Latics V Liverpool - FA cup giant killings

My daughter and I were in the Rochdale Road end next to the Liverpool fans.

She is too young to recall the glory days of the late 80's , early 90's.

I told her this day was as good as any of those times , the noise is the stand for the entire game was fantastic.

9 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Ive still no idea when at 3-1 up when Baxter has gone clean through on goal he chips it rather than rips it into the back of the net.

He’s had three or four shots so far but he has not quite got it right 😬

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

Thing is despite that not being in anyway a great Oldham side its miles ahead of the current squad. Only Johnny Smith gets in the starting line up ahead of Mchangama at best.

And that's the M'Changama who's recently been sold for €1m so probably safe to assume that we didn't see the best of him. 

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

Thing is despite that not being in anyway a great Oldham side its miles ahead of the current squad. Only Johnny Smith gets in the starting line up ahead of Mchangama at best.

I was looking at the lineup and wondering how many would get into our current team... Grounds, Baxter, Wesolowski and perhaps Matt Smith  but the rest of ‘em? 😀

3 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

I was thinking this myself and the fact that I knew the names of most of that squad than the current lot, and if we had them now.

wow

1 hour ago, Magic Mikey said:

Thanks Raheem. 

I can't look at this player ever without thinking of Mchangama being taken out by him and after he was such a threat down that wing and set up our first goal.

grrrr

I really enjoyed though, watching the match again,  I even forgot that it lashed it down...hahah

Re the side that played against Liverpool, I genuinely don’t think that the individual players, with one or two exceptions, were that good. It was the collective team performance that won us the game.

Look at the team that finished the game versus Fulham - far better players imho. 

Iversen

Hamer

Clarke

Edmundson

Nepomuceno 

Lyden

Missilou

Maouche

Branger

Lang

Surridge 

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

Re the side that played against Liverpool, I genuinely don’t think that the individual players, with one or two exceptions, were that good. It was the collective team performance that won us the game.

Look at the team that finished the game versus Fulham - far better players imho. 

Iversen

Hamer

Clarke

Edmundson

Nepomuceno 

Lyden

Missilou

Maouche

Branger

Lang

Surridge 

Far better? Can't see it. If you're talking form/skill at the time, for me it's 8 of the Liverpool starters and 3 of the Fulham finishers.

Iversen  v Bouzanis - Iversen

Hamer v Wabara - Wabara

Clarke v Byrne - Clarke

Edmundson v M'Voto - M'Voto

Nepomuceno v Grounds - Grounds

Lyden v Wesolowski - Wes

Missilou v M'Changama - Changy

Maouche v Baxter - Baxter

Branger v Croft - Croft

Lang v Simpson - Lang

Surridge v Smith - Smith

3 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

I was looking at the lineup and wondering how many would get into our current team... Grounds, Baxter, Wesolowski and perhaps Matt Smith  but the rest of ‘em? 😀

That team finished 12/13 19th in league 1

The current squad finished 19th in league 2.

Do you know the difference between league 1 and 2?

43 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Far better? Can't see it. If you're talking form/skill at the time, for me it's 8 of the Liverpool starters and 3 of the Fulham finishers.

Hamer v Wabara - Wabara

Clarke v Byrne - Clarke

Lyden v Wesolowski - Wes

Branger v Croft - Croft

Lang v Simpson - Lang

Surridge v Smith - Smith

Edmundson better than M’Voto

Surridge better than Smith

Missilou better than M’Changama

Plus Iversen, Clarke and Lang makes six of the eleven better players in my opinion. Each to his own I suppose. 😎

30 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Edmundson better than M’Voto

Surridge better than Smith

Missilou better than M’Changama

Plus Iversen, Clarke and Lang makes six of the eleven better players in my opinion. Each to his own I suppose. 😎

Edmundson better than M’Voto - think hindsight may be playing a part here. Eddie played pretty much every game in a season where we finished 14th in L2. He was ok that season and definitely improved, but would he have been an established player at a L1 level, I'm not sure - that one was close anyway

Surridge better than Smith - Smith was unplayable for the second half of that season, in L1 and against the cup opponents. Surridge had had a good first half of the season against L2 clubs. Again close, but I'd take Smith

Missilou better than M’Changama - never. Not even close.

2 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

Hamer v Wabara - Wabara

Clarke v Byrne - Clarke

Lyden v Wesolowski - Wes

Branger v Croft - Croft

Lang v Simpson - Lang

Surridge v Smith - Smith

This apart from Edmundson instead of M'Voto (although liked the big lad) and Surridge instead of Smith..... 

Correct me if I am wrong but hadn't Matt Smith failed to score at Boundary Park up to this game , and we were 17th and no wins in ten ........

We were 10/1 with the bookies ......I fully expected them to only start one of the 'S trio' that had terrorised the Premier League , Sterling , Suarez and Sturridge......amazed they all started.

I felt Jose , our best player by a mile that season, did not handle playing his hometown team .......if he had we might have scored 4 or 5.

Archived