BPAS PODCAST SEASON 2: 7th Mar '22 Episode 74: Meet Chris Lees

This week saw Latics pick up a battling point on the road against Crawley, see Mike Fondop announce on social media he was out for the season and end the week with a disappointing home defeat against Carlisle.

However, the biggest news came on Friday, with the announcement of a consortium publishing plans for the club via the Oldham Times. So this week we're delighted to provide everyone with the opportunity to meet Chris Lees.

You can now support the pod by paying a monthly subscription of just £2.99 via this link https://anchor.fm/bp-alert/subscribe. All the regular episodes will remain free to everyone.

You can also support us by visiting https://www.oafcpodcast.co.uk, subscribing to our mailing list and purchasing from our online shop.

Follow the show on Twitter, Instagram & Facebook @oafcpodcast.

Download and listen to the podcast via the FanHub app, where content creators and fans alike are rewarded for getting involved #ctg.

You can find out more about Push The Boundary by visiting them at www.pushtheboundary.co.uk and following on Twitter @PTB_OAFC. Find out more about OASF at www.oldhamathleticsupportersfoundation.com

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.com

• Matt featured this topic
  • Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't have a clue what to make of that? Seems very odd to be doing podcasts and media at this stage when he's not had any talks with the club and hasn't tabled a bid. Also thought it a little strange for him to reach out to other bidders. I'd think it's very unlikely that serious bidders would want to dilute any investment especially if their business models didn't align and I can't see the other potential bidders also being into crypto currency.

2 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Jesus christ what a charlatan. 

He thinks he's the wolf of Wall St.

I`ve had to take a break at 22 mins but glad it's not just me! I`ll reserve judgement until I have heard the full interview but.... jeez. He's not going to make many friends and influence people is he? The whole world order needs addressing and football finance is in the dark ages. I know where my money would be if he thinks he's going to challenge the "established system". Nothing wrong with new ideas but sometimes you have to be humble about these things and not talk as though you are some kind of visionary world leader.

8 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Harsh. 

Has his ‘politics’ annoyed you? 

He did say he is not political anymore and I don't know his heart was in it anyway, but Christ he was open about everything. A must listen, even if you're not into football

4 minutes ago, Mercater said:

He did say he is not political anymore and I don't know his heart was in it anyway, but Christ he was open about everything. A must listen, even if you're not into football

Sounds to me like he thinks politicians are self serving chancers and that ‘big government’ is bad. To be fair, many entrepreneurial types have that view. I agree with him.

The EU is no help to the likes of him, it is the opposite… and given his experience in Spain can anyone blame him for his view. 

15 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Can’t be arsed analysing what owners do and don’t say anymore. 

Proof will be in the pudding. 

We can’t afford that. We need to be scrutinising any potential owner. 

14 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Can’t be arsed analysing what owners do and don’t say anymore. 

Proof will be in the pudding. 

100% agree.  Listened to the whole thing and whilst he’s a fan, we’ve heard it countless times before.  Been led down the path by Moore, Blitz, Corney … the lot of them.  All false promises.

Biggest question is will the club listen to him, especially if he buys the stadium & land from Blitz?!

Would be very interested to see the other 3/4 potential purchasers talking to the club at present.

My only reservation at this stage, the BPAS and Foundation seem to be slightly won over. Could be because he’s the first to go public.  Also laughingly he’s wound up the dodgy Barry accounts on Twitter 

Just now, kowenicki said:

We can’t afford that. We need to be scrutinising any potential owner. 

Debate it if you want, but if the last 20 years tell us anything it’s that scrutinising and analysing has no material effect on whether an owner buys or sells the club. This deal-  like always, will be between a few people whose money it concerns and very little will in public domain. 

What will be will be. 

4 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

100% agree.  Listened to the whole thing and whilst he’s a fan, we’ve heard it countless times before.  Been led down the path by Moore, Blitz, Corney … the lot of them.  All false promises.

Biggest question is will the club listen to him, especially if he buys the stadium & land from Blitz?!

Would be very interested to see the other 3/4 potential purchasers talking to the club at present.

My only reservation at this stage, the BPAS and Foundation seem to be slightly won over. Could be because he’s the first to go public.  Also laughingly he’s wound up the dodgy Barry accounts on Twitter 

As a default, we have to be deeply suspicious of any potential new owner. Our last three owners have been terrible each playing their part in our current position  on and off the pitch so fans should adopt that position with good reason. I doubt very much that the trust and BPAS are so easily bought.

2 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I don’t think gratefulness for coming on the pod, and be willing to talk should be taken for naivety on their part. 

He's trying to force Addallahs and Blitz's hand. By saying to other bidders come and talk to us, he is saying lets unite, so he has less options and can't play us off against each other and we can all benefit. Then it becomes a coallition with more force

He said on Saturday that he will raise the clubs profile through the media with their proposals, which can only be good and this is the start, because if it does go wrong he has a reputation to risk, not just in Oldham. Also it will put the EFL at risk if it goes arse over tit if they approve it. He's putting it on the line, although he can go back to his house in NI

5 minutes ago, Mercater said:

He's trying to force Addallahs and Blitz's hand. By saying to other bidders come and talk to us, he is saying lets unite, so he has less options and can't play us off against each other and we can all benefit. Then it becomes a coallition with more force

He said on Saturday that he will raise the clubs profile through the media with their proposals, which can only be good and this is the start, because if it does go wrong he has a reputation to risk, not just in Oldham. Also it will put the EFL at risk if it goes arse over tit if they approve it. He's putting it on the line, although he can go back to his house in NI

. . I know. 

I was just replying to mids who thought BPAS have bought straight into it. I think they’re a lot wiser than that. 

Cautious optimism is what’s needed. 

I found it slightly disconcerting that he's not been for nearly 30 years and the talk of loans.

It's obviously positive that he wants to get the fans involved.

I think I'm on board but I'm probably not the only one who feels there's plenty more questions that need answering after listening to that... 

Archived