Jayzus, we've got a match tomoro..

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

Got a problem with the journalist there, I reckon.

Given there was no fans in the ground, I'm not sure who the people were who "raised a few eyebrows..".

Many fans will have watched on ifollow I suspect and reacted on social media after. 

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Hamer, Jameson, Piergianni, Garrity, Grant: non-league standard, and that's where they'll take us.

18 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Not sure why you have put Piergianni in there? 🤔 I thought that he played well again tonight.

Oh hello... Piergianni in the Team of the Week?  😉

Maybury said that the way they play (pressing) is too much for some of them at the moment, hence the changes. Rowe ran around a lot and did what the manager wanted on Saturday, but he doesn't need to do that. Let him play his own game, and he can play every game. I didn't see a lot of pressing last night, just the usual passing the ball to he opposition. Dearnley's goal was class. The way he dragged it round and completely beat the defender, then had time to pick his spot.

9 minutes ago, al_bro said:

Maybury said that the way they play (pressing) is too much for some of them at the moment, hence the changes. Rowe ran around a lot and did what the manager wanted on Saturday, but he doesn't need to do that. Let him play his own game, and he can play every game. I didn't see a lot of pressing last night, just the usual passing the ball to he opposition. Dearnley's goal was class. The way he dragged it round and completely beat the defender, then had time to pick his spot.

Can only wonder why the coaches want to play in a style that is to much for the players in their squad. 

14 hours ago, al_bro said:

Maybury said that the way they play (pressing) is too much for some of them at the moment...

13 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Can only wonder why the coaches want to play in a style that is to much for the players in their squad. 

For me, the key words in Maybury’s comments quoted by @al_bro above are: ‘at the moment’ - which suggests to me that a pressing game is the way the coaching staff want to play but that some of the players are not yet fit enough to be playing this style twice a week.

The tactics employed in football will change as new approaches are used by coaches and found to bring a competitive advantage. These new styles of play are then adopted, as we have seen, throughout the league structure. Playing out from the back is a good example - not many teams were playing this way a couple of seasons back but football evolves.

However, as you rightly question @Dave_Og, sometimes players are not suited to playing a specific style of play. And the aforementioned ‘playing out from the back’ is simply not the way to go for some more limited defenders. That’s when a tactic should be discontinued. 

Fitness however can can be improved and maybe that’s why coaches persist with a pressing game. 

46 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

For me, the key words in Maybury’s comments quoted by @al_bro above are: ‘at the moment’ - which suggests to me that a pressing game is the way the coaching staff want to play but that some of the players are not yet fit enough to be playing this style twice a week.

The tactics employed in football will change as new approaches are used by coaches and found to bring a competitive advantage. These new styles of play are then adopted, as we have seen, throughout the league structure. Playing out from the back is a good example - not many teams were playing this way a couple of seasons back but football evolves.

However, as you rightly question @Dave_Og, sometimes players are not suited to playing a specific style of play. And the aforementioned ‘playing out from the back’ is simply not the way to go for some more limited defenders. That’s when a tactic should be discontinued. 

Fitness however can can be improved and maybe that’s why coaches persist with a pressing game. 

City have spent millions on a keeper and defenders who can play out from the back. Our lot can barely string a pass together, playing out from the back is just inviting pressure we cant deal with.

10 minutes ago, latics22 said:

City have spent millions on a keeper and defenders who can play out from the back. Our lot can barely string a pass together, playing out from the back is just inviting pressure we cant deal with.

So let’s kick it 70 yards to them , cut out 4 of our players from the game , negate any chance of creating anything ourselves, hope for a lucky knock on .......we kick off at 3.00 on a Saturday afternoon not 10.30 on a Sunday morning.

It's a simple game made complicated by coaches wanting players to do things they aren't capable of. In 1966 had Alf Ramsy tried to make his players pass the ball around like Brazilains we wouldn"t have won World Cup. 

Chuck the trendy coaching manuals in the nearest canal and get back to playing to the strengths of the players you have.

Bahamboula is an example, he's an off the cuff player who runs  centrally directly at defenders, don't  shove him wide and starve him of the ball as we saw against Carlisle, yes he will lose the ball occasionally, but if players are covering to pick up the pieces that's the way to go.

Similarly, feed the ball to Rowe, Dearnley and McAleny around the penalty area not wide, the all good finishers so play to their strengths.

This team isn't capable of keep ball so go direct and forget the sideways backwards passing of the Premier league.

I await the response of purists now who will tell me Latics must follow the latest elite club coaching trends as its successful for them.

4 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

It's a simple game made complicated by coaches wanting players to do things they aren't capable of. In 1966 had Alf Ramsy tried to make his players pass the ball around like Brazilains we wouldn"t have won World Cup. 

Chuck the trendy coaching manuals in the nearest canal and get back to playing to the strengths of the players you have.

Bahamboula is an example, he's an off the cuff player who runs  centrally directly at defenders, don't  shove him wide and starve him of the ball as we saw against Carlisle, yes he will lose the ball occasionally, but if players are covering to pick up the pieces that's the way to go.

Similarly, feed the ball to Rowe, Dearnley and McAleny around the penalty area not wide, the all good finishers so play to their strengths.

This team isn't capable of keep ball so go direct and forget 

“ feed the ball to Rowe Dearnley and McAleny”......how exactly is a team “ who aren’t capable of keep ball“  and who should “ go direct “ going to do that? .....I remember the dinosaurs of 1966 mocking trendy wingless wonders tactics.....

20 minutes ago, Behind Closed Doors said:

So let’s kick it 70 yards to them , cut out 4 of our players from the game , negate any chance of creating anything ourselves, hope for a lucky knock on .......we kick off at 3.00 on a Saturday afternoon not 10.30 on a Sunday morning.

Direct football isn't long ball kick and rush, didn't Big Joe carve a successful team out of team who didn't pass sideways and backwards?

No one wants us to play hoofball, but we do have a lot of direct runners the squad so make full use them.

15 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

This team isn't capable of keep ball so go direct and forget the sideways backwards passing of the Premier league.

I await the response of purists now who will tell me Latics must follow the latest elite club coaching trends as its successful for them.

'Go direct' lose the header to a defender and lose possession??? We are already doing that.

Just keep the ball away from Pidge, everybody else can pass the ball like normal players.

Just now, Behind Closed Doors said:

“ feed the ball to Rowe Dearnley and McAleny”......how exactly is a team “ who aren’t capable of keep ball“  and who should “ go direct “ going to do that? .....I remember the dinosaurs of 1966 mocking trendy wingless wonders 

It's a myth fans mocked the wingless wonders, I was a young dinosaur back then and was glad Ramsey played to the strengths of the players at his disposal, if he'd had wingers like the Brazilians you can bet he'd have played them, but he hadn't so adapted accordingly.

I say again  play in a style which suits the players and not alien to them.

The game has changed massively and 3 significant reasons are

the quality of the playing surfaces....meaning you can pass with confidence anywhere on the field 

the removal of the back pass to the keeper....meaning you can press high up the field without the other team having an easy out

a dead ball kick does not have to leave the penalty and the opposition cannot enter it until the ball is played .....where else on the pitch can you guarantee one of your players having the ball with 12 yards of space.

games evolve, ...not so long ago a cricketer getting out reverse sweeping would find himself patrolling the third man boundary in a second team game at Castleton Moor.....it is now a go to shot

12 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

It's a myth fans mocked the wingless wonders, I was a young dinosaur back then and was glad Ramsey played to the strengths of the players at his disposal, if he'd had wingers like the Brazilians you can bet he'd have played them, but he hadn't so adapted accordingly.

I say again  play in a style which suits the players and not alien to them.

I don’t think passing and moving should be alien to players whose job it is to be full time footballers ...and in particularly the likes of Dearnly Whelan McAleny Jamboti CBJ Bahamboula who were brought up in elite academies will have done little else

Now Pidge is a different matter though

I don’t understand why we can’t just have a front three of McAleny Rowe and Dearnley. Rather than pissing around with Dunn, Blackwood and Grant. 

Get them there up top, french lad behind them. Whelan and Leeds lad/Garrity/ Ntambwe. Then anyone other than Hamer in the back 4. Good to go. 

I

3 minutes ago, Behind Closed Doors said:

The game has changed massively and 3 significant reasons are

the quality of the playing surfaces....meaning you can pass with confidence anywhere on the field 

the removal of the back pass to the keeper....meaning you can press high up the field without the other team having an easy out

a dead ball kick does not have to leave the penalty and the opposition cannot enter it until the ball is played .....where else on the pitch can you guarantee one of your players having the ball with 12 yards of space.

games evolve, ...not so long ago a cricketer getting out reverse sweeping would find himself patrolling the third man boundary in a second team game at Castleton Moor.....it is now a go to shot

I don't see the superior quality of the current BP surface improving the passing of our players, I've seen better distribution on the dust bowls and mud heaps we had before. 

Archived