternative is to carry on as we are.... a football club that doesn't own land, or the only stand surrounding it's home ground that could generate an increase in revenue.... with a dwindling/dwindled fanbase that makes us [without a benevolent owner willing to lavish large amounts of money on it] unable to compete outside of the lower reaches of the football league.

C'mon, let's have a plan.

“Plan” is quickly becoming my second least favourite word behind “brexit” and that’s a made up one 

1 hour ago, lookersstandandy said:

I'm unsure whether this topic has been raised yet, forgive me if it has, but i think it worth it....

....I don't know how many of you follow Juel Miah on twitter? He's one of the official club photographers, along with Alan Howarth. Well worth a look if you don't, posts some great pics of matchdays et al......

Anyway, he's recently posted a picture of him meeting Abdallah and some of the players, Maouche, Nazon [I think?] and Moimbe for Friday prayers [Jumma].....

.....equally, I've noticed FFD [Fans for Diversity], which I think is an offshoot of the FSF [Football Supporters Federation - responsible for Kick it Out] recently [this season] open up a Latics branch - again can be found on Twitter - where folk from the Muslim community in Oldham are attending Latics games. Former professional footballer Anwar Uddin [started at West Ham, played mainly for Dagenham & Redbridge] is heavily involved in the campaign. Our opponents this w/e Bradford have something similar, called the Bangla Bantams.

This can only be a good thing on a number of obvious levels. For our beloved football club to make a step up in terms of revenue through supporter numbers, a Muslim owner could help to engage the large Muslim community of Oldham to attend games from which we could begin to better compete.

If ever there was a business 'plan' [sorry HarryBosch - but even you must admit this is fair enough] opportunity staring Mr Lemsagam in the face, this is one..... C'mon Abdallah, let's start talking about what your 'plans' are for the town and the football club. How about £100 season tickets like Bradford did..... heavily advertise it.... aim for 10k home fans every week.

This could be fantastic, I'm not sure AL can afford it though.

9 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

I get were you are coming from, it wasn't a personal attack on you or your comment, more of a selection of the range of comments.

4 hours ago, AlanGrovesFanClub said:

Good one. I think you've invented a new phrase there, and one which will come in especially useful on OWTB. 

My wife's first language is not English. The other day when I was giving her some well meaning advice [delivered, as usual, in a very structured and detailed manner] she accused me of "pesternising" her. I think that one's got mileage on here too. 

Any other suggestions for new OWTB words or phrases? 

My wife is a Glaswegian, she makes up her own words all the time!

2 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Bradford and Huddersfield both played the long game. Both Leeds strongholds but it's worked long term.

23 minutes ago, longtimeblue said:

Bradford and Huddersfield both played the long game. Both Leeds strongholds but it's worked long term.

Bradfords population is 5 times that of Oldham.

Huddersfield were lucky enough to have a fan as an owner who was willing to spend money, big money, on getting promoted. They also have a population 50% bigger than Oldham and are a tad cut off. Hudds isn’t a Leeds stronghold. I worked there for years. 

Edited by kowenicki

5 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Bradfords population is 5 times that of Oldham.

Huddersfield were lucky enough to have a fan as an owner who was willing to spend money, big money, on getting promoted. They also have a population 50% bigger than Oldham and are a tad cut off. Hudds isn’t a Leeds stronghold. I worked there for years. 

Oldham 230k

Huddersfield 260k

Bradford 530k 

According to Google.

10 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Oldham 230k

Huddersfield 260k

Bradford 530k 

According to Google.

Ahhh you are using the metropolitan borough.... ok. 

Bradford is the 6th biggest City in the UK. Hudds (not Kirklees) is much bigger than Oldham (not the borough) and has nowhere near as many easily accessible alternative teams. 

Edited by kowenicki

In recent times both Bradford and Huddersfield have had higher average crowds than us to begin with, even before they tried their respective season ticket promotions. They have also had success on the pitch to complement this which makes it a lot easier to sell to the average punter than an annual relegation battle with dour performances.

50 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

oldham is essentially a town within a very big conurbation. It doesn't have its own sense of identity in the way that hudds does and much of the population of Oldham don't associate with the town

As a result, oafc has little real presence in the town. Bury and Rochdale obviously in exactly the same position. That's the reality.