You are Oldham Athletic Manager what do you do?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Fage?

Whoever it is should be stood on the halfway line with a forward when we are defending corners

Keeper to clear the ball sharpish up to our two on the halfway line 

On 11/1/2021 at 2:34 PM, BP1960 said:

Mcgahey actually showed a bit of pace on one occasion against Swindon. 

During Sam Harts stint on the ifollow commentry team he said Mcgahey was one of the quickest at the club. He reminds me of a turbo charged Dick Mulvaney.

14 hours ago, penrhyn said:

During Sam Harts stint on the ifollow commentry team he said Mcgahey was one of the quickest at the club. He reminds me of a turbo charged Dick Mulvaney.

I heard that comment and chuckled to myself,there must be some seriously slow players on the  payroll.

I would compare Mcgahey more to Gregan in terms of physique and pace but alas, without the ability or swagger.

On 11/3/2021 at 11:02 AM, archiecat said:

I heard that comment and chuckled to myself,there must be some seriously slow players on the  payroll.

I would compare Mcgahey more to Gregan in terms of physique and pace but alas, without the ability or swagger.

He can move when he gets steam up. 

On 10/31/2021 at 11:15 AM, GlossopLatic said:

Right here's the Scenario you are helicoptered in as Oldham Athletic Manager tomorrow morning you need to pick the players up of the back of 3-1 home defeat and you have to prepare this team for a tough FA cup game on Saturday at Ipswich. You have the same group of players to pick from:

I want to know the following?

- What team are you selecting first 11 plus subs

- What formation are you playing.

- What instructions are you giving the team.

- How are you going to pick them up from the defeat on Saturday.

- What you working on in training this week.

Don't just say "play 2 upfront" Which 2 are you playing? No point saying play 4-4-2 tell me who plays where and how. You only have the same players at your disposal that Keith Curle has so don't say "we need a striker" which ones you picking.

I want to see if anyone can come up with some creative solutions to the problems our manager is currently facing.

I've not even factored in the fact you will be having to deal with the useless sporting director and the useless owner.

Go!

Lineup & Subs

Leutweiler

Clarke

McGahey

Piergianni

Couto

Whelan

Bowden

Bahamboula

Vaughan

Keillor-Dunn

Hope

Subs:

Southerington

Fage

Diarra

Luamba

Edwards

Modi

Atkinson (youth)

Formation

Mine would be 4-2-3-1 resorting to 4-5-1 off the ball

Instructions:

Defensively stay tight and compact. Effectively defend your box at all costs. If the ball comes into the box, it goes straight back out. Organised when out of possession.

In possession, get the ball to the flair players notably the 3 behind the striker. If have to go long, fine, but make the opposition defence turn and try to get possession of the ball further up.

Sadly, pretty much our only option is to stick Hope up front. If we have to go to Hope, get it to feet and get the 3 of Bahamboula, Vaughan and Keillor-Dunn around him.

Best way to win the game, sadly again, is through set-pieces. Get the opportunity, Couto long throw. Play for free-kicks and corners and hope Piergianni gets on the end of one.

*Not the way I would like to play or set my team up that I coach to play, far from it but only way I could think of playing, especially against League One Ipswich Town in the hope it would be effective*

How to pick the team up from defeat:

Have a positive atmosphere in the camp making training serious but enjoyable to try and rebuild the atmosphere and morale in the camp.

Give the talk of all pressure is off this weekend. The league campaign isn’t going as we planned it to but we have a welcome distraction at weekend going into a one off cup game.

Tell the players that I believe in them and encourage them that there is a performance in there, we just need to believe in ourselves that we can produce a performance.

What am I working on in training?

Training would include a lot of shape work to ensure we’re not overloaded numerically or leave players in an isolated 1v1 defensively.

I would work a lot on set-pieces given that I believe that is the best way to create chances in the short term.

I would do a lot of possession drills to ensure we work on getting the ball to the flair players.

Summary

Would it work? Probably not but there’s my idea from all of the questions. Whether that way is the way I would play football ordinarily? Absolutely not but in the short term with this limited bunch, that’s what I would do!

3 hours ago, unsworthlatic said:

Lineup & Subs

Leutweiler

Clarke

McGahey

Piergianni

Couto

Whelan

Bowden

Bahamboula

Vaughan

Keillor-Dunn

Hope

Subs:

Southerington

Fage

Diarra

Luamba

Edwards

Modi

Atkinson (youth)

Formation

Mine would be 4-2-3-1 resorting to 4-5-1 off the ball

Instructions:

Defensively stay tight and compact. Effectively defend your box at all costs. If the ball comes into the box, it goes straight back out. Organised when out of possession.

In possession, get the ball to the flair players notably the 3 behind the striker. If have to go long, fine, but make the opposition defence turn and try to get possession of the ball further up.

Sadly, pretty much our only option is to stick Hope up front. If we have to go to Hope, get it to feet and get the 3 of Bahamboula, Vaughan and Keillor-Dunn around him.

Best way to win the game, sadly again, is through set-pieces. Get the opportunity, Couto long throw. Play for free-kicks and corners and hope Piergianni gets on the end of one.

*Not the way I would like to play or set my team up that I coach to play, far from it but only way I could think of playing, especially against League One Ipswich Town in the hope it would be effective*

How to pick the team up from defeat:

Have a positive atmosphere in the camp making training serious but enjoyable to try and rebuild the atmosphere and morale in the camp.

Give the talk of all pressure is off this weekend. The league campaign isn’t going as we planned it to but we have a welcome distraction at weekend going into a one off cup game.

Tell the players that I believe in them and encourage them that there is a performance in there, we just need to believe in ourselves that we can produce a performance.

What am I working on in training?

Training would include a lot of shape work to ensure we’re not overloaded numerically or leave players in an isolated 1v1 defensively.

I would work a lot on set-pieces given that I believe that is the best way to create chances in the short term.

I would do a lot of possession drills to ensure we work on getting the ball to the flair players.

Summary

Would it work? Probably not but there’s my idea from all of the questions. Whether that way is the way I would play football ordinarily? Absolutely not but in the short term with this limited bunch, that’s what I would do!

Oldham 0- 1 any opposition. 😉

Mike Bassett/Graham Turnip eat your heart out...

Players: the ten fastest on the books with the keeper wearing oversized comical gloves.

Formation:

First half: 3-0-7

Play long diagonal balls to either corner flag, with the two fastest on either side chasing the ball. The other 5 players move to the box waiting for the cross. As soon as the ball is played, the three defenders push up to the half way line and play for offside.

Second half: 10-0-0 defending the one goal lead with all 11 players on the goal line.

Training:

1, Bin ball.

Place two bins two yards in from each corner flag, kick the ball from the back and aim for the hole.

2, Running very fast.

Run into position before the ball pitches.

The ball to the corners must be kicked very high to allow the carthorses to get into position.

Motivation after defeat: N/A

There may be flaws.

Archived