Newport (H)

18 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Looks like a stamina problem to me, I think most on here would say he sprayed some good passes  in the first half, but was ragged in the second.

I would tend to agree with the stamina point, same as last season.  He has a 20 min spell where he tracks and wins the ball back and makes some good passes and involved in evsrything.  He fades badly around 50/60 mins and tends then to go missing and struggles thereafter.   Thought he has had a stamina problem since the start of last season.

I dont think today was that bad I think we probably edged the play overall we had 4 chances 2nd half 1 from Surridge 1 from Baxter and 2 from Branger atleast 1 should have gone in. Newport were big strong physical organised and clinical hence why they are where they are.

Gardners passing was actually better than last week but still its not as good as it should be, I can see why people would want maouche to start ahead of him right now.

Baxter didnt offer anything when he came on hes still not upto speed yet. It didnt happen for Surridge today it was one of those games for him

Missilou had a great game except for the goal where he didnt track the runner who scored hence why he got a bollocking from Clarke. Apart from that he was pretty much faultless

I thought Lang looked good took people on tried to make things happen alright it didnt always come off but you want players like that to try tricks and flicks and take people on amd for that reason we should encourage him to do mire of the same.

Apart from that Im not that worried about today. Pick ourselves up crack open a beer tonight and go again next week at Grimsby where we will take a decent following.

Onwards and upwards.

Edited by GlossopLatic

20 minutes ago, Horlicks said:

Like Brexit we have engineered our own downfall, getting rid of Byrne is as stupid a decision as leaving the European Union

How long are some going to wheel this out for?

He was part of the team that got relegated, broke a team mate's leg and is no longer at Latics because people more qualified than anyone on this board don't think he'd contribute to our team positively..

24 minutes ago, Horlicks said:

Like Brexit we have engineered our own downfall, getting rid of Byrne is as stupid a decision as leaving the European Union

While Im very much in the Brexit is an act stupid self sabotage camp, I'm not sure thats a good example the players out there were good enough to have won the game today we had chances and abit better decision making in the final 3rd would have won the game.

Plus critically Byrne has gone its time to move on.

Edited by GlossopLatic

30 minutes ago, Horlicks said:

You are forgetting the Brexit like of iast season when Byrne did little when the crunch came to keep us up.

Edited by BP1960

5 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

While Im very much in the Brexit is an act stupid self sabotage camp, I'm not sure thats a good example the players out there were good enough to have won the game today we had chances and abit better decision making in the final 3rd would have won the game.

Plus critically Byrne has gone its time to move on.

But his name will, rightly, be brought up when they put in performances like today.

5 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Because on days like today he is a player who can make a difference, we don't have any of those in the current squad.

He's gone and we must all move on, today was one of those days but we'll bounce back and no doubts at Grimsby who got battered today

1 hour ago, OneSizeFitz said:

Gardner was poor for the last half-hour, but think some of the vitriol on here is a bit of an over-reaction...

This for me, huge overreaction to Gardners performance, he is far from the complete midfielder but he's nowhere near as bad as he's being made out to be. He's one of few players in our team that will try to make things happen but he's a league Two player so they are not always going to come off. But you cant have a team of players who are just going to go for a 5 yard sideways pass you need someone who is going to at least try to create something, Lang looks willing to run at people and looked promising for the most part today, Baxter doesn't appear to be able to play 90mins and something didn't look right with him when he came on today, at the minute Gardner is the best bet we've got for midfield, if the villa lad gets fit maybe he'll be better but until then we don't have many options

6 minutes ago, Gemma06 said:

This for me, huge overreaction to Gardners performance, he is far from the complete midfielder but he's nowhere near as bad as he's being made out to be. He's one of few players in our team that will try to make things happen but he's a league Two player so they are not always going to come off. But you cant have a team of players who are just going to go for a 5 yard sideways pass you need someone who is going to at least try to create something, Lang looks willing to run at people and looked promising for the most part today, Baxter doesn't appear to be able to play 90mins and something didn't look right with him when he came on today, at the minute Gardner is the best bet we've got for midfield, if the villa lad gets fit maybe he'll be better but until then we don't have many options

A lot has fallen on Gardners shoulders and he should be cut a little slack, more than good enough for this League and I still believe once this team fully bonds we'll be in the mix at the end of the season  

15 minutes ago, jorvik_latic said:

Looks like Gardner is this year’s boo boy, he’s nowhere near as bad as people are making out. Had a neutral with me today who thinks he was one of our better players today, I agree with him. 

Not sure that a neutral agreed with you means anything. Actually, I am... it means nowt.

The vast majority there today that I’ve spoken to (actually everyone I’ve spoken to) thought he had a shocker. As he has a few times this season.