Plymouth (H)

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched the highlights.  Despite the defence being an obvious issue with a LB and CB needed, both their goals scored by midfielders wandering into our box totally unmarked/untracked.  Unacceptable. 

Also notable how those 2 goals were both from quick breaks.  As good as our passing can be, our attacking moves are generally so slow by the time we're looking for a through ball or cross the opposition has 10 players behind the ball.

Big issues to address.

1 hour ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

And your nowhere near funny enough to crack a joke ! There always flat and boring. 

Education, education, education.

I am sure plenty of others are as bored with your illiterate comments as I am so I intend not to respond further. 

You are on ignore, or will be when I can work it out! 

40 minutes ago, ChaddySmoker said:

Education, education, education.

I am sure plenty of others are as bored with your illiterate comments as I am so I intend not to respond further. 

You are on ignore, or will be when I can work it out! 

Struggling to work it out yeah ? Would you like me to educate you ? A lot of posters seem to think this is a Mensa board and not a footy one ! 

16 hours ago, daniel said:

Couldn’t disagree more, Davies upfront on his own isn’t good, but playing 1 up front at home is so negative, especially when the midfield don’t support, as soon as we go 2 up top, Davies was excellent, very easily the best striker on our books.

It is negative but, I think it brought about our biggest win of the season.... it was Doyle upfront though. Davies is good when he is close to the CB and turning him. Did it well a few times yesterday, one time leading upto our lucky goal. Everything else he does is frustrating. New lad was a breath of fresh air, turning and running at people and trying to get a shot off. 

Too many started out of position (5 by my count) but the biggest mistake was where Gardner started which was almost up top.

If Duckens had started we might have been more on the front foot.

Got to start outscoring opposition as we don't look like getting any clean sheets.

Problem is in the league we have only scored more than 1 goal twice since the end of October!

13 minutes ago, we hate man,u and city to said:

Clarke is shite/passed it. What is it with latics fans obsessions with ex-players. So what if Bryan has tailed off a bit, I'd prefer him to Clarke anyday of the week. Him having a go at Nepomuceno at the end, did piss me off though. 

Clarke isn't an ex player.

8 hours ago, opinions4u said:

Highlight of the day.

Placide wearing an away kit.

And that's when I thought our luck was out before we KO....why the hell did we have to change that surely wasn't their away kit was it?

Edited by underdog

3 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

On paper we have a really good midfield for this league, but I’d like to see Bryan in a holding midfield role, he does what Fane does but can pass and shoot 

We played Bryan there when he first came.

He and we looked far better when he moved to CB and infact I would keep him there.

I do agree about the midfield being a problem area but I would say we have a large amoubt of very average players in that position. Jack Byrne excepted but if we are to play with him we need 2 defensive midfielders because he simply wont get back and help out.

Failing a new centre mid coming in I'd go back to having Fane and Gardner in the middle and tell them to sit. Fane can be a ball winner and Gardner to be a deep lying playmaker but to still offer protection to the back 4. That way Byrne can play his natrual game playing off the cuff on one of the wings but being given the licence to roam. Play a fully fit Mclaughlin on the right who cam do both along with the Duck alongside Davies. We looked better when he came on as we started to stretch them with his running then I think we will be alright. A new left footed left back would slso help but I think we all agree on that one.

Edited by GlossopLatic

2 hours ago, OldHallam said:

Clarke has another year on contract doesn't he? Doubt that will happen though. Probably Bury manager by August. Needed more for experience and leadership in the last few mins of games when its tight. But appears his legs gone when not playing regularly. If he guides Bury down that is a contribution to our cause. Gone to reduce budget and give Wellens chance with others of FPP? 

Love it ! 

6 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

We played Bryan there when he first csme he and we looked far better when he moved to CB and infact I would keep him there.

I do agree about the midfield being a problem area but I would say we have a large amoubt of very average players in that position. Jack Byrne excepted but if we are to play with him we need 2 defensive midfielders because he simply wont get back and help out.

Failing a new centre mid coming in I'd go back to having Fane and Gardner in the middle and tell them to sit. Fane can be a ball winner and Gardner to be a deep lying playmaker but to still offer protection to the back 4. That way Byrne can play his natrual game playing off the cuff on one of the wings but being given the licence to roam. Play a fully fit Mclaughlin on the right who cam do both along with the Duck alongside Davies. We looked better when he came on as we started to stretch them with his running then I think we will be alright. A new left footed left back would slso help but I think we all agree on that one.

Personally, I would play one up front, the same midfield as you say, with Pringle on the left, McLaughlin on the right and Davies up top. 

Think this would make us more solid. And able to grind out the wins we need 

Edited by LightDN123

10 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Personally, I would play one up front, the same midfield as you say, with Pringle on the left, McLaughlin on the right and Davies up top. 

See your point, but I think more likely to grind out draws, if we could only keep a clean sheet.  For wins we need two up front. 

Edited by frizzell54

8 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I could go along with that however with that however if you are going with 1 upfront then you need strong runners in midfield who will help out and get up and support Davies. 

Tottenham execute the 1 uptop pretty well yes their 1 uptop is Harry Kane however they have Son and Deli Ali who are prepared to get up there and support him from midfield.

6 hours ago, welshgaz said:

Someone called it further up, but midfields pathetic attempts to track runners cost us big time. 

Pringle, Byrne and Gardner coasting about. 

How come you leave our defensive/holding midfielder out of that after us conceding two while he was on the pitch then none once he went off? 

48 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

How come you leave our defensive/holding midfielder out of that after us conceding two while he was on the pitch then none once he went off? 

You know what I thought of that same question and of you whilst I posted this. I knew you'd ask.

I need to watch the goals back but from the ones I saw there were plenty of our midfielders in our box but none of them picking a man up. But to be honest I left Fane out of the criticism because despite his limitations he gives everything. That's more than the lads quoted above. 

Edited by welshgaz

2 minutes ago, welshgaz said:

You know what I thought of that same question and of you whilst I posted this. I knew you'd ask.

I need to watch the goals back but from the ones I saw there were plenty of our midfielders in our box but none of them picking a man up. But to be honest I left Fane out of the criticism because despite his limitations he gives everything. That's more than the lads quoted above. 

I agree, I think, but while we're conceding too many & not scoring enough while Fane's on the pitch it renders him pretty much pointless.

Might aswell replace him with a lesser player that might create or score.... 

Pringle's been a huge disappointment. Shite.

Can we send him back before the deadline and get another loanee in? Benyu too.... 

Byrne will produce if he keeps doing what he's doing.

Gardner I can't get my head around. He was very good early in the season but has gone backwards massively. 

Assuming Pringle stays in I'd try Maouche ahead of Gardner for 2 or 3 games.... 

Fane and Gardner from the bench for a bit.....

What' Byrne doing currently that he needs to continue doing? He's carrying on where he left off whilst on loan. Contributing very little. Wellens said as much then gave him a 2.5 year deal.

Baffling tactics from the off yesterday. Play Byrne higher up off Davies where he has a free role. As it transpired he played deeper and still had a free role, as did Pringle and to a lesser extent Gardner. People in the bog we're bemoaning one up front. Whilst I agree we looked more threatening with 2 up top we should be harder to score against! Although we probably looked more threatening because Nazon was up for it.

I can't remember who said, Clarke or Gerrard but half the battle at this level is desire. We are massively short in that area.

We need some steel in there, whether that's someone alongside Fane or an upgrade on him.