You are Oldham Athletic Manager what do you do?

With the understanding that with current resources it is an almost impossible task, here goes.

The goalkeeper and back four are the only remotely reasonable part of the team, so we can start with Leutweiler, Clarke, Couto, McGahey and Piergianni.

Then the hard work starts.

Whelan is by far the best of a bad job in midfield. Would pair him in the centre with Fage, who is at least quick on his feet and can run around and attempt to tackle. Those two can try and compete in front of the back four. 

For the rest you need to try to play to their strengths. In each of the games that I have seen a player as been sacrificed by playing as a target man. Yesterday it was Bahamboula in the first half. When we did without one in the second half it got marginally better.

So it would be Hope on one side of midfield and Bahamboula the other. Defenders would be told that the out ball should be over Hope's full back, as, for all his faults, he is quite strong and can chase. Try to get the ball to Bahamboula's feet with him facing the opposition's goal.

Two places left. DKD is pretty hopeless other than shooting. He seems quite good at this. See if we can play him in around the opposition box. I wouldn't want him to stand around with the centre halves. Leave them underemployed and see what they do. Fourth division defenders are pretty used to marking people and heading the ball. With less to do, they may well wander and lose discipline.

The other pick, if allowed under the embargo, would be Vaughan in a free role in front of the two midfielders. If not, the probably Bentache.

Our set pieces are quite decent. I would encourage forward players to try to hold the ball in their half if nothing is one to try to draw a foul. This allows the centre halves to get forward. As it stands, I would back Piergianni to be leading scorer this season.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, mick26 said:

Surprised he's not made the bench yet as he looks a good prospect and goalscorers mean money!

Curle said he always gives youth a chance, except in the very position he needs it.

He obviously feels no one is better than Hope.

Simms finish from 4:40 mins in..

Short answer @GlossopLatic is gamble.

If Harry Kewell had adapted his approach at home, to achieve some semblance of defensive formation (which we now have), I can see how we would still be flirting with mid table mediocrity, not a grim slide to non league.

KC has fathomed a system whereby we score far fewer goals, concede less, but the points per game trend is relegation.

Scoring goals is the aim, I fully concede that KC is without the main source of goals provided to HK (Conor and Alfie).

With the squad unchanged, we appear to have a pick of 14 fit senior players then youth team talent.

In an effort to change the results, I would gamble with the limited goal threat. Give Dylan Bahamboula a free role, in midfield not leading the line. Protection would be Raphael, under strict instruction not to lamp the opponents.

Surely Dylan Fage causes problems and forces mistakes, many point out how 4th division defenders are riven with mistakes, well put them under pressure then.

Also need to use Harry Vaughan, he hurts teams with dribbling and great passing.

We dont do this often, but when we start with quick passing and movement, the chances come, plus early goals affect teams, certainly seemed to snuff out Stevenage.

To that end, use the subs, all of them, to account for tired legs after 60 minutes.

Really missing Sam Hart, the defense picks itself when he's fit, then keep Benny in midfield, or juggle them both in the side.

If Nicky Adams can rediscover the form he showed early on, would also be a second half boost.

Ultimately the formula is score more than them, accepting we will concede and sometimes be flattened by an in form top side.

I see removing the constraint of EFL embargo as the first objective obviously, as in my heart and head, the squad is not good enough to overcome the challenges facing us this season.

Gamble we must, everyone is losing belief, evident in some of the performances yesterday.

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Curle said he always gives youth a chance, except in the very position he needs it.

BP please put the video up for Carlisle 6 Latics 0 where Hope was involved in 4 of the goals.

Has to play in a 3 with what we have available.

Leutwiler

Fage McGahey Pidge Couto (Hart when fit)

Diarra
         Whelan         Bettache

Bam            Dearnley     Vaughan

From what I can remember when Fage and Bahamboula last linked up (against Tranmere) they caused them all sorts of problems and we actually looked competent going forward. There may be an argument for Hope to start over Vaughan here because little Harry could fall over to a strong gust of wind, he never gets a FK either. Dearnley is there purely because 1v1 he can finish, we've all seen it. 

For the midfield I've gone with something similar to what we saw at Dale. Diarra doing the nasty bits (think this is where Cissé comes in when fit), Whelan going box to box and then Bettache gives you that bit of quality (when he can be arsed) looks like he needs a firecracker lit under his arse to get going but there is a footballer in there.

Defence like many have said picks itself. I'm unconvinced if Couto will be a LB in future years he was all at sea against Carlisle and looked to struggle against Swindon too. He's got a great left peg on him though, maybe he could be used further up when Hart is back?

Of the current casualties to come back in, I'd probably put Hopcutt up front because, why not... and Cisse in for Diarra.

This league is shit, so, so, so shit and anyone can beat anyone. Our lads just don't look up for the fight so I think any managerial change would be looking at getting the group motivated again to play for each other. The experienced lads at the back need to start piping up and guiding the young guns in midfield. 

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Not the time to give a young lad his debut as our main striker in my view.

Give him a few 20 mins from the bench first, if he's good enough and let's see how he does.

I watch a lot of Allied Under 18s football in Surrey, particularly in the Fa Youth cup, and the difference between that and even step 7 none league first team football is big.

Unless you are exceptional...and strong it can do more harm than good to a 16/17 year olds confidence.

Maybe try him against Peter Clarke in the tin pot trophy for 30 mins next week. That would givevusba clue if he will be prolific!

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

How old is he 17,18? Asking alot for someone to lead the line on his own as you are suggesting what's his scoring record like? I'm sure the lad and plenty of the other youngster's have potential to be first team players but throwing them into a struggling team is asking too much I feel.

No issue with 352 that's not causing us problems

Leutweiller

Clarke Pidge McGahey

Fage Bahamboula Diarra Whelan Cuotto

DKD Hope

Diarra needs to do the defensive work, covering across the back line, whelan can help if needed and Baha can do what he wants.

Get the ball out wide with fast, direct passes, keep Hope and DKD in the box and whip balls in.

The whole team needs to press not just the front 2. Pointless having 4 defenders knock it round while front two get tired out. Put teams under pressure and they make mistakes. It's league 2

28 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

How old is he 17,18? Asking alot for someone to lead the line on his own as you are suggesting what's his scoring record like? I'm sure the lad and plenty of the other youngster's have potential to be first team players but throwing them into a struggling team is asking too much I feel.

He's in because Hope has had enough chances, maybe one chance will fall to a recognised striker like Simms and he will put it away.

Stick with Hope and carry on regardless if you think he's the answer.

9 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

- What team are you selecting first 11 plus subs

Start with the team that beat Rochdale.

Subs - QPR fella to come on for Bam when he inevitably struggles, a keeper, Luamba, Youth team players from the other night.

- What formation are you playing.

4-4-2

- What instructions are you giving the team.

Soak up the pressure.  Get it to Hart to hold-up and lay-off to Bam or DKD.

- How are you going to pick them up from the defeat on Saturday.

Take them out and get them hammered.

- What you working on in training this week.

Individual player celebrations after they score..

21 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Has Diarria ever been sent off? People talk as he’s vinny Jones! Ps where is the new 3 year plan? 2 hours left, someone tweet Simon Jordan!

The 3 year plan will be the same as the last one.

It's been a great  success in keeping us out of non league.😁

28 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Has Diarria ever been sent off? People talk as he’s vinny Jones! Ps where is the new 3 year plan? 2 hours left, someone tweet Simon Jordan!

People say he's shit. They'd rather watch Bowden shitting out of tackles and passing backwards for 90 mins than see someone get stuck in and play for the shirt 

4 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

People say he's shit. They'd rather watch Bowden shitting out of tackles and passing backwards for 90 mins than see someone get stuck in and play for the shirt 

Raphael let himself down with daft tackles and a short fuse early on, which indicated he was a liability.

Since the earlier games, his temperament improved noticeably, plus his passion is appreciated, I watch the lad and believe he cares.

Credit to him and the coaching staff.

We are asking Raphael to do the hard work in midfield, be a stopper, simple short passing, I've seen him do it to good effect.

This is a scrap, I expect Jamie Bowden will have a good career at much higher level, he doesn't look remotely happy to be here, possibly even damaged by the experience.

It frustrates me when comments are written about players who may not be gifted or better than good 4th division standard, but in my opinion are honest and committed.

Case in point, Davis has a wobbly first touch, but cares a lot, he is in my team.

36 minutes ago, Fervid said:

Let’s be brutally honest here the two guys on loan look completely lost out there. At this moment in time we need battlers and these two aren’t in that bracket. 

A couple of strikers for me please - along the lines of Surridge, Lang, Smith would do nicely 👍

16 hours ago, Mayfield said:

To that end, use the subs, all of them, to account for tired legs after 60 minutes.

Clocks ticking so we should forget about trying to noticeably improve player skills 

Training should be totally concentrated on quick wins like working on dead-ball situations and fitness

Drop the playing out from the back stuff and go direct with 2 upfront

Work on Goalie kicks, dead balls, throw ins, corner kicks and free kicks with a steady improvement in our squad fitness levels

As Mayfield said, play all our bench every game to keep the pace going for the whole 90+ minutes

Might not be pretty but neither is League 2 football but all our supporters will appreciate an obvious improvement in players putting a full shift in and getting the ball into the oppositions penalty box should get the goal tally up 

15 minutes ago, tGWB said:

Clocks ticking so we should forget about trying to noticeably improve player skills 

Training should be totally concentrated on quick wins like working on dead-ball situations and fitness

Work on Goalie kicks, dead balls, throw ins, corner kicks and free kicks with a steady improvement in our squad fitness levels

As Mayfield said, play all our bench every game to keep the pace going for the whole 90+ minutes

Might not be pretty but neither is League 2 football but all our supporters will appreciate an obvious improvement in players putting a full shift in and getting the ball into the oppositions penalty box should get the goal tall up 

Something we haven't really done this season, however you need to get bodies in the box to succeed which we also haven't achieved so far.

We don't seem to hit speculative early balls into the box or cross low and hard hoping for defensive errors, and as for shooting the ball over the bar you're never going to get a lucky deflection doing that !!!

14 minutes ago, tGWB said:

Might not be pretty but neither is League 2 football but all our supporters will appreciate an obvious improvement in players putting a full shift in and getting the ball into the oppositions penalty box should get the goal tally up 

Which 2 are you going to be putting long balls upto then?

11 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Something we haven't really done this season, however you need to get bodies in the box to succeed which we also haven't achieved so far.

We don't seem to hit speculative early balls into the box or cross low and hard hoping for defensive errors, and as for shooting the ball over the bar you're never going to get a lucky deflection doing that !!!

Maybe why we have only scored 11 league goals this season

44 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Which 2 are you going to be putting long balls upto then?

Well Glossop, I am working on the theory that all our squad players can at least kick a ball

Obviously I wouldn't expect our midfield to suddenly become 'box to box' players but would expect more energy from them in games over a few weeks so I am not suggesting the increase in balls being played into the oppositions penalty box would be exclusive to the likes of Hope and Kellor-Dunn

Another 'must' is having two attacking players on the halfway line when we're defending a corner and our keeper instructed to get the ball into their half sharpish

One of the plus points in playing direct football is that the opposition have to change their usual style of play to counter it

8 minutes ago, tGWB said:

Well Glossop, I am working on the theory that all our squad players can at least kick a ball

Obviously I wouldn't expect our midfield to suddenly become 'box to box' players but would expect more energy from them in games over a few weeks so I am not suggesting the increase in balls being played into the oppositions penalty box would be exclusive to the likes of Hope and Kellor-Dunn

Another 'must' is having two attacking players on the halfway line when we're defending a corner and our keeper instructed to get the ball into their half sharpish

One of the plus points in playing direct football is that the opposition have to change their usual style of play to counter it

See the problem I have here is that people say we should play 2 upfront and shouldn't play the ball out from the back and go long is who you are going long too.

If we are going long too Hope Dearnley and keillor Dunn then I'm struggling to see how that is going to be effective against league 2 defenders the vast majority stand at over 6'1 and usually want to head it. If you have Matt Smith in your squad then by all means go long but with our current strike force most centre backs will goble that up all day and the ball will just keep coming back at us. Our forwards will have a far better chance if its played on the deck.

20 minutes ago, tGWB said:

Piergianni and Mcgahey up front, that will rough up the opposition centre backs.

No need to bother about centre backs when they are both plundering goals.😉

51 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

See the problem I have here is that people say we should play 2 upfront and shouldn't play the ball out from the back and go long is who you are going long too.

If we are going long too Hope Dearnley and keillor Dunn then I'm struggling to see how that is going to be effective against league 2 defenders the vast majority stand at over 6'1 and usually want to head it. If you have Matt Smith in your squad then by all means go long but with our current strike force most centre backs will goble that up all day and the ball will just keep coming back at us. Our forwards will have a far better chance if its played on the deck.

Cant disagree with that but surely we can instruct the players to vary the ball going forward, not everyone has to be head height, its more about every player taking an attacking approach

48 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Piergianni and Mcgahey up front, that will rough up the opposition centre backs.

No need to bother about centre backs when they are both plundering goals.😉

Both up for corners 

Do you know who our quickest player is ?

Archived