Wellens Post Match

Not that it matters now but what changed Wellens's approach?

In the first 10 games, we had a devil may care, Royle-esque, just score more than we concede game plan. 

Was it the introduction of Jewell instead of Philliskirk as the 'voice of reason'? And who brought him in?

The start of the decline points to Jewell's influence as Lemsagem was still an outsider.

8 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Ripley all but signed until AL pulled the plug on the deal and forced Placide on Shez, I posted it on here at the time and it was the one decision that vexed Shez the most which resulted in him throwing his toys out of the pram, Ripley wanted to come back here it was his preferred option but AL wanted his own clown in goal.

Didn't Ripley sign for Burton before the season started?

8 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

In the first 10 games, we had a devil may care, Royle-esque, just score more than we concede game plan. 

Was it the introduction of Jewell instead of Philliskirk as the 'voice of reason'? And who brought him in?

The start of the decline points to Jewell's influence as Lemsagem was still an outsider.

Don't think he was there long enough to have any great influence and he didn't exactly seem engaged with the role.

28 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

The change to a less cavalier approach seemed  to coincide with Jewell's appointment. 

But Wellens was asked this in an interview  for  last week's match programme and he said he changed style because of pitches deteriorating when winter set in.

58 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Don't think he was there long enough to have any great influence and he didn't exactly seem engaged with the role.

Don't take this the wrong way but is that an informed comment?

All competitions results show:

Pre-Jewell appointment - 7W, 4D, 2L.

Post-Jewell appointment - 2W, 2D, 4L.

Looks like a major swing to me and more than a coincidence.

My thoughts are, and based on nothing more than a distant observation, that the replacement of Philliskirk with Jewell had a detrimental effect. 

56 minutes ago, bozman said:

The change to a less cavalier approach seemed  to coincide with Jewell's appointment. 

But Wellens was asked this in an interview  for  last week's match programme and he said he changed style because of pitches deteriorating when winter set in.

Which pretty much 80% of the crowd could have told him was about to happen. If we don't get the pitch relaid in the close season, then we need to fill the squad with players that are better suited to playing on poor surfaces.

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

So working on the basis that Wellens moves on, who comes in? A gnarled veteran? Another rookie? Think it could well be the most important decision in many a year.

Depends on money available.

Personally I'd get the pitch sorted once and for all.  As we're effectively tenants, isn't that now Blitz's responsibility?

From there we've always succeeded with attacking, cavalier play with a manager who's attack-minded.  If money was there - Cowley brothers or someone who's succeeding at L2 level and knows that league and leagues below.  Alternatively I'd go with Scholes with an experienced assistant - he'd be an inspiration coaching, won't be asking a fortune and could get us some quality kids from Championship and Prem plus tap into his mates at Salford who know the non-league market.

8 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

Personally I'd get the pitch sorted once and for all.  As we're effectively tenants, isn't that now Blitz's responsibility?

From there we've always succeeded with attacking, cavalier play with a manager who's attack-minded.  If money was there - Cowley brothers or someone who's succeeding at L2 level and knows that league and leagues below.  Alternatively I'd go with Scholes with an experienced assistant - he'd be an inspiration coaching, won't be asking a fortune and could get us some quality kids from Championship and Prem plus tap into his mates at Salford who know the non-league market.

I'd rather go with whichever hitherto unknown coach that Lemsagam has got in mind because, if we don't, we'll be stuck in this ridiculous halfway house of two groups of players... Some for the manager, some for the owner and endless excuses as to why the club doesn't work.

1 hour ago, Twisbrogan said:

I'd rather go with whichever hitherto unknown coach that Lemsagam has got in mind because, if we don't, we'll be stuck in this ridiculous halfway house of two groups of players... Some for the manager, some for the owner and endless excuses as to why the club doesn't work.

Spot on. 

4 hours ago, BP1960 said:

If RW keeps his job we will soon find out who he thinks the non performers are he alluded to in his post match interview, they wont be retained or contracts ripped up.

. . . and if RW is sacked immediately, who will compile the retained list? AL? We have no assistant manager and TP is suspended!

4 hours ago, deyres42 said:

So working on the basis that Wellens moves on, who comes in? A gnarled veteran? Another rookie? Think it could well be the most important decision in many a year.

I imagine it will be a foreign coach, one who doesn't mind players being dumped on him without prior warning. He may even have a crack at it himself...

5 hours ago, LaticMark said:

. . . and if RW is sacked immediately, who will compile the retained list? AL? We have no assistant manager and TP is suspended!

BP can do it. I'd trust him to do a better job. Just get get that useless dick wellens out - NOW. I'd rather have Walliams than Wallyens. Why is he even still here? Anyone with an ounce of decency would've left straight after the match. I get the impression he couldn't give a toss.

GO NOW. 

3 hours ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

BP can do it. I'd trust him to do a better job. Just get get that useless dick wellens out - NOW. I'd rather have Walliams than Wallyens. Why is he even still here? Anyone with an ounce of decency would've left straight after the match. I get the impression he couldn't give a toss.

GO NOW. 

RW needed an old head alongside him. I know Paul Jewell didn't work out, but TP seemed a good influence until he left the scene.

I'd have advised him the team had a dysfunctional formation, unbalanced, too narrow and often leaving one full back exposed.

Opposition scouts latch on to such tactics quickly, reporting back targetting the weak links.

The lack of good genuine wide men was a major problem, next season I'd be looking for a solid goalkeeper, a couple of big strong centre backs who's legs havent gone, a couple of wingers who can beat a man and cross a ball, a no nonsense tall strapping 

centre forward who can hold up the ball  and a goal poacher.

They are all out there and within budget.

The foreign influence concerns me, all agent recommended players wouldn't  be signed without been seen and approved by the manager.

As for tactics keep it simple, get your best players in the positions they know how to play, no more square pegs in round holes.

Most of all every player would have to have the heart for a battle. No shrinking violets in my squad.

I'd also enter into a good reserve or u23 league to give squad players regular games.

Well that's promotion back to league one and  big cup runs sorted...have I impressed the board with my interview?

Edited by BP1960

5 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

The lack of good genuine wide men was a major problem, next season I'd be looking for a solid goalkeeper, a couple of big strong centre backs who's legs havent gone, 

You wouldn't go with Edmondson & Hamer?

37 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

You wouldn't go with Edmondson & Hamer?

Tom woud be the regular right back Dave (until I decide he should progress higher and sell him for a deal worth millions) and as shown this season proper cover is needed at centre back.

Two on the books isn't enough. 

Edited by BP1960

I'm sure that AL thinks he is competent to sort out the retained list.  Paul Terry will be on holiday.

We are going to see the ultimate of an owner playing the football game with our club.  if I believed I would now be on my hands and knees praying.

9 hours ago, Midsblue said:

This reminds me of a rental property I used to have and the tenant complaining that the grass needed cutting......