BPAS PODCAST SEASON 2: 7th Mar '22 Episode 74: Meet Chris Lees

On 3/7/2022 at 6:38 AM, League one forever said:

Debate it if you want, but if the last 20 years tell us anything it’s that scrutinising and analysing has no material effect on whether an owner buys or sells the club. This deal-  like always, will be between a few people whose money it concerns and very little will in public domain. 

What will be will be. 

When have we ever really put a potential owner under the spot light though? We’re in a much better position now with fan media and fan groups that are actually paying attention. We don’t have to put up with the first offer that comes along, we want the RIGHT offer to come along. 

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BPAS said:

When have we ever really put a potential owner under the spot light though? We’re in a much better position now with fan media and fan groups that are actually paying attention. We don’t have to put up with the first offer that comes along, we want the RIGHT offer to come along. 

I think we’re talking about two different things. 

Is active foundation a good thing- yes. 

Should it be trying to talk to potential owners- yes. 

Should it be trying to get a clear and well researched understanding of their motives and intentions- yes. 

However, that doesn’t change the fact that the foundation and to an even lesser extent the wider fanbase have very little power or influence over how individual spends his or her money. History tells us that. 

If I was buying the club, I’d want to talk to the foundation and let them who I was and what my plans were. But I would also be very mindful that it’s my money not theirs. And while I’m happy to talk, I will ultimately do what I think is right- it’s naive to think otherwise. We may want owner who treats us (the fans) as equal partners if you like; and constantly keeps us in the loop- But that idea is for the birds, because fans and owners will always have different filters. 

We want things we ourselves can’t afford. 

Very different when you write the cheque. 

However, notwithstanding the above- keep doing what your doing. You’re both a credit to the fans and the club. 👍🏻

I can't help wondering how Lemsagam would have come out of similar scrutiny. I suspect not too badly. His original plan, such as it was, to import and polish what he thought were good enough players for the division, wasn't without merit.  I doubt whether pre purchase scrutiny would have identified his likely subsequent behaviour and that of his brother. 

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

I can't help wondering how Lemsagam would have come out of similar scrutiny. I suspect not too badly. His original plan, such as it was, to import and polish what he thought were good enough players for the division, wasn't without merit.  I doubt whether pre purchase scrutiny would have identified his likely subsequent behaviour and that of his brother. 

I don't know - there was an article knocking about somewhere which talks about Lemsegam's time before Latics, saying he's "persona non grata" at Nantes and talks about the suspicious transfer of Queensy Menig. Didn't Mo fail the low bar of the Fit and Proper person's test, which is why he's "Sporting Director" rather than owner? There must've been something amiss..

This new chap seems to have come a cropper because he likes the limelight too much. I don't think the Lemsegams deserve less suspicion, just because they're inconspicuous...

5 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

I’d like to think we’d have uncovered his plan amounted to 1 single and rather rash idea…. As he did & would no doubt have demonstrated (via long format interview) a lack of understanding of what was genuinely required to stabilise the club & turn around our fortunes

43 minutes ago, BPAS said:

I’d like to think we’d have uncovered his plan amounted to 1 single and rather rash idea…. As he did & would no doubt have demonstrated (via long format interview) a lack of understanding of what was genuinely required to stabilise the club & turn around our fortunes

I don't like to criticise the trust but can't have been a lot of research done four years ago...  Whether he'd have done a long interview I doubt

6 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Can do all the research you want, but ultimately the owner will sell to whoever he wants to

6 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Can do all the research you want, but ultimately the owner will sell to whoever he wants to

So don't bother?

On the Pod interview, didn’t Andy make reference to Willie-Lees which I thought Chris Lees would’ve reacted or responded to if truly an Oldham lad. Intrigued to find out if this guy actually does have any connection to the town or if it’s all been a blag.

11 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

We may have even been able to help pull his pants up and extract Corney from rogering him 

7 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

So don't bother?

No, it’s a balance Dave. 

From the foundations point of view- Do everything possible (which they’re doing) to try and make sure the potential owner is of good pedigree and try to foster a good working relationship. But at the same time, realise that wealthy individuals tend to come with ego and won’t spend their money by committee.

You can have the best Foundation in the world, but at 3% they’re always going to be on the sidelines. 

On 3/11/2022 at 9:24 AM, GlossopLatic said:

So a week after this fraud has rocked up on the scene promising to regenerate Oldham Athletic and the town of Oldham through Bitcoin would it be fair to say we've all come to the same conclusion that he'd be an even bigger conman than even the current owner and indeed the landlord?

"I`ve had to take a break at 22 mins but glad it's not just me! I`ll reserve judgement until I have heard the full interview but.... jeez. He's not going to make many friends and influence people is he? The whole world order needs addressing..."

They say gut reaction is often correct Glossop and the above partial quote is what I wrote after first listening to 22 mins of his bleatings. I did say I`d give him the benefit of the doubt until I`d listened to the whole interview but, the fact I never went back to listen to it, illustrates that I thought it would be a complete waste of my precious time. I would not use the word conman - just came across, to me, as a narcissist and in my experience, they are to be avoided like the plague.

• Matt unfeatured this topic
On 3/10/2022 at 11:10 AM, LaticMark said:

It's over?

Just a quickie- the BPAS stuff is just insane - I have received a very intimidating message from Andy Halliwell who didn’t have the courtesy to contact me personally to ask me for my comments. I am disgusted by this attempted hit job. I gave 2 hours of my time to him on Sunday.

. . . and now @CLLatics has disappeared from Twitter!

https://twitter.com/CLLatics

Archived