Prediction League 2020/21

Stevie_J

Here’s where to submit your predictions - Home - OWTB Prediction League

——

So, I suppose it's prediction league time again...

For anyone who's played before, it's pretty much the same format as last season - the number of players will dictate how many divisions there are.  A couple of points to mention: (i) no attendance points until fans are allowed to attend games again (or for any future matches where fans are not allowed); (ii) @oafcmetty's new input system, which I'll leave to him and @Bristolaticto explain. 

Entry is £5 for the season, to be paid via PayPal to stevie_j@owtb.co.uk (note the underscore - may be best to copy and paste the address and please leave your OWTB username in the PayPal message box) or PM me for account details for BACS transfer.  Entry fees must be paid by kick-off of the first game of the season, if you want to enter a division based on your final position last season - otherwise, you'll enter the bottom tier.

Entry fees will be split between OWTB’s running costs and opinions4u’s chosen charity, the Roy Castle Lung Cancer Foundation, in his memory.  There will be no prizes this season. 

No one will be entered until they have paid - I'm not chasing people for the money like last season.

The winner's of each division from last season win free entry for this season.  The divisional winners and cup winners win free entry next season.

The league will be split into divisions (based on last season's league positions and relegations/promotions), and the exact set up will depend on the number of players who sign up, with places determined based on the following (in order of priority):

•     position in last season's league;
  •     new players, on a first come, first served basis.

At end of this season there will be promotions, relegations and playoffs, as per the past couple of seasons (the exact set up of which I'll confirm when we know the number of entrants) - likely three go down, two go up automatically and one through the playoffs.

A list of signed-up players will be posted in this forum.

All of Latics' league games (but not cup games) will count in the Prediction League competition.

The League
I'll confirm the exact format as soon as possible after we know how many players we have. 

The Playoffs
The playoffs will work as follows:
Players will be matched with the teams finishing in the same position as them in League Two. For example, if Harrogate finish fourth in League Two and Salford finish seventh, then the players finishing third and sixth in the Prediction League Championship, League One, League Two will playoff against each other over two legs by predicting the outcome of the Harrogate v Salford playoff semi-final fixtures. The same will apply to fifth and sixth League Two teams, which will correspond to the four and fifth Prediction League players.

The winning players will then play off in a final, by predicting the outcome of the League Two playoff final, the winner of which will be promoted.  Predictions for all playoff fixtures are for the 90 mins, not extra time or penalties.

In the event that Latics make the playoffs, ALL players in the playoff positions will predict Latics' playoff semi-final games and not the other semi final. The final will be based on predictions for the playoff final, regardless of whether Latics make the final.

For all playoff games involving Latics, first scorer prediction will be Latics first scorer (same as regular predictions). Where predicting on games not involving Latics, first scorer predictions will be for the first scorer of the game, regardless of the team.

In the event of a draw in the final, the winner will be determined by the closest attendance prediction, then by total points scored in the playoffs, then by previous attendance predictions if still level.

The Cup
The prediction league will include a cup competition, starting around the turn of the year. The exact format of the cup will be confirmed, once we have established the number of players, but the competition will start with a group stage, followed by a knockout stage, through to a final. Players will be drawn against each other and their scores for a particular fixture will dictate which player wins. In the event of a draw in the knockout games, there will be a replay. In the event of another draw, the predictor with the closest attendance prediction in the replay will progress. In the very unlikely event that they remain tied, we will draw lots.

Predictions
Players must predict the half-time score; the full-time score; first Latics goalscorer and the match attendance (once attendances are a thing again).
e.g. Salford 0-1 Latics (HT 0-0) - Rowe - 3,331

For the avoidance of doubt, players cannot predict Latics to score in their result prediction and 'no scorer' in their scorer prediction for the same fixture. Similarly, players cannot predict that Latics will not score and name a first scorer. Nor can players predict a half-time score which does not align with the full time score (e.g. Latics to be 1-0 up at half-time and Latics to lose 1-0). Each full prediction should be a possible outcome of the match. Any predictions submitted which are contrary to this rule will not be counted.

Scoring
Scoring works as follows:
  • Correct result (i.e. W,L or D) +2pts
  • Correct no. of goals for Latics +1pt;
  • Correct no. of goals for opposition +1pt;
  • Correct full-time score +2pts;
  • Correct half-time score +2pts;
  • First scorer +3pts;
  • Within 100 of attendance +3pts;
  • Within 10 of attendance +5pts;
  • Exact attendance +20pts;

No 'first goalscorer' points will be awarded if there is no goalscorer (even if you predict no goalscorer).  If the first Latics goal is awarded as an own goal, the first Latics goalscorer prediction will rollover to the next Latics goal in the game (if Latics score another goal).

If you believe that there has been an error in scoring up predictions, please PM Bristolatic and/or me, rather than posting on the forums where it may be missed, and we will look into it.

Please sign up, if you have a spare fiver. The more players we have, the better the competition is and it helps OWTB’s running costs and opinions4u's chosen charity.

Any problems/questions, give me a shout here, by PM or email. Cheers.

Massive thanks as always to @Bristolatic for the hard graft he puts into this and @oafcmetty for coming up with the far more intelligent prediction submission and league table system.

:chubb:

Edit with a couple of points to add:

Predictions must be submitted at least 10 mins before the stated kick-off time.

A partial, incomplete prediction (e.g. missing HT score) will blank your whole prediction in the system and so will void the entire prediction, so please input carefully!

Right, folks, this is how the new system works. It's all online now, so there are no individual threads for each match.

All the new season's fixtures are showing on the Prediction page and numbered 1 through 46. Make sure that you enter the correct match number to correspond with the fixture for which you want to predict. You can predict any number of matches at a time, but can change your predictions later in the season. The match number will not change in the event of a postponement

Here's the link that will take you to the Prediction page: Prediction League

1. You will see that there is a box for you to enter your user name - make sure your user name appears exactly is it does on OWTB; capitals, hyphens, underscores etc need to be correct or the system probably won't recognise you and will think you haven't predicted . You do not use the @ in front of your username.
  2. There is a box for a PIN number. No one, apart from me and @oafcmetty will see this, but it will highlight for me/us any edits you make to your prediction. Using the same PIN number shows that it is you that has posted an edit etc. Your choice of PIN number is up to you. If I/we notice that you are using a PIN number that someone else is using, I/we will PM you and ask you to change it. Please use the same PIN number for every match throughout the season
  3. Please ensure that you give the correct players' names in your predictions, SURNAMES ONLY. Whereas in previous seasons, I have entered all your predictions into the spreadsheet myself from OWTB, this system will do that automatically. That means that if a player's name is incorrect and I don't spot it to alter it, it won't get picked up and would cost you points. Examples from last season were Azankpo, where we had predictions for Desire and Segbe as well, plus Piergianni where we had predictions for Pidge. I really don't want to be trawling through every prediction to correct players' names
  4. Make sure you have your full time and half time predictions the right way round. There are drop down boxes for your predicted scores and @oafcmetty has set them so the HT fields come first
  5. Enter 'x' for 'No Scorer'
  6. At the moment, because games are behind closed doors, there isn't a field for attendance but, once Boundary Park is bursting at the seams again :lol: , it will be added
  7. If you want to change your prediction in any way, simply go back into the system and enter a new full prediction. I/we will see that the original prediction will  not count. In previous seasons, where someone predicted twice, we only accepted the first prediction. This has changed. Because an edit requires a full new prediction, it cannot be separated from an accidental second post, so the latest prediction will count in all cases
  8. The system automatically reproduces the time stamp, so make sure you predict at least 10 minutes before kick off for every game for it to count
  9. A reminder that you must pay £5 to enter (see @Stevie_J's introduction above) before kick-off on Saturday, 12th September. Please do not make any predictions until you have paid 

I think that's it. If there's anything you are not sure of, or you think I've missed anything, drop me a PM and I'll get back to you.

I'm in.  And utterly thrilled not to have to predict attendances for the time being.

Owtb was set up in paypal already but it wouldn't let me see the details.  So if it's not gone through let me know.

Archived