A Trip Down Sheepfoot Lane

I thought I'd start a new topic because there will be a few of these.

I've just listened to the 1st. instalment and it was a good listen. I don't like to criticise, but why wasn't it longer? Roy butted in a few times when Andy was saying something interesting, he was keen to get on, because it seemed there was a time restraint. There could also have been more fans questions at the end. However, as a first attempt it wasn't bad and they were both giving their time up for us. 

Completely agree.

It easily could have been double, if not triple the length and felt like everything was brushed over.

Be good if another Pod, like UndrTheCosh (or maybe even the guys at the Chron) could get Stitch on for a longer pod.

I enjoyed it. I suppose it's more difficult to have that kind of interview than it is face to face. I take part in a Zoom get together every Thursday with friends from Men in Sheds and it can be quite difficult avoiding all speaking at once. However, I thought it was a good start and it can only get better, I'm sure. I don't understand why Natalie had to get involved, though. What does she know about Stitch's time at BP?

35 minutes ago, al_bro said:

Another good watch. We would hear many more good stories if it was longer. Why it is limited to 45 minutes I don't know. 

It'd seem a lot longer if Roy just listened a bit more instead of interrupting and asking pointless questions like who scored on Boxing Day 1975 ??

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Whatever happened to the Les Chapman one that they were supposed to have on last week?

This have the potential to be really good, but they're spoilt every single week by the interviewer (long time employee, I know) talking over the guest...

Agree. I have enjoyed them but they could have been so much better! 

Roy loves a tale and regardless of the interview angle tells his stories even if their not related haha. 

Not knocking him at all and what a servant he has been for the club but we need to evolve as a club and this is one. Some young blood to take over the mantle. 

6 hours ago, super_blue said:

Agree. I have enjoyed them but they could have been so much better! 

Roy loves a tale and regardless of the interview angle tells his stories even if their not related haha. 

Not knocking him at all and what a servant he has been for the club but we need to evolve as a club and this is one. Some young blood to take over the mantle. 

Sam would have been perfect for these had he not evolved himself 

15 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Whatever happened to the Les Chapman one that they were supposed to have on last week?

This have the potential to be really good, but they're spoilt every single week by the interviewer (long time employee, I know) talking over the guest...

I do agree with this. As much as I respect Roy I wish he would stop trying to show how pally he is with the players and just let them speak. 

The Lemmy's most likely had it removed, thinking it would take attention away from their big story of a new head coach and their 3 signings. They don't understand that few fans are interested in a new coach with a poor record. 

14 minutes ago, al_bro said:

The Lemmy's most likely had it removed, thinking it would take attention away from their big story of a new head coach and their 3 signings. They don't understand that few fans are interested in a new coach with a poor record. 

Half an hour talking to Les Chapman is hardly world shattering so it's stretching belief a bit to think it's been hooked as a peevish act.

It may be that the backroom IT staff prioritised the breaking news over the canned bit.

No doubt we'll get to see it at a later date, hopefully without Roy talking over the answers or plugging his book at every opportunity.

13 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Half an hour talking to Les Chapman is hardly world shattering so it's stretching belief a bit to think it's been hooked as a peevish act.

It may be that the backroom IT staff prioritised the breaking news over the canned bit.

No doubt we'll get to see it at a later date, hopefully without Roy talking over the answers or plugging his book at every opportunity.

No need to priorities anything, it was already their waiting to be put on the web site and would only take a minute. I'm not saying it was peevish, just giving more emphasis to their news. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2020 at 1:55 PM, LightDN123 said:

I do agree with this. As much as I respect Roy I wish he would stop trying to show how pally he is with the players and just let them speak. 

To be fair Chappy did a good interview , and turned the tables on Roy. Have to agree that the Chapman Groves combination was my favourite as a kid.

On 8/15/2020 at 12:40 PM, Ogdenwoodwhittle said:

To be fair Chappy did a good interview , and turned the tables on Roy. Have to agree that the Chapman Groves combination was my favourite as a kid.

Roy couldn't answer who his favourite players are from recent times. 

in early nov 1970 latics played away at chester.won 1-0 with a late goal from david shaw.on the monday evenin away at hartlepool.team stpooed at york for a pre match meal.woody didnt arrive on the coach at hartlepool.he had been left in the lieu at york.i was outside the entrance at hartlepool,up came the taxi with woody in .harry massey paying the driver.won 1-0.another cock up.nov 1971 ,playing at chesterfield  in fa cup.the boots hadnt been loaded.they got what they borrow from chesterfield.lost 3-0.

"I'm listening to another episode of Roy's life story and thinking what a good series this could have been if anybody else had been conducting these.

He constantly talks over the ex-players, interrupting them with a rivetting repeat of the story of how the Irish lads used to babysit for him just as they are about to reveal something of real interest.

Some prime examples today:-

Woody  -  "Jack Rowley was a nightmare of a manager..............."

Roy        -  "Yes but he got us promoted".

Roy       -  "Did you go on the pre-season trip to Rhodesia?"

Woody -  "Yes................."

Roy      -  "Yes I know I've got a photograph of you with the team here!"

If anyone had done this series and approached this without a script, prompted the interviewee with a question, listened to the answer and just see where the conversation goes it would have been so much better, especially for someone with my age and memories.

I realise he's given Trojan service over the years and apologies to anyone who thinks I'm a bit harsh but everyone should know when their time's up and gracefully retreat, having done their bit, and for me now's Roy's time.

Archived