Scholes gone

Scholes didn’t come over as bitter but just dejected and disappointed over Lemsagam’s interference especially with Clarke.  He even admitted he probably wasn’t good enough in light of Wild securing 10 from 12 points since.  McManaman tried to stoke the fire playing the ex-player solidarity card that always sickens me amongst this footballing “elite” but Scholes didn’t bite.  

What worries me even more is Lemsagam’s interference to the point of insisting our club captain is dropped because he had the audacity of questioning Missilou’s performance.  This smacks of a divide where “his” players are untouchable and echos suggestions that he demands these players are selected regardless of form.

Its now April 14th - two days after the Trust’s deadline - and no news from Lemsagam.  Any owner wanting to build bridges would have done everything to unite the fans and shouldn’t have needed a demanding letter to prompt him.  To completely ignore the letter proves the contempt he has for the fans regardless of what he’s spouted.  Results on the pitch are short-term - this cancer at the helm needs removing ASAP.  

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Let’s face it, I’m not wrong about Scholes neither. 

Self respect? 

Easiest thing would surely have been to just stay and let them two continue interfering.

Quitting when you know you'd get stick and be judged for it much harder.

2 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

Scholes didn’t come over as bitter but just dejected and disappointed over Lemsagam’s interference especially with Clarke.  He even admitted he probably wasn’t good enough in light of Wild securing 10 from 12 points since.  McManaman tried to stoke the fire playing the ex-player solidarity card that always sickens me amongst this footballing “elite” but Scholes didn’t bite.  

What worries me even more is Lemsagam’s interference to the point of insisting our club captain is dropped because he had the audacity of questioning Missilou’s performance.  This smacks of a divide where “his” players are untouchable and echos suggestions that he demands these players are selected regardless of form.

Its now April 14th - two days after the Trust’s deadline - and no news from Lemsagam.  Any owner wanting to build bridges would have done everything to unite the fans and shouldn’t have needed a demanding letter to prompt him.  To completely ignore the letter proves the contempt he has for the fans regardless of what he’s spouted.  Results on the pitch are short-term - this cancer at the helm needs removing ASAP.  

Excellent post. Sums it up perfectly; somehow, this lunatic needs to be as far away from the club as possible. Permanently. But how do you get someone else in? That's the crunch.

4 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Easiest thing would surely have been to just stay and let them two continue interfering.

You judge every other manager on the football, yet with Scholes your talking about his character. 

It’s almost as if your trying to deflect from his abject winless football. . 

Read the above post. Even Scholes said he wasn’t good enough! 

We know how we all feel about AL. But that can’t hide the fact, that Scholes isn’t a very good football manager, he isn’t a leader or particularly inspiring. 

Coach. Yes.

Manager. No. 

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

You judge every other manager on the football, yet with Scholes your talking about his character. 

It’s almost as if your trying to deflect from his abject winless football. . 

Read the above post. Even Scholes said he wasn’t good enough! 

We know how we all feel about AL. But that can’t hide the fact, that Scholes isn’t a very good football manager, he isn’t a leader or particularly inspiring. 

Coach. Yes.

Manager. No. 

He was laughing as he said that, hardly a statement of fact.

If we get the extra 4-5 points which we could easily have done, is he still a bad manager?

9 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

Excellent post. Sums it up perfectly; somehow, this lunatic needs to be as far away from the club as possible. Permanently. But how do you get someone else in? That's the crunch.

Frankly I’m beyond caring who takes over.  

Even if the very worst happened and he walked, we entered administration and had points docked resulting in relegation then we start afresh.  Success non-league isn’t guaranteed but the toxicity is removed.  

If the stadium is acquired by a fan-led consortium then a new club owner has the assurances that they won’t be fleeced on rent etc if that owner demonstrates from the very start that they share the same intentions.   Ironically I could see Scholes involved if this was to happen.  Calibre of players lower but we start again.

They say the grass is never greener but I’d rather have Corney at the helm.  Yes he too didn’t engage with the Trust but at least there wasn’t negativity around team interference, player unrest, destabilisation.  I’m still to see what debts he passed onto Lemsagam.  Where’s the proof?  They could have been minimal and we’ve been hoodwinked the second this Clown stepped foot into Boundary Park.

20 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Who puts the team sheet in?

If it was AL then Scholes had every right to walk.

Scholes puts that in though, so he should man up and tell them to keep their nose out.

He didn't. He ran away.

Just now, mcfluff1985 said:

Scholes puts that in though, so he should man up and tell them to keep their nose out.

He didn't. He ran away.

Interfering within a couple of weeks, you really think it would have stopped cos he has a word?

1 minute ago, mcfluff1985 said:

He didn't. He ran away.

Scholes put the teamsheet in and who was selected on matchday I think was Scholes final decision.  

The point though is the constant interference by Lemsagam outside of that 90 minutes on the pitch.  

Trying to demand the captain be dropped - the one player who runs through walls for us and is the leader on the pitch amongst all the divisions - was the final nail I would suggest.

We wait for him to implode, he will but only buy making his time here hell for him.

He wants to feel like the next Messiah, he wants people to look up to him as something special.

He is not right for our club, we have different values, we are a community and family club and always will be, this means nothing to this man and his entourage.

He wants everyone at the club including us fans and Trust to bow down to him, he offers no communication other than the odd response to a media release, all he says is slowly slowly ??

I don't trust he has the right attitude, credentials and care for our club, I don't trust his true intentions anymore, I was willing to give him time but I no longer feel that way.

He needs to learn quickly that the people of Oldham and the fans are no mugs, we are honest hard working people who expect the same back, enough is enough.

He needs to be made to feel unwanted, the media are aware of him, the scholes debacle could be the best thing that has happened to us, I don't think the Scholes story is over yet and his month in charge may yet have some sort of bearing in the future.

I can't and won't tell people what to do but I won't be setting foot in BP again under his tenure, I know my measly protest means nothing to him, very little is achieved by a few individuals but he would have to change his ways if he was getting, for instance only 1000 fans through the gates. Maybe we have to stifle him and stop any money coming in. I know this has all been discussed but I can't see any other way with this guy in charge.

Hopefully the trust will have some ideas in place, we are all fans no matter if you are in the trust or not, we all have to come together to make AL see he has two options that we will accept, leave / sell or change for the good of the club !!

The below was my response, in another thread, to the BT video posted on here. However, reading some comments on here, there were clearly some other details given (e.g. the Clarke scenario) somewhere. 

"Much ado about nothing, me thinks. PS states several times that he knew what he was going into i.e. regarding facilities commensurate with a team in the basement league. The "play him" scenario just happened the once and it looks as though he jumped at the chance to go on the back of that! Surely he could simply have made a stand and said to AL - lay off, or I`m gone?

More than anything his body language did not indicate a huge and irreconcilable clash with the owner - more a sense of he realised pretty quickly he was not manager material. Very telling that he said, in the background, at one point that it was "easy to change a game as a player" (i.e. but not as a manager, in his case).

Steve McManaman was quite a laugh really - you certainly wouldn't take him seriously would you! Was great when he said something like, "well no managers going to come in at a club like that and it's win, win win is he?". Erm.............. Pete Wild did mate as soon as PS went.

Glad I`ve seen that - just re-inforces my decision never to have subscribed to shit TV like BT or Sky."

18 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

We wait for him to implode, he will but only buy making his time here hell for him.

He wants to feel like the next Messiah, he wants people to look up to him as something special.

He is not right for our club, we have different values, we are a community and family club and always will be, this means nothing to this man and his entourage.

He wants everyone at the club including us fans and Trust to bow down to him, he offers no communication other than the odd response to a media release, all he says is slowly slowly ??

I don't trust he has the right attitude, credentials and care for our club, I don't trust his true intentions anymore, I was willing to give him time but I no longer feel that way.

He needs to learn quickly that the people of Oldham and the fans are no mugs, we are honest hard working people who expect the same back, enough is enough.

He needs to be made to feel unwanted, the media are aware of him, the scholes debacle could be the best thing that has happened to us, I don't think the Scholes story is over yet and his month in charge may yet have some sort of bearing in the future.

I can't and won't tell people what to do but I won't be setting foot in BP again under his tenure, I know my measly protest means nothing to him, very little is achieved by a few individuals but he would have to change his ways if he was getting, for instance only 1000 fans through the gates. Maybe we have to stifle him and stop any money coming in. I know this has all been discussed but I can't see any other way with this guy in charge.

Hopefully the trust will have some ideas in place, we are all fans no matter if you are in the trust or not, we all have to come together to make AL see he has two options that we will accept, leave / sell or change for the good of the club !!

Change will not be an option for sure!

When Scholes took over he made it clear that if the owner interfered he would walk away. He clearly had his own view as to what classed as interference. It sounds from his interview that he tolerated some interference but when it came to team selection he stuck to his word.

Of you tell your boss that you will quit if they act in a certain way and then you fail to quit when they do that precise thing, you are on to a loser.

I don't have a great deal of respect for much that Scholes did whilst at the club but for that I have the utmost.

He’s got some balls hasn’t he, hi Paul, ( one of the most successful players in the English game) I’m Marco, I have no qualifications or experience at any level. I know the spot light is all over the club at the minute and I know you don’t want me to interfere.... but drop the club captain please for doing his job 🤦🏼‍♂️. Ps I know you’re richer than me and don’t really need the job, but fuck it ! Drop him !

For those expecting a "strong character" to take over do you honestly think that

A- We can attract a strong character to lead us.

B - That he will be a success

C - That he will put up with Lemsagams shite for any length of time.

"But Pete Wild is doing a good job with the same group of players"

Yes but for how long? do we honestly think think he can keep this up in the current climate. The summer window is fast approaching what chance do we have of keeping the likes of Edmondson, Hamer, Lang, Iverson, even Clarke? Anyone who gets an alternative offer in league football will be out of here. What makes people think we will have a stronger squad next season? I think we will be fighting relegation. In the next 6 months when we change manager again will you all be blaming him? Suppose Pete Wild fucks off will you be blaming him?

People who are pointing the finger at the likes of Scholes, The Trust, Wellens, Gerrard, Davies, Mike Keegan are merely just dancing around what is the route cause of this shit and that is the owner. Until the owner goes nothing is going to get better and everythingelse is just merely a symptom of his appalling leadership.

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

He's shown that by refusing to bow to the demands of a pair of lunatics.

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Wouldn’t you agree though that if he’d only quit in the right way he may not have been judged so harshly by some for it? 

8 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Wouldn’t you agree though that if he’d only quit in the right way he may not have been judged so harshly by some for it? 

What's the right way? Don't think it would make any difference really as some are only fixated on results and can't see beyond it.

9 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

On the contrary had we not had all this shit going on in the background and all this shit going on for the last 12 months would be people be showing any sympathy for Scholes? I wouldn't.

If things were even close to stable off the pitch and he quit after a month I would have just said fuck him hes not upto it but they aren't. No manager worth anything will want this job.

People judging a manager on seven games and writing him off on that basis is indicative of what I hate about football nowadays. Wellens had a brilliant record after a similar number of games but, with the benefit of broader data set, really doesn’t appear to be up to much. And it’s often down to fine margins - several results could, and probably should, have been more positive. 

A lot of fans seem all too eager to dismiss anything Scholes has to say but that deflects from the real reason the club continues to move backwards. He hardly went all out in that interview and was very complimentary about the players and the people around the club and was accepting of the fact that facilities are poor. Before he took the job it was clear that Scholes said he wouldn’t stick around if there was interference. To then be faced with an owner telling him to drop his captain (and arguably best player) within a month, based on word back from dressing room spies, when Scholes saw no reason to, who can blame him for walking?

Unlike Wild, Scholes isn’t relying on a Latics salary to pay the bills so doesn’t need to put up with working under such conditions.

To say he ‘bottled it’ is, to me, a cop out. 

7 minutes ago, Stevie_J said:

People judging a manager on seven games and writing him off on that basis is indicative of what I hate about football nowadays. Wellens had a brilliant record after a similar number of games but, with the benefit of broader data set, really doesn’t appear to be up to much. And it’s often down to fine margins - several results could, and probably should, have been more positive. 

A lot of fans seem all too eager to dismiss anything Scholes has to say but that deflects from the real reason the club continues to move backwards. He hardly went all out in that interview and was very complimentary about the players and the people around the club and was accepting of the fact that facilities are poor. Before he took the job it was clear that Scholes said he wouldn’t stick around if there was interference. To then be faced with an owner telling him to drop his captain (and arguably best player) within a month, based on word back from dressing room spies, when Scholes saw no reason to, who can blame him for walking?

Unlike Wild, Scholes isn’t relying on a Latics salary to pay the bills so doesn’t need to put up with working under such conditions.

To say he ‘bottled it’ is, to me, a cop out. 

Good post !!

Scholes didn't bottle it, some people think that of people who quit or walk away from jobs. I see it as having strength and the will to have your own control on things.

Scholes owed AL nothing and obviously thinks very little of him but he thinks alot of the club, most players and staff.

I've walked away from many jobs and good ones at that, I faced criticism and ridicule over the years, I don't care what anybody thinks, they were my decisions to make.

I knew Scholes would walk, AL had one chance with Scholes and blew it. He may not have been a great manager ( we won't know now )  but like Bunn had the club at heart and he would have had other ways of influencing things for next season.  Shame

16 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

For those expecting a "strong character" to take over do you honestly think that

A- We can attract a strong character to lead us.

B - That he will be a success

C - That he will put up with Lemsagams shite for any length of time.

"But Pete Wild is doing a good job with the same group of players"

Yes but for how long? do we honestly think think he can keep this up in the current climate. The summer window is fast approaching what chance do we have of keeping the likes of Edmondson Hamer Lang Iverson even Clarke? Anyone who gets an alternative offer in league football will be out of here. What makes people think we will have a stronger squad next season? I think we will be fighting relegation. In the next 6 months when we change manager again will you all be blaming him? Suppose Pete Wild fucks off will you be blaming him?

People who are pointing the finger at the likes of Scholes, The Trust, Wellens, Gerrard, Davies, Mike Keegan are merely just dancing around what is the route cause of this shit and that is the owner. Until the owner goes nothing is going to get better and everythingelse is just merely a symptom of his appalling leadership.

I agree with your sentiments, Glossop.

We could well go around and around in circles, hiring and firing/losing managers if we are not careful here. It would appear they find it difficult to work with the owner. So, in that regard, we are probably best sticking with PW for a while and see what transpires (at least he does just get on with it, with little apparent discord).

Clarkey's been great, for sure but he's not the future - old Father Time has to catch up with the fella v soon.

The massive worry is; is the owner going to go? If he's around for the foreseeable future, I genuinely think it's extremely worrying times for us. We have got a terrible reputation now (far worse than it ever was under previous regimes) and our ability to attract talent might be limited as a result.

You're right in that everything else is peripheral really - all our energy should be into trying, as best we can, to persuade the owner that "we are not for him" (i.e. doesn't have to be an outright clash because that could be disastrous if ego comes into play). That's why I`ve been boycotting and won't renew my season ticket. Unfortunately, other people (and it's their choice obviously) seem to be "returning to the fold" via attending (and maybe purchasing Season Cards). We may end up quickly dying in this division and, thereafter, disappearing into oblivion.

The only light at the moment is the prospect of, at least, the fan-led buyout of the freehold of the stadium. IF that happens, it provides a platform to build from. The future is going to be a major tactical challenge, for sure, but the owner will only take comfort from people continuing to support him with their money.

1 hour ago, Midsblue said:

Scholes put the teamsheet in and who was selected on matchday I think was Scholes final decision.  

The point though is the constant interference by Lemsagam outside of that 90 minutes on the pitch.  

Trying to demand the captain be dropped - the one player who runs through walls for us and is the leader on the pitch amongst all the divisions - was the final nail I would suggest.

Scholes will have been booed and jeered by thousands throughout his career in countless games.

You're telling me he can't handle one man saying who he should play? One man who actually has zero say in the names that go on the team sheet.

Bottled it.

On another note, AL also will hopefully bottle it.

2 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Scholes will have been booed and jeered by thousands throughout his career in countless games.

You're telling me he can't handle one man saying who he should play? One man who actually has zero say in the names that go on the team sheet.

Bottled it.

On another note, AL also will hopefully bottle it.

Agree to disagree on Scholes.  Granted a great player may not make a great manager and he knew what he was signing up to.

Scholes was more than just a manager and I see it as a massive opportunity lost especially in the summer and access to decent players.  

Lemsagam fucked it up.  This is why he’s avoiding that Trust letter.  He cannot defend the indefensible.  Sooner he goes the better - I see no future with him involved no matter what his next response is.  Only way he can redeem is to give guarantees assurances to the questions in that letter and be a silent owner for the future and stick to it.  I don’t want to hear his name or read his name unless it’s on the bottom of cheques, which don’t bounce.

Archived