MATCH: Scunny (h)

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Behind Closed Doors said:

If you want  Van Veen and Rowe to play the same role in the same team it is no different to saying you want  2 right backs 2 left wingers or 2 keepers

BP’s right...think you have!

39 minutes ago, Behind Closed Doors said:

I agree to a point but we have shipped 23 goals in 12 league goals....if we have to score 3 every week Messi and Ronaldo might struggle let alone MacAleny and Dearnley

To be successful you need a  competent spine of keeper Centre half Centre midfielder and centre forward ...we are deficient in at least 2 of those and occasionally 3 

Of course. That’s what successful sides are built on. For us it’s a fantasy because that costs money that AL isn’t willing to pay.

Is this side good enough to finish top half - No. For the reasons you point out. 

Could/should it be better organised so we don’t concede an average of two a game, and see us mid table- yes. 

10 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

BP’s right...think you have!

He is saying Rowe and Van Veen are of the same mould and would not make for an efficient partnership as they would both play the same role. I think Rowe and Dearnley would do it for the Latics, if played together on a consistent basis. Something which Kewell finds impossible to do.

5 minutes ago, Wardie said:

He is saying Rowe and Van Veen are of the same mould and would not make for an efficient partnership as they would both play the same role. I think Rowe and Dearnley would do it for the Latics, if played together on a consistent basis. Something which Kewell finds impossible to do.

What he’s also saying is that he doesn’t really rate Rowe. He says it every week in one way or another!!

I agree with you though. If Rowe and Dearnley played every week I think they would both flourish. At the back end of last season they were forming a good partnership. They seem to complement each other. 

1 minute ago, Gary1906 said:

What he’s also saying is that he doesn’t really rate Rowe. He says it every week in one way or another!!

I agree with you though. If Rowe and Dearnley played every week I think they would both flourish. At the back end of last season they were forming a good partnership. They seem to complement each other. 

I agree.
Maybe we should bombard Kewell's email with a 'Play Rowe/Dearnley' message. 

1 minute ago, Gary1906 said:

what I am saying is  who would you prefer  in your team Van Veen or Rowe  . ....nobody has answered

7 minutes ago, Behind Closed Doors said:

what I am saying is  who would you prefer  in your team Van Veen or Rowe  . ....nobody has answered

6 months age difference, Rowe the  oldest.
Roughly 10 years game time each.

Van Veen - 110 - career goals
Rowe - 195 career goals

Give me Rowe any time,

1 minute ago, Wardie said:

6 months age difference, Rowe the  oldest.
Roughly 10 years game time each.

Van Veen - 110 - career goals
Rowe - 195 career goals

Give me Rowe any time,

What level though? Don't get me wrong, I'm a Rowe fan, but he's far from proven at league level, which I suspect VV is.

1 minute ago, oafcmetty said:

What level though? Don't get me wrong, I'm a Rowe fan, but he's far from proven at league level, which I suspect VV is.

According to Wiki, Van Veen's highest season tally [20] was in 2013/14 for dutch side JVC Cuijk, currently a fourth tier club. Rowe's highest was 155 in six/seven seasons for AFC Fylde [22/25].

7 hours ago, Wardie said:

Play the player, maintain the fitness.
It's all Kewell's fault.

It’s not as simple as that. Ask a physio. Ask the sports scientists and rehab therapists who have attended university courses and made careers out of this subject.

Actually this type of season makes it really hard to rehab niggling injuries. If there is an injury resulting in a weakness in a specific muscle group, how do you get time to load that muscle group and recover from that loading when the next match is 3 or four days away. (After a rest day leaving only 2 or 3)

I think to be fair to HK team selection, his job has been made difficult by players being unavailable for a variety of reason. Initially there were several eg Bahamboula, Blackwood, Rowe, who were clearly not fit enough to play twice a week. ( That situation seems to be improving). Also several players have been unavailable due to COVID. There have been players with niggling injuries, available then not available. And finally the issue we all suspect, that ALMO have their own agenda of who needs game time to be in the shop window and who MUST NOT be played because they want them to leave.

9 hours ago, Gary1906 said:

And yet he has played Rowe for the full 90 minutes in the last three games 🤔

Unfortunately for all concerned Rowe had a poor game yesterday albeit with very little support from his strike partners or midfield.

3 hours ago, Pidge said:

Actually this type of season makes it really hard to rehab niggling injuries. If there is an injury resulting in a weakness in a specific muscle group, how do you get time to load that muscle group and recover from that loading when the next match is 3 or four days away. (After a rest day leaving only 2 or 3)

I think to be fair to HK team selection, his job has been made difficult by players being unavailable for a variety of reason. Initially there were several eg Bahamboula, Blackwood, Rowe, who were clearly not fit enough to play twice a week. ( That situation seems to be improving). Also several players have been unavailable due to COVID. There have been players with niggling injuries, available then not available. And finally the issue we all suspect, that ALMO have their own agenda of who needs game time to be in the shop window and who MUST NOT be played because they want them to leave.

Good points, and exactly why ALMOBO, and not the manager of the day, are the crucial problem.

11 hours ago, Wardie said:

According to Wiki, Van Veen's highest season tally [20] was in 2013/14 for dutch side JVC Cuijk, currently a fourth tier club. Rowe's highest was 155 in six/seven seasons for AFC Fylde [22/25].

But we are not playing in the Dutch league or the National League....that is the point

Archived