Jayzus, we've got a match tomoro..

3 minutes ago, Behind Closed Doors said:

I don’t think passing and moving should be alien to players whose job it is to be full time footballers ...and in particularly the likes of Dearnly Whelan McAleny Jamboti CBJ Bahamboula who were brought up in elite academies will have done little else

Now Pidge is a different matter though

Pidge is an example of a player in this division who does the effective job expected of him, he can't play like John Stones so why ask him to do so?

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McAlmont and Whelan are both good players capable of playing much higher than this division, but you can see it's been drilled into them by coaches to always think first of playing safe backwards and sideways. I would give them more licence to run forward with the ball  to supply the attackers as long as other players cover for them in case a move breaks down. 

17 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Pidge is an example of a player in this division who does the effective job expected of him, he can't play like John Stones so why ask him to do so?

I don't think we are asking him to. He can have a man directly in his vision completely open and he just ignores him and launches it, it must be proper frustrating to play with bc it drives me mad as a spectator.

For balance, he's put some absolutely fantastic challenges in this season tho and generally does well in his one on one defending. 

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

2 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

I don't think we are asking him to. He can have a man directly in his vision completely open and he just ignores him and launches it, it must be proper frustrating to play with bc it drives me mad as a spectator.

For balance, he's put some absolutely fantastic challenges in this season tho and generally does well in his one on one defending. 

There are some who have the perception that Piergianni just lumps the ball aimlessly forwards, giving the ball away every time which just puts us under more pressure at the back.

The Latics’ players passing statistics from the Carlisle game show that Piergianni successfully completed 22 of his 32 passes (68.8%).

Could his distribution improve? Of course it could - but that goes for most footballer irrespective of which league they play in. 

If Kewell/Maybury/ALMO (*) play Clarke alongside him at the back with Whelan and McAlmont in the middle then I would expect to see that distribution improve further.

* delete as applicable.

Agree with above post to a point.

Piergianni's distribution is not great but playing alongside Clarke ( who presumably can pass the ball accurately ) should see him able to give the 20 yard sideways passes and let the young lad do the business.

Let's face it if the alternative's giving it short to one of our current back four then lumping it 50 yards doesn't seem such a bad option. 

5 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Clarke alongside Wheater would be a great CB partnership. The experienced head alongside a promising youngster which is a successful method. 

I don't think Clarke will learn much from Pidge, except , if under pressure get rid. If he was to play alongside Peter Clark or Wheater, he would learn a great deal.

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

You think a predominately non league player will be able to teach a player who already has first team experience at the highest level? 

So he’s gained experience playing at the highest level - now all that’s missing is experience of League 2?

😂

He was sent here to learn by hopefully playing regularly and I’m certain that he will look to our captain, among others, for help and guidance. 

9 hours ago, BP1960 said:

McAlmont and Whelan are both good players capable of playing much higher than this division,

6 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

play Clarke alongside him at the back with Whelan and McAlmont in the middle then I would expect to see that distribution improve

Can i just ask, where has this perception that Whelan is, or has the potential to be, a good player come from? I’ve watched every league game this season and apart from the Bolton first half, he’s lost every battle he’s been involved in and shown no quality at all.

I keep seeing comments on here which allude to him being first choice, so genuinely interested to know what people have seen so far in him and tell me what his strengths are. 

Garrity, who is often criticised - and rightly so, has performed better in there than him from what I’ve seen. 

7 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

There are some who have the perception that Piergianni just lumps the ball aimlessly forwards, giving the ball away every time which just puts us under more pressure at the back.

The Latics’ players passing statistics from the Carlisle game show that Piergianni successfully completed 22 of his 32 passes (68.8%).

Could his distribution improve? Of course it could - but that goes for most footballer irrespective of which league they play in. 

If Kewell/Maybury/ALMO (*) play Clarke alongside him at the back with Whelan and McAlmont in the middle then I would expect to see that distribution improve further.

* delete as applicable.

42 minutes ago, Clubfootkilkenny said:

Can i just ask, where has this perception that Whelan is, or has the potential to be, a good player come from? I’ve watched every league game this season and apart from the Bolton first half, he’s lost every battle he’s been involved in and shown no quality at all.

I keep seeing comments on here which allude to him being first choice, so genuinely interested to know what people have seen so far in him and tell me what his strengths are. 

Garrity, who is often criticised - and rightly so, has performed better in there than him from what I’ve seen. 

You are littrually the only person who regularly comments that makes any sense Whelan is light wieght, hea Winchester in disguise no ability.

1 hour ago, Clubfootkilkenny said:

Are you sure you actually watched the games? ‘
Lost every battle’? ‘Shown no quality at all’? 

Those are rather sweeping statements and, in my opinion, way off the mark. 

Let’s give him time to develop eh? 

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

So he’s gained experience playing at the highest level - now all that’s missing is experience of League 2?

😂

He was sent here to learn by hopefully playing regularly and I’m certain that he will look to our captain, among others, for help and guidance. 

You’re changing the goalposts. 

He’s here for more football, yes. But not to learn off a non league player. He might teach him human qualities, but you or I could do that. I highly doubt he can teach him anything technical tactical or positionally. 

If, as AL Bro said we were talking about Peter Clarke or Wheater that’s a different story. Would pidge learn off a semi pro? No. 

It’s all about levels. 

4 minutes ago, League one forever said:

He’s here for more football, yes. But not to learn off a non league player. He might teach him human qualities, but you or I could do that. I highly doubt he can teach him anything technical tactical or positionally. 

If, as AL Bro said we were talking about Peter Clarke or Wheater that’s a different story. Would pidge learn off a semi pro? No. 

It’s all about levels. 

As I said earlier 😂

3 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

As I said earlier 😂

I’ve noticed you like to pontificate, and then when challenged for debate you tend to reply with non sensical emojis or the classic ‘nah’ which is always insightful. 

I’ll tell you what is funny- the amount of offers Maouche had. You’ve a great eye for a player. . 

9 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I’ve noticed you like to pontificate, and then when challenged for debate you tend to reply with non sensical emojis or the classic ‘nah’ which is always insightful. 

I’ll tell you what is funny- the amount of offers Maouche had. You’ve a great eye for a player. . 

😂

12 hours ago, League one forever said:

It’s all about levels. 

To put things into perspective and correct me if I am wrong, but Pidge is a League Division 4 Player.

Archived