Jack Parker signs

We've signed someone who was playing for a Manchester Amateur League side (presumably as very much one for the future). Not even the biggest team in Chorlton. I'd be worried if anyone knew anything about him.

14 minutes ago, jsslatic said:

We've signed someone who was playing for a Manchester Amateur League side (presumably as very much one for the future). Not even the biggest team in Chorlton. I'd be worried if anyone knew anything about him.

I read it as Chorley!

7 hours ago, dazzman07 said:

My son played grassroots football with him a few years ago and from what i remember he was full of tricks and scored a few worldies .. not sure after that

Another Dan Gardner?

16 minutes ago, Wardie said:

I am happy to see the club speculating on a potential from non-league.

I remember from many years ago a player from Manchester amatuer football who didn't turn out too bad for us....Mike Milligan.

12 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

There’s no right answer to that question. For every Fitz Hall there’s been a Wes Wilkinson. Non-league signings can turn out brilliantly but I reckon the hit rate is no no better than league signings or loans.

Swings and roundabouts, but we've had more poor loanees than good ones it seems.

51 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

There’s no right answer to that question. For every Fitz Hall there’s been a Wes Wilkinson. Non-league signings can turn out brilliantly but I reckon the hit rate is no no better than league signings or loans.

But the risk level is surely very low? How much is Parker on? A bag of chips and a weekly bus pass? He'll be on the lowest possible wage. 

Best non-league signing? Fitz? For me, Mark Ward (yes, i know blah, blah). Signed from Mossley, went on to play for West Ham and City. Crack-ing player. Fitz and Ward might be the exception, but they don't cost a lot.

34 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Swings and roundabouts, but we've had more poor loanees than good ones it seems.

In terms of quantity, yes that’s absolutely fair. In terms of quality the best loans have been streets ahead. 

5 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

But the risk level is surely very low? How much is Parker on? A bag of chips and a weekly bus pass? He'll be on the lowest possible wage. 

Best non-league signing? Fitz? For me, Mark Ward (yes, i know blah, blah). Signed from Mossley, went on to play for West Ham and City. Crack-ing player. Fitz and Ward might be the exception, but they don't cost a lot.

At some levels, yeah. But I don’t think the rate of absolute gems is that high and the cost isn’t always that cheap. People used to use George Boyd going from then non-league Stevenage to Peterborough as the shining example, but he cost £260,000 thirteen years ago. If I could be arsed I’d list every non-league signing in the last 5/10 years and see how many had impressed, and I bet the proportion wouldn’t be high.

Anyway, I don’t mean to sound like a complete grouch on this. I like that we’re giving lower league talent a try. I prefer it to the import/export business that seems even more hit-and-hope. There are decent players out there. I just don’t think it’s a magic bullet. 

For me the best seasons I can remember had a mix of homegrown youngsters, top club cast-offs, foreign punts and lucky loans. I think we need that mix now. 

2 hours ago, Crusoe said:

Think we hit very lucky getting Fitz and Wayne Andrews that same season. Bob Dowie had a great eye for new talent. 

6 hours ago, adamoafc said:

Think we hit very lucky getting Fitz and Wayne Andrews that same season. Bob Dowie had a great eye for new talent. 

The last sentence is the crux to all this. Who at the club is doing the talent spotting now. There are gems to be unearthed, hopefully Parker is one of those. 

On 8/16/2020 at 6:27 PM, Chaddyexile84 said:

According to Chorlton - anyone know anything about him? 

18199E26-E1E6-410E-8AB4-77002A0072AD.jpeg

Good luck young man and welcome to Oldham, we really do need talented players with a 

great attitude and I’m sure we all hope you do indeed smash it 🤜

Archived