BPAS PODCAST: 24th May '21 Episode 36: The One After The Barry Owen Episode

Matt & Andy discuss the reaction to last week's interview with Barry Owen, including a couple of clips that didn't make the cut last Monday. They chat about what they hope to achieve with the podcast over the summer, as well as discussing some of the things they've seen on Twitter.

Please help us do the work we do by visiting www.oafcpodcast.co.uk, subscribing and looking in our online shop. We'll be adding more products in the coming weeks and months and would be grateful if you purchased the odd one or two to show your support!

Follow the show on Twitter, Instagram & Facebook @oafcpodcast.

You can find out more about Push The Boundary by visiting them at www.pushtheboundary.co.uk and following on Twitter @PTB_OAFC

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.

• BPAS changed the title to BPAS PODCAST: 24th May '21 Episode 36: The One After The Barry Owen Episode

Another great episode. Thank you very much for the mention of the Lottery.
The First draw is on Sunday! 14:00, enter by 13:00.

https://play.clubforce.com/play_newa.asp?ll_id=2889#Anchor

We have to start somewhere, and a number of other initiatives will follow to boost the Contingency Fund. We urge as many people as possible to join.

@Oasf1895Lotto on twitter

Thanks again.

I wish we could commonly refer to 'the North stand' as 'the Joe Royle stand'.  I'd have thought it would even give a subconscious emotional, behavioural push to getting the damn thing open again, as well as being accurate.

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

I wish we could commonly refer to 'the North stand' as 'the Joe Royle stand'.  I'd have thought it would even give a subconscious emotional, behavioural push to getting the damn thing open again, as well as being accurate.

I suspect folk would be more likely to if it wasn't such a bone of contention. Our subconscious doesn't want to sully the great man's reputation by associating it at this moment in time.

Some supplementary listening/reading in relation to today's episode.

PTB Notes from Blitz Q&A, Jan 2020. https://pushtheboundary.co.uk/blitz-q-a

Guardian article by David Conn, Feb 2020 https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/feb/10/oldham-league-two-trouble-rent-north-stand?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

All thing Latics podcast interview with Simon Blitz, Jan 2020.

Craig Davies' tweet

@Laticsbiffo tweet

2 minutes ago, Luis Enrique said:

Another great listen fellas. 
Really glad to hear you're sticking with it over the summer.

If I couldn't start every week silently wailing at the state of OAFC I genuinely dunno what I would do 😉

Thank you. It was your post on here (from last week) we were referring to on this week's episode too.

19 minutes ago, BPAS said:

Some supplementary listening/reading in relation to today's episode.

PTB Notes from Blitz Q&A, Jan 2020. https://pushtheboundary.co.uk/blitz-q-a

Guardian article by David Conn, Feb 2020 https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/feb/10/oldham-league-two-trouble-rent-north-stand?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

All thing Latics podcast interview with Simon Blitz, Jan 2020.

Craig Davies' tweet

@Laticsbiffo tweet

Who is Kenny Agustien?

21 minutes ago, BPAS said:

Where are you seeing that?

k45cFC5l_normal.jpg

Replying to
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂Im in tears. Bro the time I went to train there. I was killing it every session he came in and said. You’re not ready so I’m bringing a player over. Bro when that player traint a was like wowww. The worst player I ever saw on the pitch

Just now, Dave_Og said:

k45cFC5l_normal.jpg

Replying to
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂Im in tears. Bro the time I went to train there. I was killing it every session he came in and said. You’re not ready so I’m bringing a player over. Bro when that player traint a was like wowww. The worst player I ever saw on the pitch

Germaine Hesus "Kemy" Agustien (born 20 August 1986) is a Curaçaoan professional footballer who plays as a central midfielder for Mickleover Sports. He previously played for Willem II, AZ Alkmaar, Roda JC and RKC Waalwijk, for Birmingham City, Crystal Palace, Swansea City and Brighton & Hove Albion in English football, for Danish club Vendsyssel FF, for Scottish club Hamilton Academical.

Mate of Nepomuceno?

8 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Love the pod. But please never suggest that Barry Owen can offer us something going forward. He’s behind us thankfully, don’t give the man any ideas. 
Barry, hope you are reading this, please don’t get involved again. 

In a front of house role we'd agree with you.... but all we're saying is, he undoubtedly has experience & contacts that could be of use to us all in our bid to encourage Abdallah and Blitz to move on. Putting aside our differences and working for the greater good of the club means exactly that. That's part of reason we took the time to interview him. Whatever you think of Barry, he raised some valid points that are worth following up on.

1 hour ago, BPAS said:

In a front of house role we'd agree with you.... but all we're saying is, he undoubtedly has experience & contacts that could be of use to us all in our bid to encourage Abdallah and Blitz to move on. Putting aside our differences and working for the greater good of the club means exactly that. That's part of reason we took the time to interview him. Whatever you think of Barry, he raised some valid points that are worth following up on.

A bit naive there Matt if you think Barry will be just be available for advice when we need it- Without wanting the power trade off his ‘knowledge’ comes with. The man is desperate to get back in, and I don’t want him or his mentality around any positive vision moving forward. 

19 minutes ago, League one forever said:

A bit naive there Matt if you think Barry will be just be available for advice when we need it- Without wanting the power trade off his ‘knowledge’ comes with. The man is desperate to get back in, and I don’t want him or his mentality around any positive vision moving forward. 

Not for me either, I think Barry has been part of the problem, and in no way offers anything by way of solution to any of the club's ills. 

Truly dreadful to think of his being part of any group that may try and seek to put Latics on a better footing  

2 hours ago, BPAS said:

I take your points on board.

But, by having Barry involved in any capacity, you are not moving forward. You will also cause a division in the fan base, when we should be coming together. I am sure I’m not alone in the fact that if Barry Owen was involved I would not back any fan led initiative with his input. 
He’s had his time, time for him to let it go, feel free to watch the games but don’t try and influence the future of our club in any capacity. 

58 minutes ago, League one forever said:

37 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

Not for me either, I think Barry has been part of the problem, and in no way offers anything by way of solution to any of the club's ills. 

Truly dreadful to think of his being part of any group that may try and seek to put Latics on a better footing  

30 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I take your points on board.

But, by having Barry involved in any capacity, you are not moving forward. You will also cause a division in the fan base, when we should be coming together. I am sure I’m not alone in the fact that if Barry Owen was involved I would not back any fan led initiative with his input. 
He’s had his time, time for him to let it go, feel free to watch the games but don’t try and influence the future of our club in any capacity. 

All very valid opinions. All we're saying is..... the likes of the Foundation and PTB shouldn't be afraid to speak to Barry in our opinion..... he may provide some insight that could prove useful. That's all.

1 minute ago, BPAS said:

All very valid opinions. All we're saying is..... the likes of the Foundation and PTB shouldn't be afraid to speak to Barry in our opinion..... he may provide some insight that could prove useful. That's all.

Speak to him maybe, involve him - not for me but maybe Foundation or PTB to decide?   

21 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

Speak to him maybe, involve him - not for me but maybe Foundation or PTB to decide?   

Agree with this. If it was to ever happen, it would have to be put past the fans first to see what the repercussions of such decision would have.  

21 minutes ago, BPAS said:

You’re in a very tricky position Matt. No one of any authority will come on the pod if there just going to get pelters, like them or not their giving their time up. Therefore it’s incumbent on you to bring a balance where you can and a degree of professionalism. I totally understand that. 

But he offers absolutely nothing, and the optics of him being involved again on any level it’s completely counter productive at a time when we’re looking for unity not division.

As DN123 said it would suck the optimism out of any revival and ultimately leave one thinking same old same old. 

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

You’re in a very tricky position Matt. No one of any authority will come on the pod if there just going to get pelters, like them or not their giving their time up. Therefore it’s incumbent on you to bring a balance where you can and a degree of professionalism. I totally understand that. 

But he offers absolutely nothing, and the optics of him being involved again on any level it’s completely counter productive at a time when we’re looking for unity not division.

As DN123 said it would suck the optimism out of any revival and ultimately leave one thinking same old same old. 

We're not finding it tricky..... being balanced, whilst also taking a position on a topic. We're openly supporting PTB's stance on wanting the owner's out. Yet, we'd still treat Abdallah or Mohamed with respect - anybody, Barry included deserves that much - if we got the opportunity to interview them.

We don't want Barry 'involved' any more than you do, but speaking to him and listening to what he has to say can be both revealing and confirming in the same breath. Until the club is under a new owner, ideally one owner of both land and club, why ignore Barry if he can be of help (because of what/who he knows) in moving on those who have cast such a dark shadow over this club for at least 10 years. That's all we're saying. In short, don't cut your nose off to spite your face.

• Matt featured this topic
30 minutes ago, BPAS said:

We're not finding it tricky..... being balanced, whilst also taking a position on a topic. We're openly supporting PTB's stance on wanting the owner's out. Yet, we'd still treat Abdallah or Mohamed with respect - anybody, Barry included deserves that much - if we got the opportunity to interview them.

We don't want Barry 'involved' any more than you do, but speaking to him and listening to what he has to say can be both revealing and confirming in the same breath. Until the club is under a new owner, ideally one owner of both land and club, why ignore Barry if he can be of help (because of what/who he knows) in moving on those who have cast such a dark shadow over this club for at least 10 years. That's all we're saying. In short, don't cut your nose off to spite your face.

Barry himself has had an active involvement of casting a dark shadow over the club for the last 10 years. He was part of the problem. The last 10 years has showed us, we are no better with Barry being involved, no matter who or what he knows.  

Archived