Foundation Oldham - a strategy

1 hour ago, underdog said:

Dear all

Tonight Foundation (Trust) Oldham published our strategy on how we can ensure a professional football team in the borough of Oldham

We will be discuss this with PTB at next weeks re-scheduled meeting. 

A strategy for football in the borough of Oldham

Cheers

How long has this taken to produce? No offence but pretty much pointless. Insert Alan Partridge shrugging gif...

1 hour ago, mcfluff1985 said:

How long has this taken to produce? No offence but pretty much pointless. Insert Alan Partridge shrugging gif...

No offence. . but 😂

You do know but negates anything you say before it. 

What do you suggest? Or what are you doing to help the club move forward?  Other than to criticise people who at the very least are spending large amounts of their spare time trying to affect positive change. 

I don’t have the time or inclination to contribute, but I wouldn’t dream of calling other peoples effort ‘pointless’ while offering absolutely nothing myself. 

10 hours ago, underdog said:

Dear all

Tonight Foundation (Trust) Oldham published our strategy on how we can ensure a professional football team in the borough of Oldham

We will be discuss this with PTB at next weeks re-scheduled meeting. 

A strategy for football in the borough of Oldham

Cheers

8 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

It’s only ‘pretty much pointless’ if it proves to be hollow words with no substance behind it. Time will tell but at least give it a chance huh?

L = Longevity – Ensure continuation of League football in Oldham

A = Academy – Support growth of our home-grown talent

T = Town – Build strong links with Council and Community

I = Investment – Build contingency funds

C = Club – Engage with Club as shareholder

S = Supporters – Represent all aspects of the fanbase

Not bad.

This is the most progressive comms to come out of Trust since its inception IMO. No Trust board or leader of the Trust has outlined a mission statement or strategy with as much clarity, thought and thoroughness before.

We can nitpick if we want - for instance, I think the Trust should stay way from manager Q&A's, leave that to others - or we can take it at its word and judge 'Foundation Oldham' on it's behaviour - especially around fan representation on the board, Paul Hughes has to build confidence he's not in it just for himself, like some of his predecessors - from this point. This is a chance to reset and build confidence again. Hell, we desperately need an effective supporters Trust.

If Foundation Oldham can find a complimentary working relationship with Push the Boundary and become regular contributors to @BPASthen as a collective we stand a better chance of effecting meaningful and lasting change for our club in the future, just like we've heard on the podcast from other clubs, such as Stockport, Leyton Orient, Portsmouth and Brentford.

Time to come together.

1 hour ago, lookersstandandy said:

This is the most progressive comms to come out of Trust since its inception IMO. No Trust board or leader of the Trust has outlined a mission statement or strategy with as much clarity, thought and thoroughness before.

We can nitpick if we want - for instance, I think the Trust should stay way from manager Q&A's, leave that to others - or we can take it at its word and judge 'Foundation Oldham' on it's behaviour - especially around fan representation on the board, Paul Hughes has to build confidence he's not in it just for himself, like some of his predecessors - from this point. This is a chance to reset and build confidence again. Hell, we desperately need an effective supporters Trust.

If Foundation Oldham can find a complimentary working relationship with Push the Boundary and become regular contributors to @BPASthen as a collective we stand a better chance of effecting meaningful and lasting change for our club in the future, just like we've heard on the podcast from other clubs, such as Stockport, Leyton Orient, Portsmouth and Brentford.

Time to come together.

Likewise I thought it reads well and a really good foundation document

Only observations I have are:

• high risk of spreading yourselves too thin even with the initial 21 workstreams listed
  • many of the 'supporter engagement' initiatives could be undertaken by existing 'supporter groups'

Big "if" this but if a collective agreement can be reached regarding allocating the suggested 21 workstreams between the current leading 'supporter voices' such as Trust Oldham, Push the Boundary and one or two of the Podcasts, this could be a significant positive step

Might involve a bit of 'perceived territory' being allocated to others but there cant be anyone who doesn't want the best for our club

Some hard work put in there, well Done.

Just one query,

Recruitment Attract appropriate professional talent to respond swiftly.

Does this mean you will be paying them for their services?

5 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Some hard work put in there, well Done.

Just one query,

Recruitment Attract appropriate professional talent to respond swiftly.

Does this mean you will be paying them for their services?

If we can find the skillset within the fanbase. Then no.  (An idea from lookerstandandy - cheers)

We have a blue and white volunteer page on our website and we have a few volunteers step up already and we thank them. One being a HR generalist.

From funding research I have done says allocate 10% of what you raise to sourcing of key roles of we have to.

We have had 2 quotes to help with marketing/website/comms already.

Cheers

Edit: Typing hurriedly on way home, but we have other volunteers too and everyone of them is an asset. Lottery, ACV and playershare, more are reaching out and we will bite your hands off. If you have a couple of hours spare, please consider giving us a hand  - thanks

13 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

It’s only ‘pretty much pointless’ if it proves to be hollow words with no substance behind it. Time will tell but at least give it a chance huh?

L = Longevity – Ensure continuation of League football in Oldham

A = Academy – Support growth of our home-grown talent

T = Town – Build strong links with Council and Community

I = Investment – Build contingency funds

C = Club – Engage with Club as shareholder

S = Supporters – Represent all aspects of the fanbase

Not bad.

I hurt my brain coming up with that haha

But it's a way for the foundation team to remember it easier 

7 hours ago, tGWB said:

• high risk of spreading yourselves too thin even with the initial 21 workstreams listed
  • many of the 'supporter engagement' initiatives could be undertaken by existing 'supporter groups'

Big "if" this but if a collective agreement can be reached regarding allocating the suggested 21 workstreams between the current leading 'supporter voices' such as Trust Oldham, Push the Boundary and one or two of the Podcasts, this could be a significant positive step

Might involve a bit of 'perceived territory' being allocated to others but there cant be anyone who doesn't want the best for our club

Agree. Very good point. It's time for us to collectively step up to the plate. If we all can do a little bit, it will move things forward a lot.

12 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

Time to come together.

it had to be done, we may have the turning circle of HMS Titanic, but we have to be best ready as we can be....its going to take lots of effort and skillset on this journey together

10 hours ago, tGWB said:

one ticked off is the MOU, others we are chipping at, PTB meeting next week to see if there is any synergy with their working groups at all and council want to meet us again soon

TBH, I am getting a bit knackered with it all and it as getting at me all the negative stuff up to last week especially twitter as it can be really toxic. You can read it an d think wow....why the chuff do I bother?....beside the hubby saying you on that damn laptop again...hehe

Additionally, there are only so many hours to give after working fulltime, cooking some burnt offering for the ball n'chain, shoving the vac around and getting the dog to take me for a walk..hahah

But the strategy is now out there, we have just got to pull the threads together now

Its in our hands

16 hours ago, underdog said:

But the strategy is now out there, we have just got to pull the threads together now

Its in our hands

Not having a go at all just an observation

You don't appear to have a 'protest escalation' plan should the Club Owner and Board decide not to keep up their side of the MOU or even worse, don't give access to the financials or go on a run of not paying player and staff wages etc

A long standing criticism with many fans is the the Trust doesn't ever seem to bare its teeth

Its right to draw a line in the sand and look to improve communications with the club in the hope that we see much needed improvement, but recent history tells us not build our expectations

'When things go wrong' which for me they inevitably will, the Trust, Push the Boundary and the Podcasts need to have an pre agreed 'protest plan' that can be quickly escalated and not be caught on our back foot

I would suggest letting the Club Owner and Board know in advance, which hopefully could make them think twice before messing up.

Supporters would be primed as well rather than spending weeks deciding what we're going to do, resulting in not much, the Mansfield game being a classic example

1 hour ago, tGWB said:

Not having a go at all just an observation

You don't appear to have a 'protest escalation' plan should the Club Owner and Board decide not to keep up their side of the MOU or even worse, don't give access to the financials or go on a run of not paying player and staff wages etc

A long standing criticism with many fans is the the Trust doesn't ever seem to bare its teeth

Its right to draw a line in the sand and look to improve communications with the club in the hope that we see much needed improvement, but recent history tells us not build our expectations

'When things go wrong' which for me they inevitably will, the Trust, Push the Boundary and the Podcasts need to have an pre agreed 'protest plan' that can be quickly escalated and not be caught on our back foot

I would suggest letting the Club Owner and Board know in advance, which hopefully could make them think twice before messing up.

Supporters would be primed as well rather than spending weeks deciding what we're going to do, resulting in not much, the Mansfield game being a classic example

This is where PTB come in- they’re independent- can say what they want and have the pulse of the fans. 

You can’t ask the trust to build a modicum of confidence with the board/owners but then say to them - as soon as you don’t do what we ask we’re protesting. We’ve been down that road numerous times, and it just leads to more division. Egomaniac owners don’t get told what to do by little 3% shareholders. 

The trust should be a guardian with a higher purpose than protest. Let the PTB ‘show their teeth’ 

55 minutes ago, League one forever said:

This is where PTB come in- they’re independent- can say what they want and have the pulse of the fans. 

You can’t ask the trust to build a modicum of confidence with the board/owners but then say to them - as soon as you don’t do what we ask we’re protesting. We’ve been down that road numerous times, and it just leads to more division. Egomaniac owners don’t get told what to do by little 3% shareholders. 

The trust should be a guardian with a higher purpose than protest. Let the PTB ‘show their teeth’ 

So for example if the Club fail to pay the players and staff wages for two months in a row, you think the Trust should have a word with PtB to arrange some form of protest but carry on themselves with business as usual 🤷‍♂️

Just not going to work that is it 

1 hour ago, tGWB said:

So for example if the Club fail to pay the players and staff wages for two months in a row, you think the Trust should have a word with PtB to arrange some form of protest but carry on themselves with business as usual 🤷‍♂️

Just not going to work that is it 

So in that example, (which would mean admin was looming or on us) you want the trust to March down sheepfoot lane? To achieve what?? You want the limited resources of a few knowledgable volunteers focused on a protest that will have no material affect on safeguarding our future?? 

Great plan. . 

34 minutes ago, League one forever said:

So in that example, (which would mean admin was looming or on us) you want the trust to March down sheepfoot lane? To achieve what?? You want the limited resources of a few knowledgable volunteers focused on a protest that will have no material affect on safeguarding our future?? 

Great plan. . 

Oh for goodness sake 🤦‍♂️

54 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Great plan. . 

Lets keep it easy to use purely as an example

• Club Board meetings have been held for 3 months without the Trust representative being given access 
  • the Trust have been refused access to see the financials for 3 months
  • communication with the CEO has dried up
  • players and staff wages have not been paid for two months

In your opinion, what should the Trust do ?

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Great plan. . 

I think tGWB was suggesting there should be an escalation plan. There would have to be discussion about what the escalation should be, you have suggested what wouldn’t be appropriate, but a plan of some sort seems a good idea.

1 minute ago, Pidge said:

I think tGWB was suggesting there should be an escalation plan. There would have to be discussion about what the escalation should be, you have suggested what wouldn’t be appropriate, but a plan of some sort seems a good idea.

Exactly 

24 minutes ago, tGWB said:

Lets keep it easy to use purely as an example

• Club Board meetings have been held for 3 months without the Trust representative being given access 
  • the Trust have been refused access to see the financials for 3 months
  • communication with the CEO has dried up
  • players and staff wages have not been paid for two months

In your opinion, what should the Trust do ?

In that example though, the horse has already bolted so to speak. No amount of protest or pressure by a minority shareholder will change in r affect their position. But to try and answer your question I would go outside of the club. Liaise with the football league, get themselves in a position to talk to any new owner. Basically try to do everything they could outside of the tent. 

32 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Ah ok, well yes of course. They can’t and won’t sit on their hands. I just don’t agree that their remit is to protest, there are other ways to escalate and shine light on the issue. 

Archived